DrCj 4/15 runes in. Do I have any chance at 15?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 15th February 2014, 16:10

DrCj 4/15 runes in. Do I have any chance at 15?

Looking for advice on this run: http://pastebin.com/PjnLz7X8

I've cleared dungeon, lair, snake, swamp, slime, crypt, vaults

I've only ascended once before, and this is my first caster. Any advice for getting this guy as many runes as possible?

I've had little trouble with most of the run so far. I'm mostly spamming chain lightning and tornado. Only Mennas and a recent encounter with an orb of fire mauled me badly - I had to burn consumables and flee from both.

But I've had really lousy luck with gear as you can probably tell - I'm particularly hurting for resistances. I had to clear swamp and snake without poison resistance. I've started to clear Zot but got absolutely smashed by the orb of fire and I don't have a lot of options open to me as far as resist stuff. What's my next step? Wander the abyss hoping to find some gear and another rune? Pandemonium?

I've got a couple of minor negative mutations (-2 dex, -2 strength, screaming) but I have 3 potions of cure mutation stashed, and a potion of beneficial mutation. Saving them for after some of the more mutation heavy stuff.

I have various other items in stash, including hat of pondering, but most of my best gear is on me.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th February 2014, 16:20

Re: DrCj 4/15 runes in. Do I have any chance at 15?

No usual rings of cold/fire resistances so far?
I would train more Evocations, put on Amulet of 4 winds and start using crystal ball of energy.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 15th February 2014, 16:21

For rPois, you should chop swamp dragons. Or did they not drop any hides?

B - ring of Friremes {Hunger- -Tele Dex+3 Stlth++} don't wear this or at least don't forget to remove it when you know you'll fight monsters.

For a crystal ball of energy you could train some more evocations.

2 more levels of staves for a maximum attack speed. Btw evo will also increase the damage with the staff.

Mostly, your character looks pretty good. But if you have a ring of fire resistance, at least, wear it instead of the one mentioned above. Maybe check shops. ctrl-f "fire resistance" and "rF+". You might do the same for "cold resistance"/"rC+", since your second ring isn't that great, too. I'm not sure, but you could probably ctrl-f "shield" for glowing/runed, since there could be a shield of resistance.

Identify q - an iron wand.

The abyssal rune is usually considered to be the next one to get.

Since you are using a normal shield, could as well train it to 15, since it will remove any penalties.

Also, no gloves? Seriously? ctrl-f gloves just in case.

ps: paste dumps into [code] [/codе] there is a button for this.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 01:36

Thanks for the replies.

In response

* I can't wear a dragon hide or armour because I am a draconian

* removing ring of Friremes... that's probably good advice.. I like the teleport suppression so I can't be teleported by enemies but I should probably leave it off by default

* I'm training evocations for the ball

* I'm training up shields and staves a little more

* I do have some okay +Str gloves. Forgot to put them back on after the slime pit.

* No rings of fire or cold resist. There's one with rF+ and hunger which I'll probably need to use, but spell hunger is a pretty serious issue on this character

* I'm using amulet of the gourmand right now because my permafood supply isn't looking that good. The four winds amulet goes on when I need the resists, and I also have an Amulet of the Air which is probably better.

* I'll head to abyss next

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 03:00

Abyssal rune was no trouble. Now.. I guess Pan? :/

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 05:45

wearedevo wrote:Abyssal rune was no trouble. Now.. I guess Pan? :/

Afaik you should generally do Pan last, since you need to be able to take on all 4 of the unique Pan lords, which include arguably the two strongest uniques in the game (Cerebov and Gloorx Vloq). Because you encounter them randomly and only get one shot at their floor, you risk losing a rune forever if you run into them and aren't strong enough to beat them (or at least ninja the rune).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 10:21

Viashino_wizard wrote:
wearedevo wrote:Abyssal rune was no trouble. Now.. I guess Pan? :/

Afaik you should generally do Pan last, since you need to be able to take on all 4 of the unique Pan lords, which include arguably the two strongest uniques in the game (Cerebov and Gloorx Vloq). Because you encounter them randomly and only get one shot at their floor, you risk losing a rune forever if you run into them and aren't strong enough to beat them (or at least ninja the rune).

The Hells are harder than Pan. There are hell effects, there are lots of fiends (in Pan, there are also fiends, but not on the unique levels). Also, you can control teleports in Pan, so stealing runes is relatively easy, but not on the rune levels of Hell.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
moocowmoocow

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 10:42

I did Tomb. It was tough and I blew through around 20 curing potions clearing rot status from death curses, but I made it. Again, nothing for me in the treasure vaults. This is an awful run for loot.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 10:51

wearedevo wrote:I did Tomb. It was tough and I blew through around 20 curing potions clearing rot status from death curses, but I made it. Again, nothing for me in the treasure vaults. This is an awful run for loot.

Oops, and I forgot to say that the Tomb is even harder than Hell :D

(But there are good players who disagree).

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 14:10

Splat in Pan to a 2 x hell sentinel / brimstone fiend welcoming commitee. Not too bothered.. this was my first crack at endgame and I managed six runes including tomb which was really tough.

Should have remembered to cast reflect missiles though.

I'm sure I could have ascended easily but my goal this time was to see as much as possible. I've seen hells and pan now, and I did not like them, but I will be back with Zin or TSO to help out.

Btw, Tomb wasn't so much hard as extremely slow and painstaking - pulling a few mummies at a time, dealing with them, recovering from the curses. The death curses are the thing you really have to worry about there. I found evoking efreet bottles and lamps of fire helpful with the mummies, because they'd cop the curses for me.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 14:20

Getting 6 runes is pretty ok and I wouldn't really consider it a loss.

Next time you could try DE**^Veh (Wz is my favourite). They get a lot of MP and can easily max out spellcasting will not focusing on it, which allows learning a lot of spells at lower exp costs. They are not very tough, but Wz has some nice support spells (DMsl, Meph Cloud, Blink, Conjure flame, I love all of these, you can make use of slow and Imp, but I don't favour them, they are pretty strong though) and you can usually kill anything faster than they can harm you if you position yourself well.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 20:09

wearedevo wrote:Splat in Pan to a 2 x hell sentinel / brimstone fiend welcoming commitee. Not too bothered.. this was my first crack at endgame and I managed six runes including tomb which was really tough.

Should have remembered to cast reflect missiles though.

I'm sure I could have ascended easily but my goal this time was to see as much as possible. I've seen hells and pan now, and I did not like them, but I will be back with Zin or TSO to help out.

Btw, Tomb wasn't so much hard as extremely slow and painstaking - pulling a few mummies at a time, dealing with them, recovering from the curses. The death curses are the thing you really have to worry about there. I found evoking efreet bottles and lamps of fire helpful with the mummies, because they'd cop the curses for me.

Well done on clearing Tomb. It is almost identical every time (same layout and everything, same sphinx pack on the first floor, etc.) so if you've done it once, you really know what to expect. Once you've cleared Tomb one time, clearing it again (assuming your character is well prepared) is kind of like driving while really tired at 2 AM, and no one is on the road. For some people that's extremely difficult, for others it isn't exactly difficult but just really exhausting. Things can go terrible in Tomb really fast if you make a couple of bad moves (even more so than other places), but you more or less know exactly what to expect. In my opinion Hells are as bad, if not worse. But I actually find Slime and Pan really fun, those are the only parts of "extended" I enjoy playing. Abyss is tolerable. But Tomb and the Hells just feel like a slog and I never do them any more.

EDIT: Also I feel like I end up disagreeing with Amnesiac in every thread, but... Obviously try out whatever species you want, but I really have to say deep elf is a bad choice if you are specifically hoping to go for more than 5 runes.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 20:34

Um, I just said he could try them. I won my only 15-rune'er(and the first win) with DEWz, though. And a 6-rune'er without training any defensive/weapon skills :) They are frail, but are the best spellcasters(and can wear a robe of archmagi, that I like so much, unlike Dr).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 20:38

Amnesiac wrote:Um, I just said he could try them. I won my only 15-rune'er(and the first win) with DEWz, though. And a 6-rune'er without training any defensive/weapon skills :) They are frail, but are the best spellcasters(and can wear a robe of archmagi, that I like so much, unlike Dr).

Given that finding a robe of the archmagi is very unlikely during a 3-rune game I don't think this should factor into the decision. It's even less likely that he will find one during the parts of the game where he is likely to die. Also, archmagi is good but it's not better than Dr's natural AC (which allows you to invest less exp into defensive skills, allowing more exp in magic skills, meaning more spellpower!).
There is enough exp in crawl that aptitudes are hardly going to be the biggest problem, especially because a lot of easier races also have good magic apts (Dr, Hu, Mf, etc)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 20:41

DE aren't particularly weak in the context of getting more than 5 runes, not more than they are in the context of a 3 rune win anyway (more runes means more exp to make your little elf bones less prone to breaking) although they aren't at all the best "spellcasters" and compared to Dr they are a hilariously worse choice when trying to get extended done with a guy who casts spells.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 20:46

IDK... I like DE and you can't stop me liking them. Also if I won a DE without defences that means that they are not so frail that they can't kill monsters faster then they are killed by them. Their apts + the highest int allows them to get some stuff sooner and kill most guys in one or two casts.

They are not the toughest race I admit that. Which holds some risk, OK. But for me having evein 20-30% more hp is not a good enough trade-off for being worse at magic.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 20:57

Amnesiac wrote:IDK... I like DE and you can't stop me liking them. Also if I won a DE without defences that means that they are not so frail that they can't kill monsters faster then they are killed by them. Their apts + the highest int allows them to get some stuff sooner and kill most guys in one or two casts.

They are not the toughest race I admit that. Which holds some risk, OK. But for me having evein 20-30% more hp is not a good enough trade-off for being worse at magic.

You don't need to invest as much into defensive skills and thus Dr aren't that much worse at magic, because you have more exp to spare for magical skills (and, again, apts aren't going to be the problem, it's mainly tactics and correct skill training). Winning a DE with no defensive skills is either a fluke or you're just really good at tactics and like self-imposed challenges, which I wouldn't assume about OP.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:09

Nah. It's all quite simple and it's not a fluke. You just muster all the SP you can and kill them quickly one at a time. That's a quite viable strategy, imo. You might be doubtful, but have you ever tried? :) I think you might be a bit prejudiced with your optimal play policies. It might be easier than you think, actually. Oh and if you max spellcasting(which is easy for DE and almost only DE), and you have wizardry, you only need like 4-5 charms for haste, 7 tlocs for cBlink and about 9(not sure) necro for DDoor, which might come handy.

Well, I think I would play any mage nearly the same way if I want a blasty mage. A Dr would be more durable and as worse at magic as he more durable which probably has about the same usefullness. You would be more durable, but wouldn't be able to kill monsters as quickly.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:25

You might be doubtful, but have you ever tried?

yes (following a guide from the wiki, though!)

you might be a bit prejudiced with your optimal play policies

what

about 9(not sure) necro for DDoor

what

Not getting defenses on a race that has good dex and a +2 dodging apt is strange. A lot of times training dodging levels will require less exp than spellcasting levels and getting some EV is simply more efficient in terms of investment/returns than training spell skills. The whole "you can get all of these good spells easily" argument is an argument for training dodging at some point because after getting all these spells easily there will be a lot of exp left for training dodging! There aren't that many useful spell schools (say you train necro, conjurations & an element to level 6 conjurations levels, charms for haste and translocations for controlled blink, that leaves a lot of exp for defensive skills and possibly a melee weapon. And there will be times in the game where you haven't found these great spells yet and want something good to do with your exp).

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:30

Just so you know you are reducing the power of your spells considerably by overtraining spc to "only" train a bit of each spell school and putting yourself at a much worse position than a sanely trained DE would be (and giving up what little offensive advantage you could've had over for example a casting Dr).

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:33

cerebovssquire wrote:
about 9(not sure) necro for DDoor

what

Yes, yes, that's about right. That is with wizardry(like I said) and all Int gains.
cerebovssquire wrote:Not getting defenses on a race that has good dex and a +2 dodging apt is strange. A lot of times training dodging levels will require less exp than spellcasting levels and getting some EV is simply more efficient in terms of investment/returns than training spell skills.

Please don't take that out of context... I never said, training defenses is bad, that was just an example(of a challenge game). An example that says that having a bit less toughness won't kill you. I, myself, always advice players to train some fighting, dodging and 5 shields with a buckler if it's cheap and fairly critical at that point.

dck wrote:Just so you know you are reducing the power of your spells considerably by overtraining spc to "only" train a bit of each spell school and putting yourself at a much worse position than a sanely trained DE would be (and giving up what little offensive advantage you could've had over for example a casting Dr).

Just so you know, spellcasting will be useful for any spellschool eventually, so while giving what 1/4 less spellpower, It's usefull for like 6+ schools you will train anyway. For example if you are a DEFE, if you train 20% spellcasting and 40% fire and conjurations, you will get about the same level(a bit less). Well, you don't really need it, and you might get more use out of other skills early on, but eventually maxing a +3apt skill will be easy and useful. Why would you want to train charms more than you should if you only use if for occasional haste, while spellcasting benefits all of the other schools, including your attacking spells. Well, that's not in any
way necessary, but it's as good as an idea of just training more of other schools, while it gives you small, but pleasant bonuses, like MP, spell schools and reduced spellhunger(or nonexistent, eventually).

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:51

Also there's no way in hell that you are casting death's door with 9 skill in Necro, even with wizardry and 45 int and 27 skill in spell casting. Nor with 9 skill in Necromancy and 9 skill in Charms, if that's what you meant. Jesus you can't even read the Necronomicon with only 9 skill in Necromancy. [EDIT: 45 int, wizardry, 10 charms and 14 necromancy and 27 spell casting will do it. But raising spell casting that high and dumping all into INT just in case of death's door showing up is unreasonable.]

dck: DE aren't my favorite for normal games either, but what I meant was that there are at least some ways you can use deep elf's skewed aptitudes to your advantage in a 3 or 5 rune game, but those matter a lot less nearing the end of a longer game, thanks to the sheer volume of experience you get. A Dr who has 10 runes (assuming you aren't speedrunning or something) can have close to the same magical prowess (in all meaningful senses of the word) and the same MP as one of Amnesiac's one-sided blasters, along with all the other stuff a good character should have. (Okay, I guess DE can have tornado *and* fire storm online faster, but really at that point you are just getting both because you feel it is cool to be able to cast both, not because you need them. That's fine to get if you want to but it isn't a reasonable basis for recommending a species to someone else. And you can always just worship Ash and get both on a species that doesn't have -20% HP.)

However the DE will always have -20% HP, outside of some really great luck with mutations. So the distinct benefits of a DE (such as they are) seem to matter less on a longer time line, because its only real benefits are aptitudes. — Well, sure, most characters look the same on a long enough time line. But -20% HP always sucks regardless.
Last edited by and into on Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:53

Imagine what you could do with all the exp you have to invest to raise Spellcasting from, say, 20 to 27 (which brings very little benefit even compared to raising other skills from 20 to 27, which is very rarely useful in the first place).

Please don't take that out of context... I never said, training defenses is bad, that was just an example(of a challenge game). An example that says that having a bit less toughness won't kill you. I, myself, always advice players to train some fighting, dodging and 5 shields with a buckler if it's cheap and fairly critical at that point.

Having a bit less toughness (I thought we were discussing training literally no defensive skills, which would constitute a lot less toughness) is going to kill you a lot more often than having less Spellcasting skill. I realise that it's doable (again, I have played this kind of game myself before) but OP wants to know how he can get as many runes as possible.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 21:58

Yeah, I might be wrong about 9, but I din't think that I'm that far off. For example, I'm sure about being able to cast level 6 spell - Haste at 4 charms(maybe less), if you have wizardry, 27 spellcasting and all the Int gains.

Oh, and I wouln't want any gains into other stats than Int if I'm a caster, that doesn't make sense. I mean what's the point? Carrying 10 bread rations that you will never use? :)(with 27 spellcasting that is ;))

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 22:05

Wow this is absolutely terrible.
Also there's a difference between a level six single school spell and a level eight dual one.
do you even know what ddoor does and how it uses necro?

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 22:18

You're harsh. Ok, it's been some time since I've played that build.
I made a mage in wizmod with 37 Int, wizardry, 10 Necro and 6 charms and he has DDoor at 56% fail, which mean that just a bit more of something will get him there :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 22:21

"get there" in the case of DDoor means very good casting percentage (since it really isn't the kind of spell you want to miscast under the circumstances that you often cast it) which is a long way from 56%

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 22:34

Ok. But it's not like you would want to cast it 1 hit away from death(you want when you are, but you shouldn't be in the first place, this means that you messed up real bad). So with a ring of +5 Int and a hat +3. I have 11% fail at 10 necro/charms which is quite castable, imo. You don't spam DDoor anyway. You could improve that with a bit of training and artifacts, by the late game. (edit: with 3 more int it's down to 8%)

But the point is that you don't need as much investment, right? So ok, it's not lv9 (point taken, you can't even read necronomicon at 9 :)), but is 10-11 much? Do you want 0% fail or something? You shouldn't let yourself be in a situation when you are one hit from death, and in a 3 rune game there shouldn't be a situation where you'll get killed with 100% hp in one turn and later investing 2 more levels is worth nearly nothing.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 22:45

Death's door uses necro/2 and kiku piety to determine how many hps you're left with (this matters) and borg's depends on power heavily (in the setup you're describing it is nonsensical to not have borg's at, so this matter even more) to see how many max hps you lose. You're willingly weakening these spells by training ridiculous amounts of spc instead of necro for them.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
and into

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 22:48

~90-100 SP is pretty ok, imo. With a robe of archmagi(they come by at some point) it will be even much better for a fail-button. I've never been in a situation where I'd want to cast borg's and permanently weaken my character, btw. I did learn it, just in case.

Also, with just 10 levels of spell schools and a couple of enhancers, you'll have all the spell power you want, but we are talking about the extended game, OP wants all the runes, I presume, so you'll want all the spell levels you can get. Learning spells like necromutation and haunt will definetely be useful, maybe even deflect missiles, depending on what resistances you have. Haste, LCS, one of storms, butterflies, cBlink, blink, apportation. Well, you get the idea. You can probably survive without one of those, but for clearing the whole game, including Ziggs they will all have their use.
Last edited by Amnesiac on Sunday, 16th February 2014, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 22:56

Amnesiac wrote:I've never been in a situation where I'd want to cast borg's and permanently weaken my character, btw. I did learn it, just in case.

Have you ever died?

For this message the author sage has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, duvessa, Sar

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 23:03

Of course, but not with the whole set of what I added above. And with the current level of knowledge.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 23:06

Amnesiac wrote:Ok. But it's not like you would want to cast it 1 hit away from death(you want when you are, but you shouldn't be in the first place, this means that you messed up real bad). So with a ring of +5 Int and a hat +3. I have 11% fail at 10 necro/charms which is quite castable, imo. You don't spam DDoor anyway. You could improve that with a bit of training and artifacts, by the late game. (edit: with 3 more int it's down to 8%)

Good fail rate helps to not be in a situation where you need to cast it one hit away from death because you miscast it when you tried to cast it when you weren't one hit away from death. 11% is way too high (though that is pretty good for 10 necro/charms, none the less what dck said applies).
Borg has an incredibly low impact on the strength of your character. It takes 2-10% away from your HP - closer to the 2% if you have decent spellpower! - which is one of many factors in how strong your character is (other defenses, resistances, damage output etc. factor into this to varying degrees). In my last game I cast it 3 times and I would have happily cast it 3 times more.

You will probably be casting ddoor more but borg is still an extremely good spell (especially since it's easier to cast than ddoor, though this is relevant to this discussion).

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 16th February 2014, 23:09

Having 48 Int is not that hard when you have 5-6 runes, which brings DDoor to 8% at 10 necro/charms and about 92 SP x 1.5 with archmagi(is that what enhancers do?).You may say it's rare, but I think I usually find one when I check all the magic robes. Acquirements, elf:3 vaults, shops also increase the probability. So when you are determined to find one, you probably will).

Anyway, that's how I play and win and I find my way the easiest, so this way has at least one little bit of viability.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 11:05

I'll revive the thread to mention that a new unspoiled player would probably want to concentrate on just quickly blasting everything to death without caring for noise and MP conservation, so maxing evo for cboe and staff of energy would be good for extended game(you wouldn't want to rest in hells, anyway).

Also returning to spellcasting. New players like to play with a lot of high levels spells. This incudes me in the past.

We aren't talking about the general optimality of the play style, we are talking about letting a new player comfortably see all the parts of the game, including spells. This won't teach you much about tactics, though.

Optimally it would be probably good to just have stealth, haste(you can have this on consumables), blink, butterflies, apportation and LCS(the maximum single-target damage and optimally you don't fight more that 1 monster at a time)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 13:57

Can this thread just not rest.
A new player is better off learning how to build an overall strong character instead of learning to build some atrocity that ignores important factors of the game like positioning and MP usage- this is because the former helps him improve and become a better player who can then use this experience while trying all sorts of different characters while the latter leads to a completely skewed point of view that makes him have to relearn how to tackle the game again when he wants to play something less ridiculous.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 14:26

You just like to flatly refuse all ways which are not the same as yours.
If both are viable then there is no way that is more correct. Wanting to clear the game and see all monsters and places is one thing(that's what I wanted in my first playthrough) and wanting to learn tactics and other smart stuff is another thing. There are always stronger builds that can ignore problems of weaker/harder to play builds.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 14:42

All builds are equal, but some builds are more equal than others.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 14:47

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 14:48

If both are viable then there is no way that is more correct. Wanting to clear the game and see all monsters and places is one thing(that's what I wanted in my first playthrough) and wanting to learn tactics and other smart stuff is another thing. There are always stronger builds that can ignore problems of weaker/harder to play builds.

"tactics and other smart stuff" is exactly what will allow someone to see all monsters and places without dying because you have like 15/15 defenses and 120 HP in Zot. These goals are not mutually exclusive or even independent of each other.

Even interpreting "viable" as "it's possible to win with this" and not "a good character", that doesn't imply that one isn't more correct. One strategy gives you good defense and one strategy aims to put ridiculous amonts of exp into offensive skills to compensate for your not training defensive skills for no reason whatsoever, and on top of that training spellcasting to 27 for no reason whatsoever. It is much more probable that OP will get as many runes as possible with a decent strategy. And if you think the novelty value of many high-level spells is relevant, there is enough exp in extended to do whatever you want with it after using a strategy that makes sense to get to that point.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 14:58

but muck is actually secretly a great stabber combo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 15:04

pretty sure jeanjacques has done chaos stabbing in the past, in plate armour when stabbing skill still existed no less
but everything is different for jeanjacques so whatever

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 15:08

@sar: great because you hit a ko with your sword and it explodes so you go play something else and have fun right.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Sar

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 15:08

cerebovssquire wrote:
15/15 defenses and 120 HP in Zot..

We are talking about 15 rune game, do you think it's possible to have such bad defences in zot:5 after collecting those?

This one is my first win with those tactics before I had no choice but to put exp into something at least a bit useful. Note that I didn't have a weapon skill almost until the orb run.
  Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.11.2 (tiles) character file.

8472865 Bob the Archmage (level 27, 196/196 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Wizard on Apr 18, 2013.
             Was a High Priest of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Apr 20, 2013!

The game lasted 20:05:16 (221169 turns).

Bob the Archmage (Deep Elf Wizard)                Turns: 221169, Time: 20:05:17

HP 196/196       AC 36     Str 11      XL: 27
MP  55/55        EV 23     Int 53      God: Vehumet [*****.]
Gold 16683       SH 26     Dex 14      Spells: 14 memorised,  0 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + +   See Invis. : +   g - staff of channeling
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   N - +2 scale mail of Zeojag {Str+4 Dex+3 Int+3
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .   e - +5 buckler of the Midnight Sun {Str+3 Int+4)
Res.Poison: +       Res.Corr.  : .   s - -1 helmet "Zyodu Tymu" {+Rage Int+2 SInv}
Res.Elec. : +       Clarity    : +   U - +0 cloak "Honi" {+Blink rF+ Str+2}
Sust.Abil.: + +     Spirit.Shd : .   B - +1 pair of gloves of Grace {+Lev rElec rF+
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   I - +2 pair of boots {run}
Res.Rott. : +       Ctrl.Telep.: x   p - amulet of the Four Winds {Clar rN+ MR}
Saprovore : . . .   Levitation : +   G - ring of Psiq {SustAb Str-5 Int+3}
                    Ctrl.Flight: +   b - ring "Phagaaw" {SustAb Dex+2 Int+4}

@: lich-form, deflect missiles, flying, quick, almost entirely resistant to
hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: claws 1, fire resistance 1, +20% mp, magic resistance 1, AC +4, Dex -1
a: End Transformation, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink, Evoke Berserk Rage
}: 15/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer

Inventory:

Hand weapons

D - the -2 blowgun "Grim Tooth" {speed, rF+ rC+ Dex+3}

Armour
e - the +5 buckler of the Midnight Sun (worn) {Str+3 Int+4}
s - the -1 helmet "Zyodu Tymu" (worn) {+Rage Int+2 SInv}
w - the +2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rF+ rC+ MR}
B - the +1 pair of gloves of Grace (worn) {+Lev rElec rF+ rN+ MR Dex-3}
I - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
N - the +2 scale mail of Zeojag (worn) {Str+4 Dex+3 Int+3}
U - the +0 cloak "Honi" (worn) {+Blink rF+ Str+2}

Magical devices
 j - a wand of teleportation (9)
 n - a wand of heal wounds (9)

Scrolls
 f - 7 scrolls of identify
 k - 3 scrolls of teleportation
 l - 2 scrolls of enchant armour
 v - 3 scrolls of amnesia
 z - 6 scrolls of remove curse
 E - a scroll of unholy creation
 H - 2 scrolls of recharging
 L - 4 scrolls of blinking
Jewellery
a - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
b - the ring "Phagaaw" (left hand) {SustAb Dex+2 Int+4}
c - the cursed ring "Plog" {+/*TELE +Inv rF+ Int+3 SInv Stlth++}
m - the ring of Gra Gin {Regen Str+2}
o - an uncursed amulet of stasis
p - the amulet of the Four Winds (around neck) {Clar rN+ MR}
t - the ring "Cielu" {MR SInv}
u - the amulet "Kint" {+Rage Dex+2 Int+4}
C - a +6,+4 ring of slaying
F - the ring "Beeresha" {cTele Stlth++}
G - the ring of Psiq (right hand) {SustAb Str-5 Int+3}

Magical staves
 g - an uncursed staff of channeling (weapon)
Orbs of Power
 K - the Orb of Zot
Miscellaneous
 M - a crystal ball of energy
Rods
 r - a +9 rod of destruction [fire] (14/14)
   (You took it off a red devil on level 7 of the Iron City of Dis)

Skills:
 O Level 27 Fighting
 + Level 8.5 Short Blades
 O Level 27 Armour
 O Level 27 Dodging
 - Level 7.1 Stealth
 - Level 24.1 Shields
 O Level 27 Traps & Doors
 O Level 27 Spellcasting
 O Level 27 Conjurations
 - Level 14.1 Charms
 - Level 14.0 Summonings
 O Level 27 Necromancy
 - Level 11.1 Translocations
 - Level 11.0 Transmutations
 O Level 27 Fire Magic
 O Level 27 Ice Magic
 - Level 13.0 Air Magic
 O Level 27 Earth Magic
   Level 1.0 Poison Magic
 O Level 27 Evocations

You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #########.   1%          6    N/A
b - Haunt                 Necr/Summ      ##########   1%          7    N/A
c - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          0%          2    N/A
d - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      ##########   1%          8    N/A
e - Haste                 Chrm           #########    1%          6    N/A
f - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      ##########   1%          9    N/A
g - Ice Storm             Conj/Ice       ##########   1%          9    N/A
h - Apportation           Tloc           #########.   0%          1    N/A
i - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #########    0%          1    N/A
p - Death's Door          Chrm/Necr      ##########   1%          8    N/A
q - Flight                Chrm/Air       #########.   0%          3    N/A
t - Lee's Rapid Deconstr  Erth           ##########   0%          5    N/A
v - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          1%          7    N/A
z - Lehudib's Crystal Sp  Conj/Erth      ##########   1%          8    N/A

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You have sharp fingernails.*
You are partially covered in iridescent scales (AC +4).*
You are clumsy (Dex -1).
Your flesh is heat resistant.*
You have a considerably increased reservoir of magic (+20% MP).
You are resistant to hostile enchantments.

Vanquished Creatures
  Antaeus (Coc:7)
  Asmodeus (Geh:7)
  Cerebov (Pan)
  Gloorx Vloq (Pan)
  Mnoleg (Pan)
  the royal jelly (Slime:6)
  Ereshkigal (Tar:7)
  Dispater (Dis:7)
  Lom Lobon (Pan)
  24 ancient liches
  Khufu (Crypt:2)
  4 orbs of fire (Zot:5)
  40 greater mummies
  A seraph (Pan)
  44 pandemonium lords
Grand Total: 18015 creatures vanquished

A - a +9,+9 orcish dagger of electrocution (quivered) :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 15:12

alright sorry, 15/15 defenses and 120 HP in hells or pan or whatever else you do before you have 27 fire, 27 ice and 27 traps&doors and tragically have to move on to dodging

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 15:15

Apr 20, 2013
Hmm. I thought it's been ages. Things change... I'm glad that I don't have to think: "Oh man, it's been five years and I'm still playing"

cerebovssquire wrote:alright sorry, 15/15 defenses and 120 HP in hells or pan or whatever else you do before you have 27 fire, 27 ice and 27 traps&doors and tragically have to move on to dodging

I just meant that I trained defence skills naturally, having nothing I would want to specifically focus on. "Ok, my magic is maxed, I'm moving to fighting, since it increases my HP, which should be good, I guess".

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th February 2014, 15:40

This is really off-topic but yeah, I remember one of my first characters (DEFE of Veh?) had a chaos quick blade and it was hilariously good when I was grinding Pan (ugh). Short sword of chaos mummies start with is somewhat less good though, and you can't really Firestorm dudes who got hasted instead of paralysed as a low-level MuCK.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice