Orbs of fire

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 25th December 2010, 18:46

Re: Orbs of fire

Yeah, I lost a promising MfCr to one of those yesterday. Was about to get my first win. :/

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th December 2010, 18:59

I killed them with Firestorm.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 25th December 2010, 21:43

minmay wrote:How can you successfully fight these things?

In 0.5, I used Tukima's Dance. Now, I use overwhelming force. Storm spells, Statue/Dragon form, SHT, etc.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 06:36

OOF are pretty much the decisive monster in Zot - if you can avoid or kill them, you typically win. If your character isn't well set up for either of these, you pretty much are stuck with teleroulette as a victory option.

Tips:
Everyone:
- Try to fight the OOF 1v1. Easier said than done, I know. Use the choke points entering one of the lungs or the initial entry choke point. Having a bunch of draconians and orb guardians swarm you when you're trying to finish off an OoF is often a 'teleport or die' situation.
- One level of rF isn't enough unless you hit really hard. Potions of resistance can give you that extra level. If you gear swap rElec out to get extra rF, have a plan to escape/get rElec if an electric golem shows up during the fight.

Melee Types:
- Save potions of might/haste for Zot 5. Carrying them around in Zot is asking for white dracs/ice dragons to destroy them (of course, you can meet OOF on Zot 1, so there's no easy choice). Only the toughest characters should take OOF on without haste (it used to be worse before haste nerf when orbs had 20 speed - now if you fight them without haste it's 15spd vs 10spd). Berserk works well, as you now have a speed advantage on the OoF, but if it wears off in a bad spot, you're probably dead. It's amazing how much a simple potion of might helps.
- Make sure you have the nastiest weapon you can use, vorpal branded if possible (nothing else works). For example, if you're playing a MfCr and you have a great demon trident of freexing/shield combo, you may want to switch to a bardiche of chopping on Zot: 5 to crack their high AC. Even the best one handed weapons (katana, double sword, blessed scourge, trishula/demon trident) are not great against an OoF (unless you have slaying).
- Short blades are hopeless without might/slaying. If for some reason you are using a short blade and can cast (ie no Trog) be sure to cast Sure Blade (really!) as the accuracy bonus is extremely helpful against their 20 EV.

The problem with melee characters is that it seems like you either have a beastly character with an executioner's axe that can 3 shot the OoF OR a character with a strong one-hander and shield who will have a difficult time in any situation other than simple 1v1 with the OOF.

Transmuters:
- Dragon Form kills OoF dead (I've two shotted them before) with the ridiculous base damage and rF++. Just watch out for the rest of the Zot denizens with your weak AC/EV when transformed.
- Statue Form's base damage makes it viable (just make sure you don't lose resists when melded!), and blade hands also has enough power.

Conjurers:
- Iron Shot/LCS WILL work (I've even used IMB and Throw Icicle before); you just need a plan B to recharge mana or escape if you get a bunch of unlucky hit rolls (potion of magic/Sif channeling/staff of channeling/ball of energy (risky). If you're a reaver type, a two-handed melee backup is advised.
- Storms work, but have the bad effect of waking up the whole level, so have an escape route handy if you run out of MP.

Ranged Combat:
- Heavily enchanted launcher of velocity and ammo (also preferably steel) works (even a sling!) but you really need both launcher and ammo close to maxed out. Steel crossbow bolts seem to work the best.

Summoners:
- IMO summons actually work well IF you can get the orb surrounded before it gets to you (easier said than done with the speed). It's also usually easier to escape if the fight is going poorly, too. Haunt, SHT, Malign Gateway all can work. Demonic Horde is actually surprisingly effective as an initial shield/distractor because red imps are immune to fire. Tukima's Dance works if you can get the orb distracted as the dancing weapons are fire immune as well.

Gods:
Oka - Haste and Might.
Yred - Pain Mirror! Works really well, actually, but the piety loss is extreme, so you can't take out 5 OoF with it or anything.
Nemelex - greater deck of summoning spam, stacked decks of escape if the fight goes poorly
Chei - slouch works if you don't run out of piety
Lugonu - quick distortion weapon has high chance of abyssing OoF or at least teleporting it away (blinking it, however, is BAD)
Trog - don't bother with BiA unless you have max piety, berserk is great if you know you'll be safe afterwards
Makhleb - greater servant helps - balrugs are fire immune and Blue Death shadow creatures in Zot is totally broken and will get you a huge army of dragons and draconians. Spam it early in case you need an escape or get a worthless Cacodemon.

For this message the author RangerC has received thanks: 6
christhawk, danr, gb, Gravenous, mageykun, tormodpwns

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 07:39

RangerC wrote:Tukima's Dance works if you can get the orb distracted as the dancing weapons are fire immune as well.

Dancing weapons are not immune to fire. Orbs of fire can damage them.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 08:07

lucy_ferre wrote:
RangerC wrote:Tukima's Dance works if you can get the orb distracted as the dancing weapons are fire immune as well.

Yeah, looks like they changed that since .5 (they only have fire++ and cold++ now). I wonder if that change was made specifically for OoF or other reasons?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th December 2010, 12:46

RangerC wrote:
lucy_ferre wrote:

Yeah, looks like they changed that since .5 (they only have fire++ and cold++ now). I wonder if that change was made specifically for OoF or other reasons?

Actually they always had rF++ and rC++. Their description showing them as having rF+++ and rC+++ was due to a bug which I fixed.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice