What kind of armor can Trolls wear?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:03

What kind of armor can Trolls wear?

I'm doing the TrAM weekly challenge and I'm wondering what kind of armor they can equip. I looked for a list but to no avail, so I must ask you kind folk. I'm pretty sure they can equip Troll Leather Armor and Dragon Armors, but even that I'm not sure of. Also, robes apparently...

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:05

Re: What kind of armor can Trolls wear?

Robes, Dragon Armours, and Troll Leather Armour (and Hides). However, Troll Leather Armour does not provide Trolls with additional regeneration (unless that was changed at some point). And Hats and Cloaks.
Last edited by Abominae on Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:06

Well you answered your own question. The three things you listed are the three things they can wear.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:07

Cloaks, hats (not helmets), shields other than bucklers, body armour other than leather armour, ring mail, scale mail, chain mail, plate armour, crystal plate armour.

All of you forgot animal skins.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:42

Excellent. Guess I didn't need to ask. Since you're here, should I be leveling Dex, or just sticking with Str? I'm mostly going UC with some skill invested in throwing large rocks. Right now (XL12) I have 26 Str and 9 Dex.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:46

diviton wrote:Excellent. Guess I didn't need to ask. Since you're here, should I be leveling Dex, or just sticking with Str? I'm mostly going UC with some skill invested in throwing large rocks. Right now (XL12) I have 26 Str and 9 Dex.

You already have 26 Str, will get an automatic Str every 3rd level, and still thinking about raising Str some more? Why?

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:54

I just don't know if Dex is useful for Trolls. I've never played one. I figure if they get all this Str it might be for a good reason. Don't know what UC damage is based off.

Was quaff ID'ing potions, which I rarely do, but I usually feel safe to on stacks of 3 or greater. Well a 3 stack ended up being mutation. Got +2 AC and See Invisible, but I also god Frail. I'm thinking +2 AC and See Invis aren't worth 10% HP, but since I'm asking questions! Thoughts? I don't have cMut identified yet, but it could be one of my many un'ID'd potions.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 17:58

diviton wrote:I just don't know if Dex is useful for Trolls.

Dex is useful, of course, more useful than Str. But the real question is: Dex or Int? As trolls cannot wear plate, you will be wearing light armour, which is ideal for casting some utility spells like repel missiles, swiftness, blink, animate skeleton, flight, corona, etc. Unless you went with Trog.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 18:04

Magipi wrote:
diviton wrote:I just don't know if Dex is useful for Trolls.

Dex is useful, of course, more useful than Str. But the real question is: Dex or Int? As trolls cannot wear plate, you will be wearing light armour, which is ideal for casting some utility spells like repel missiles, swiftness, blink, animate skeleton, flight, corona, etc. Unless you went with Trog.

You'll be wearing dragon armour and magic aptitudes of trolls are abysmal, so I'd suggest dex.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 18:07

Being large means they get a penalty to dodging, but this can still be offset by dodging. Getting dex will raise your EV just like any other race. You'll be a bit lower, but there's no reason not to train dodging on a troll. You won't be in plate, as already mentioned. Unless you go with GDA, you'll probably be in something fairly light (fire/ice dragon armor). It's a good idea to train both dodging and armor if you're in those armors; which you train first and when depends on when you find an actual hide. I'd probably do dodging until you find one, then switch to armor, then once you have enough armor (10-15) go back to dodging. This assumes you are currently interested in training a defense - if you're training other skills don't interrupt that for defenses.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice