Any advice on how to not completely suck as a mummy?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 22:11

Any advice on how to not completely suck as a mummy?

The title says it all really.
I really like mummies, and I don't know why.
Perhaps it's penance for all the times I played wizard in D&D 3.5.
Anyway, does anyone have some advice?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 22:32

Re: Any advice on how to not completely suck as a mummy?

I can't think of any specific advice. Mummies play like a normal character, except you should be aware that you suck, and can't just quaff HW out of a tough situation, and are extra-flammable. Oh, well, and if you get confused you die. That's lovely too.

I found MuNe^Kiku to be pretty straightforward. Raise skeletons/zombies, get pain, get Simulacrum, don't neglect defenses. Vampiric Draining really helps early on. Requires high minion tolerance, though - at least the way I played it.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Klown

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 22:34

Mostly just play like you would play a human that cannot haste/heal for much of the game, and treat confusion like instant death (which is what it is).

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 23:09

Thanks! Also, a more specific question: would abusing the lack of food clock be a good idea, and if so how much grinding would be possible before OOD stuff shows up?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 23:24

I don't recall specifically abusing lack of hunger clock, though I'm a pretty slow player with or without mummies.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 23:32

When I played a mummy, it was a summoner (well, actually started as a wizard). Summons protect you, and no food means spamming the biggest spell is possible.

But that was back in the old days. I don't know if a summoner is still viable after the recent nerfs.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 23:41

Why is confusion instant death? Is it because they can't quaff curing to fix it, or is it literally instant death if a mummy gets confused?
Last edited by Laraso on Thursday, 20th March 2014, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th March 2014, 23:59

It's because they can't quaff !curing, yes. It makes confusion nearly as bad as paralysis, and way more common. At least noxious fumes don't affect you.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 01:01

Laraso wrote:Why is confusion instant death? Is it because they can't quaff healing to fix it, or is it literally instant death if a mummy gets confused?
Yes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 01:03

Igxfl wrote:It's because they can't quaff !curing, yes. It makes confusion nearly as bad as paralysis, and way more common.
Confusion as a mummy is much worse than paralysis. From most sources, confusion lasts several times longer than paralysis, and you don't get confusion immunity from being confused.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 02:24

Axes and/or Ashenzari can help a lot with confusion, so they get better with mummies.

edit: the axes is a lie as seen below, don't trust it. I wonder why I thought I remembered that working?
Last edited by rchandra on Thursday, 20th March 2014, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 03:35

Cleaving is disabled while confused.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
damiac, pratamawirya, rchandra, WalkerBoh

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 06:34

Can't remember if it was 11 or 12 I played a MuSu with, but if you can survive long enough to get Summon Ice Beast castlable, it's a fairly powerful combo due to infinite summons. Mummies still suck, but infinite dragons was quite nice, albeit terribly boring.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 15:57

Except now you can't have as many summons around you as you want. They are hard-capped now. Channeling is still abusable by Mummies but that's about it and it doesn't nearly make up for the liabilities, at least not until pretty late in the game.

Necromancer, Summoner, Wizard are less terrible as far as Mummies go, with Sif and Kiku being good god choices. But basically yeah Mummies are just terrible humans and your chance for terrible unfair deaths goes from "practically 0" to "actually quite possible" whenever you play one. Good luck!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 17:57

Mummy Warpers are perhaps the hardest mummy class to play, in my opinion. It feels like I have a 70% chance of dying to the first rat I come across when I play as one.

I've always found Mummy Summoners, Mummy Necromancers, and Mummy Wizard/Conjurers to be actually really good if you go with Sif, though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 19:03

I dont understand how a mummy conjurer of ash is considered difficult. I suck at crawl and even I feel like that's easy to play...

Also, I don't think confusion has ever killed me as a mummy. Maybe it's just because I haven't played more than a few hundred, but it never seems to be an issue since I usually find a source of clarity.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 19:06

I don't understand how you can say about non-difficult if you played a few hundreds. My second MuSu (or maybe Wz?) of Sif Muna stupidly died in late Lair, that's what I call non-difficult ;)

Edit. I haven't played Mu since that game.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 20th March 2014, 22:19

If something requires getting a specific god relatively early to be strong it is pretty bad by definition, though. Yes if you get a star of Sif piety by D4 or D5 you can bend Mummies that start with a summon to being not terrible. You still can't get confused though, and you have rF-, and you have terrible aptitudes and that matters more now that there are summon caps, because it is harder to just coast with imps for a long time through sheer number. So I think "some backgrounds make for a less terrible mummy" rather than "make for a strong start" seems warranted IMO.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice