Regen + metabolism

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 17:24

Regen + metabolism

1stly Regen items state that they increases your metabolism "while doing so." This means your metabolism only goes up while your health is actually increasing right?

Apparent no brainers aside, should I take off a ring of regen while resting or does the metabolic increase just balance out the better healing rate?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 18:01

Re: Regen + metabolism

This means your metabolism only goes up while your health is actually increasing right?

yes

Apparent no brainers aside, should I take off a ring of regen while resting or does the metabolic increase just balance out the better healing rate?

you should specifically put it on to rest, because the turns you save by resting less are dramatically more important than any nutrition concerns (and you don't wear it at other times because regen ring actually does very little for you in combat compared to other options)

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 20:02

crate wrote:you should specifically put it on to rest, because the turns you save by resting less are dramatically more important than any nutrition concerns (and you don't wear it at other times because regen ring actually does very little for you in combat compared to other options)

Really, I didn't think wasting turns (on that scale, in a safe area etc) was a big deal - what am I missing?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 20:18

The main concern is being caught at low HP by monsters (this happens a lot), if you retreat far away from unexplored areas it will reduce, but not completely solve, this problem. Otherwise, turncount affects score and =regeneration reduces turncount, but that has nothing to do with survival.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
crate, Senban

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 20:23

Also most gods* have "piety decay" which means your piety goes down over time. You counter this by doing things that gain piety. Resting does not gain piety.

(*The exceptions are Cheibriados and Fedhas)

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 3
crate, One-Eyed Jack, Senban

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 20:40

also increasing your hunger rate literally never matters unless you are both a spriggan and are doing very weird things

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Senban

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 21:03

My mentality is definately survival far and away above score, and I've never been seriously bitten in the ass by piety decay either, although I guess that's slightly veiled and you never know exactly how much you have. Maybe I'm hoarding bread too much...
Thanks guy's.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice