Unarmed on a flexible character

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 08:28

Unarmed on a flexible character

Lately I've been playing a lot of characters that I build in the direction that the game seems to be pushing me. I'll skill based on the items I find, choose a god based on the first altar that seems even reasonably appropriate to the character, and so forth.

The question that has arisen is under what circumstances does it make sense for a character that is looking to be flexible to start training unarmed?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 08:44

Re: Unarmed on a flexible character

Unarmed is a greedy skill, it doesn't cross train, and will suck in as much XP as you pour into it without ever reaching a point where you say "Oh, I don't need any more of that, I'll go train something else" It also doesn't combine particularly well with heavy armor, or to a lesser degree, shields.

As such it doesn't lend itself *particularly* well to flexibility. That being said, there are some things which might make it more appealing:

1. Slaying effects unarmed, enchant weapon scrolls do not, therefore in a game where slaying is available and enchant weapon scrolls are rare, unarmed is more appealing.
2. Some transmutations use unarmed, in a game where you have access to those transmutations unarmed is more appealing than in games where you do not.
3. Claws increases your unarmed damage (And does so in a way that scales with the unarmed skill), in a game where you have claws, unarmed is more appealing
4. Heavy armour imposes a larger penalty on unarmed damage than weapons, in a game where you're disinclined to use heavy armour anyway (Either because it's unavailable or you lack the strength for it) unarmed becomes slightly more appealing.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 08:47

Weeksy wrote:The question that has arisen is under what circumstances does it make sense for a character that is looking to be flexible to start training unarmed?

You are playing a demonspawn and you get claws on d:1. That's about it, going by what you are describing.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks:
Wahaha

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 11:19

mikee wrote:
Weeksy wrote:The question that has arisen is under what circumstances does it make sense for a character that is looking to be flexible to start training unarmed?

You are playing a demonspawn and you get claws on d:1. That's about it, going by what you are describing.

Really? I haven't seen claws on a demonspawn yet...is this on a particular build of DCSS?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 11:25

Demonspawn either get one of (claws|hooves|talons|horns|antennae) or (10% chance) claws, and hooves or talons, and horns or antennae ("monstrous demonspawn").

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 11:46

Sar wrote:Demonspawn either get one of (claws|hooves|talons|horns|antennae) or (10% chance) claws, and hooves or talons, and horns or antennae ("monstrous demonspawn").

Why do I always see no mutations to start then? I mean eventually you get something but all I've seen in the first few levels is scales.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 11:52

it is random.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 12:00

Hirsch I wrote:it is random.

That's what I assumed. IE: For someone like myself trying unarmed DSXX is a terrible idea because randomly I may or may not get anything worth using on it.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 12:03

Well, UC is pretty great without claws.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 12:05

well, my favourite combo is DsMo, full unarmed, so I guess I have a bias. :lol:
but UC is awesome, even without claws or transmut. not having to find increasingly powerful weapons, and yet deal more damage than most of them is really nice.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 13:58

Training any skill past 20 is probably bad play. Unarmed Combat heavily encourages you to do so. This is my way of telling you not to use unarmed combat.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 14:03

Well so does Trog, sort of, and Trog is pretty good.
And 20 UC is enough to punch everything in the game to death, even disregarding Transmutations.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice