Strategy- Spell book burning

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 18:22

Strategy- Spell book burning

- Spell book burning for Trog gives some nice immediate piety bonuses, but have any of you tried using spell books as a means to trap, escape or incinerate creatures? I can think of quite a few times when I find myself running away for my life, but dropping a book or two in a tight hallway might allow for some offense escaping means. I don't see many orcs, ogres, or many other lower level creatures that can dive through a wall of flame and give much chase.

Any thoughts, personal experience?

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 19:14

Re: Strategy- Spell book burning

Usually I just burn them, but once there was a conveniently placed one right in front of a OOD ice bear - I just waited until he stepped on it and let fly. Very much fun, very much piety. :)

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 19:16

I Piety' the foo!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 19:18

I've done so for fun, but never as a serious strategy. Usually I drop 'em in Lair and watch random animals burn, or sometimes I'd use them to clog up a bunch of Ugly Things.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 19:41

Yeah, I'll use spellbooks as a land mine for the first few levels of the game to snag something stupid/OOD, but it's not very useful later on. Def. worth holding onto them for a little while though. Better to be prepared and you can always burn them for piety later. Just don't find yourself sitting on a pile of 20 spellbooks you'll never use.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 19:44

I'll carry them around for a long while as an escape mechanism against intelligent monsters. Light one up in a corridor and book it in the other direction while it blocks their path. :mrgreen:
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 20:17

20 could light a whole hallway one fire... Hehehehehe.

Ok so holding onto it for a little while as a little fire mine seems to be a good consensus. Maybe not hydra slaying material, but has low level roasting potential.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 01:10

I've toyed with this before, and I think it was Duvessa (not sure) that I blocked and then ranged attacked. It was amusing, but not something I was in a rush to do all the time. What Trog follower can be bothered hefting all those heavy stupid books around? My question is whether it does the same damage as conjure flame.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 02:31

1. Trog tell me to carry all evil books.
2. Trog tell me to drop evil books when evil books heavy.
3. Trog tell me to bring all evil books to Vault 7.
4. Trog tell me to surround down staircase with evil books.
5. Trog tell me to go down, get nine enemies.
6. Trog tell me to go up.
7. Trog tell me to Burn evil books. Burn! BURN!!!
8. Trog tell me to Kill them all.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 04:08

For some reason this is not a popular strategy, but it is very effective at making a difficult fight easier almost all game. The best thing to use book burning on is probably ice statues, but there's rarely a case when burning a book under something would not be worth it.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 13:20

I use book burning to help with oklobs if I can get a good approach in (like those cases where an oklob spawns along with the plants surrounding the Lair entrance). Remember that you can fling a book one space, and that unlike Conjure Flame, you can toss it at an occupied space.

Damage is comparable to Conjure Flame, but the duration is shorter (or comparable to low levels of power on that spell).
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 13:53

sigfried von murdock wrote:20 could light a whole hallway one fire... Hehehehehe.

Ok so holding onto it for a little while as a little fire mine seems to be a good consensus. Maybe not hydra slaying material, but has low level roasting potential.

In fact, they have pretty good hydra-killing potential. The stupid things will rush straight into flaming clouds, meaning you aren't limited to detonating it when they're standing on it... if you set up three in a corridor, that should be enough to take 'em out, if not directly then with a whack or two as they stand in the last one.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 15:27

I've had a specific book required for entry into a treasure trove. Sucks if that's one that got burned burned up.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 16:51

A berserker in reasonable armor shouldn't have any trouble with hydras.

I'd rather not burn the books, you might want them. You get more then enough piety anyways.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 20:44

I'd rather get Brothers in Arms online as soon as possible.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice