Re-assign rod hotkeys?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 22:44

Re-assign rod hotkeys?

So I notice that there are certain items that are wieldable but you cannot change the key associated with them.

To make it clear what I am talking about when I am wielding a mace or something and find a new better weapon that I want to assign to 'a', I can go in to my inventory, access the item, and press '=' for 'adjust' and then change that weapon to be a.

However this function isn't available for certain items which I definitely would want to be able to quickly swap to, like a rod of any thing or a lantern of shadows IIRC. If I find a rod of lightning on D8 and want to assign it to 'b', it seems like that is not possible unless I am missing something.

When an item I want to wield quite often ends up assigned to my 'j' key or something and there is no way to alter that it is a minor annoyance.

Is this intended? This seems like an oversight to me. It seems to be that I should be able to 'adjust' any item in my inventory no matter what its type is; it's really just a matter of player convenience. Also, for players that have some type of handi-cap (for instance if they are unable to use one of their hands) being unable to re-assign item keys as they see fit could potentially make it much more difficult for them to play.

I am refraining from putting this in the game design section since I am not sure if this is an actual problem or if I am just missing something obvious.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 23:39

Re: Re-assign rod hotkeys?

You're missing something obvious. You can assign any item to any inventory letter you'd like. I frequently assign rods to 'b'

Try hitting = first (Rather than going into your inventory first)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
HotCrab

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice