Preparation for my first rune!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 05:38

Preparation for my first rune!

Hello once again, my am I getting the hang of this game!
I have cleared the Lair (albeit a runed door I dare not venture in), Orcish Mines, Elven Halls 1-2, Swamp 1-4, Snake Pit 1-4.
Which rune would be the easiest for me to go for, and are there any particular potions/scrolls/permafood I should take? I've got quite a stash!

Here is my current setup for my Ogre Berserker;

Much appreciated, and thanks again for all the help :)

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 05:56

Re: Preparation for my first rune!

Hmm, does 8 total games played and one 4 rune win qualify me to start giving advice?

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 05:57

Of course it does, any advice is appreiciated. I'm plenty new myself =)

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:08

Well I would definitely not recommend Elf (Elf 3 has master archers, demonologists etc that can ruin your day without high AC/EV and MR I believe), so it's between Swamp and Snake. Do you have a source of rPois? I'm not sure how important it is for Swamp, but I know it's a big help in Snake. If you go for Snake, watch for Naga's constricting attacks (try to limit the number of Naga's you engage, they are slow so you can lure them away and into corridors and such I believe). Bring potions of cure poison of course either way.

Better players will be along shortly to give much better advice in any event ;)
Last edited by AzuredreamsXT on Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:11

no Rpois at all :oops: I butchered every swamp drake spamming mephitic cloud or something like that on me and no hides ;~;. Off to the swamps I go to face the 28 headed hydra :mrgreen:

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:13

lol best of luck, my games thus far have generated Spider and Shoals :p

Let us know how things go!

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:16

Also, in case you didn't know, you can get those 4 missing hit points back by drinking a healing potion or a few curing potions when at maximum health.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:17

spindart wrote:no Rpois at all :oops: I butchered every swamp drake spamming mephitic cloud or something like that on me and no hides
Well, that's probably because swamp drakes don't leave hides.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:19

spindart wrote:no Rpois at all :oops: I butchered every swamp drake spamming mephitic cloud or something like that on me and no hides ;~;. Off to the swamps I go to face the 28 headed hydra :mrgreen:

Swamp Drakes don't drop hides. Swamp Dragons do.

Without rPois, I'd go for Swamp rune first, assuming you've already cleared thr Dungeon. Some Swamp rune vaults don't require rPois as much. Whatever you do, don't engage the Lernaean Hydra in Melee.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:22

But I am a melee ogre berserker who can only smashy things. How else can I kill it :o

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 06:56

Got the snake pit rune and the swamp rune. Nearly died in the swamps from the hydra but remembered that berserking can be used as a last resort to run away! Also found rPois from a swamp hide and cleared the Snake pits with ease after. Looking good! Thanks all :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 07:34

(for the next time: you can spam brothers in arms and damaging wands at it, or, if it is in a good position, blink behind it with a scroll onto or close to the rune, then read teleport, then pick up the rune, then leave the level.)

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 08:43

Died in elven halls 3. Overwhelmed by the sheer number of creatures even with Brother in Arms spamming. Darn you hubris~!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 10:58

Just to rub some friendly salt in your wounds: There was no need for you to go to Elf:3 at all. Next time, go to Vaults instead.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 11:10

spindart wrote:But I am a melee ogre berserker who can only smashy things. How else can I kill it :o

Large rocks, er, rock :twisted:

spindart wrote:Died in elven halls 3. Overwhelmed by the sheer number of creatures even with Brother in Arms spamming. Darn you hubris~!

Did you go into the middle of the large chamber with all the dangerous elves? Yeah, you shouldn't. If you hang around the entrance they'll usually wander by one at a time or at most you get 2, then you can draw them away and kill them away from the chamber.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 20:03

If you're playing trunk, remember that killing a summoner instantly dispels its summons. So when that deep elf demonologist summons a couple fiends, killing the demonologist may be the smartest move. Especially as they're tormenting the elf, too.

But seriously: I almost always clear Elf. I almost always have a close call or two. They're nothing to sneeze at.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice