Beogh

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 04:02

Beogh

So, I'm playing a LOGl of Beogh and I'm wondering if I should shift my branch order. I'm XL13 and I've cleared Lair. Normally, at this point, I would go for the Orc Mines. The thing is, I'm wondering is this is a bad idea because the Orc Mines are a resource for this character, unlike most others. If I ever have a rough fight and need some Orcish Followers, the Mines would be the place to go. Need some piety? Go kill a bunch of orcs and pray over their corpses. I'm worried doing Orc now might be wasting all that resource, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I'm inexperienced with Beogh, so would any Beogh experts recommend holding off on the Mines for any reason, or just carry on as normal? Currently, I have *****- piety and only four Orc Followers. 3 Orc Knights and 1 Orc High Priest.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 04:06

Re: Beogh

the fact that orc is a convenient locker of harmless meat puppets is one of many reasons I typically put it off until the very late game

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 04:22

diviton wrote:So, I'm playing a LOGl of Beogh and I'm wondering if I should shift my branch order. I'm XL13 and I've cleared Lair. Normally, at this point, I would go for the Orc Mines. The thing is, I'm wondering is this is a bad idea because the Orc Mines are a resource for this character, unlike most others. If I ever have a rough fight and need some Orcish Followers, the Mines would be the place to go. Need some piety? Go kill a bunch of orcs and pray over their corpses. I'm worried doing Orc now might be wasting all that resource, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I'm inexperienced with Beogh, so would any Beogh experts recommend holding off on the Mines for any reason, or just carry on as normal? Currently, I have *****- piety and only four Orc Followers. 3 Orc Knights and 1 Orc High Priest.

Disclaimer: I'm definitely no expert at anything in this game besides dying. However my $.025: In addition to other benefits, Beogh sometimes gifts you with followers. Given that and given my own experiences with burning out my followers (Because they often die if you strand them between levels, mysteriously) Id say leave them where they are until you need more guys and then leave once you have a small cadre. Any more than 9 and you will lag anyway and get lots of potentially deadly ---more---s in the middle of whatever you happen to be doing. Training them up is important too so that when you hit a hard area you will have guys capable of living more than one turn vs an unexpected enemy horde. Especially squishy are the priests and mages. Someone suggested warehousing extra ones you get in a safe place (temple) but that seems rather time-consuming/tedious. I think you are better off delving into the mines a little at a time, unless you really are gear poor and expect shops to be on O4. In which case do what you can to mitigate the Messiah effect by not autoexploring everywhere.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 04:43

I'm actually doing really well and don't feel like the Mines are necessary. I've been going into the dungeon and I have a stash of somewhere between 25-35 Orcs on D:10 right now. It's crazy. I didn't know Beogh was so generous, but he's been giving me Orc followers since I keep stashing them in one room on D:10.

I also just had the most laughably easy Bailey. Nothing good unfortunately, though I did find a Glowing Bardiche and I want one of my Orcs to pick it up. Is there a way to make them do so?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 05:52

Trying to avoid places where you expect orcs to be as a follower of Beogh never really seemed like a worthwhile effort to me. If the monsters are tough enough to threaten the knights and warlords you've been working on for a while, the vanilla orcs that make up 90% of Orc are going to pop faster than soap bubbles. You can recruit an extra fifty orcs, but if you try to use them you'll only have an extra pile of orc corpses to pray over. Better are the few higher-level orcs that might make an appearance, but those are even more valuable if you get them earlier.

Orcs continue to spawn all the way down the Dungeon and through Depths. The orcs you get there will be generally higher in quality, too. As long as you aren't completely helpless without your subjects, you should be able to recover from a reasonable number of follower mishaps and still have a few survivors for Zot.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 06:22

That's a very good point. Having a bunch of new Orc followers isn't going to be worth a damn if I don't have anywhere to realistically level them up. The stronger Orc's in the Mines really aren't even that strong when held up against the more dangerous enemies in Depths and Zot anyway, so I see why you'd say I should get them now. Well put and following that advice. Especially after discovering how frequently Beogh gifts followers. I was also pleased when inadvertently discovered that the recall orcish followers ability recalls them even if they're on different floors.

Still leaves the issue of getting them to pick up gear. Are they even capable of such a thing?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 06:50

ctrl+t will give you a the choice of allowing it.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 07:22

Hirsch I wrote:ctrl+t will give you a the choice of allowing it.

This is true. However it is of limited use as it seems orc followers with generic non ego items will keep them in preference to ego weapons much of the time. Unfortunately this means you have to dance around a bit and hope they change their minds eventually.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 27th March 2014, 07:43

well, nobody said beogh was fun or something.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
duvessa

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 15:29

I'm by no means sure about this, but it seems to me that the orcs will prioritize orcish equipment -> base damage -> brands when it come to picking up weapons and armor off the floor.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd April 2014, 16:18

Tell your high level guys to wait (t w) by your stash.

Go to orc 4 and check out the stores. t w any orcs that try to follow you.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice