Stash advice?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 18:43

Stash advice?

Hi guys,

So a while ago (maybe in 0.6) I think I read on the wiki that the best place for a stash is Lair:2 due to no humanoids spawning to take your stuff. (Yes yes, don't trust the wiki.)
However, another while ago (maybe a year ago), someone was observing my game and saw me go to my L:2 stash and was like "HOLY MEGASTASH" cause I had literally all my stuff there.

Since then I've been working on leaving better stashes around the place, but I still am wary of leaving certain types of items lying around...
What items do I actually need to worry about?
What happens if a jelly happens to spawn and walk over my stash?

Right now, I typically am willing to drop the following item types anywhere:
- scrolls
- permafood
- evokables

I'm unclear on whether it is safe to leave jewelry lying around; I've had times where I kill a monster and it left a ring along with its weapon & corpse. (It wasn't standing on a ring, the ring wasn't around til I killed the thing.)

I'm concerned with leaving:
- potions (esp valuable ones like cure mutation; isn't there a chance some humanoid will come along and steal it?)
- weapons
- armour
- wands
- and maybe jewelry

What do most people do?

Wizlab Walloper

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 18:56

Re: Stash advice?

A lot of people worry about keeping all their stuff in the same place, but frankly it's not much of a concern. I've been playing for years and never had a problem with putting my stash in Lair, though they're usually a bit better protected than most because I make it a point to fill the level with as many zombies as possible. If you're clever, there're often ways to trap or otherwise guard your stuff, through either god abilities or spells like Animate Dead.

If you want to be REALLY safe, though, either space everything out like you already are (generally in corners; the AI usually doesn't walk monsters close to them and monsters only see/pick up items if they're standing on them) or put it in the Temple.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 18:58

morik wrote:What items do I actually need to worry about?
Jellies can eat all items other than runes, the Orb, stones, large rocks, and artefacts. Other monsters can pick up (and use many of) weapons, missiles, armour, wands, jewellery, scrolls, potions, rods, staves, gold, and miscellaneous items. Some non-jelly monsters (harpy, hungry ghost...) will destroy food on the ground.

morik wrote:What happens if a jelly happens to spawn and walk over my stash?
It will eat some or all of it.

morik wrote:I'm unclear on whether it is safe to leave jewelry lying around; I've had times where I kill a monster and it left a ring along with its weapon & corpse. (It wasn't standing on a ring, the ring wasn't around til I killed the thing.)
Monsters pick up and wear jewellery. For some reason.

morik wrote:What do most people do?
Most people either leave items on the ground, put them on Lair:1 (can generate jellies and item-using monsters but it's rare), or put them on Lair:2 or Temple (cannot generate jellies or item-using monsters).

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 18:59

The most important thing to know is that no monsters will actually seek out items to pick up or devour, and no monsters will do anything to your stuff while you are on different floors (exception to these rules: worshipping Jiyva). So, in order for your stuff to be in danger, the following conditions must be true:
* A monster must happen to path over that tile by pure chance or in the process of pathing directly towards you.
* That monster must be a jelly, brown ooze, acid blob, or humanoid.
* If the monster if a humanoid, the item must be a potion of (heal wounds | curing | might | berserk rage | speed), or a ring, wand, weapon, shield, or piece of body armour, and the monster must not have seen you drop the item. If the item is a weapon, the weapon's base type must be less good than the weapon the monster is wielding, and the weapon the monster is wielding must not be cursed.

Generally speaking, for most out-of-the-way tiles, the odds of all those things coming true in reference to an item stored on an out-of-the-way tile on any dungeon level during the amount of time you spend on that dungeon level is very, very small, probably less than one in one hundred. As a result, you are generally safe leaving most items you don't want to carry on the same dungeon floor on which you found them, perhaps after moving them to an out-of-the-way tile like a corner or dead end to ensure they aren't in a common monster path.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:07

It takes approximately 2 seconds to type "Gl2Enter" and autotravel there, so there's no reason not to stash items there. It's a lot more convenient than leaving stuff all over the place and then having to search for specific items and travel to each one. Then you have to spend another 2 seconds to travel to where you were oh no. Set travel delay to instant obviously, it should be instant even if you don't stash. Tip: '$' indicates the lowest level you've reached, so you can do "G d $ enter" for example.

The reason why that person said that is probably because you sorted your items into separate piles. There's no reason to do that because the pick up menu already sorts items for you. Making separate piles is a tremendous waste of time in many ways. Drop everything on the up staircase.

The items that I leave right where I find them are strategic scrolls and potions like enchant weapon, enchant armor, recharging, potions of cure mut. It's not safe to leave items that monsters will pick up, so don't leave jewellery, weapons, armor, wands and certain potions. Some players are fine with leaving these things on the floor but given that it's so fast to stash them I don't see a reason personally. I think monsters sometimes pick up scrolls like blinking and teleport but I've never seen one use a scroll so it's strange. I don't leave those on the floor anyway.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:10

I'm pretty sure I see monsters carrying around decks and misc evocables, though I'm pretty sure they don't use them.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:10

I just drop stuff I don't immediately need (heavy rations especially) at Lair 2, Vaults entrance, and Zot entrance. They're like restroom pit stops. :D

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:17

Wahaha wrote:It takes approximately 2 seconds to type "Gl2Enter" and autotravel there, so there's no reason not to stash items there. It's a lot more convenient than leaving stuff all over the place and then having to search for specific items and travel to each one. Then you have to spend another 2 seconds to travel to where you were oh no. Set travel delay to instant obviously, it should be instant even if you don't stash. Tip: '$' indicates the lowest level you've reached, so you can do "G d $ enter" for example.

This is fast for the player, but not for the character. You lose nutrition and (more importantly) piety during this extra travel, and you risk running into a monster that will destroy the scroll of Enchant Weapon III you were hauling back to your stash.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:18

Wahaha wrote:It takes approximately 2 seconds to type "Gl2Enter" and autotravel there
You can also stand on your stash and press ctrl+w then 1 to set a waypoint, and type G1 to go there.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
caleb

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:22

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious: drop stuff in a corner, use Ctrl-F to find.

I've never had a jelly eat a floor stash item, or if I have, it wasn't game critical.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 19:52

HenryFlower wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious: drop stuff in a corner, use Ctrl-F to find.

I've never had a jelly eat a floor stash item, or if I have, it wasn't game critical.

I still Lair stash, but I should really switch to on-the-go corner stashing instead.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 20:05

HenryFlower wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the obvious: drop stuff in a corner, use Ctrl-F to find.

Well, I mentioned it, but I took longer to say it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th January 2014, 00:39

Lasty wrote:

Well, I mentioned it, but I took longer to say it.

Throw it into a corner from where you're standing; uses less time.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th January 2014, 17:40

XuaXua wrote:*Throw it into a corner from where you're standing; uses less time.
(*Note: don't do this if you like using autoexplore)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 01:01

Throw it into a corner, then set a 1 tile exclusion over it, and poof, you won't autoexplore to pick it up ;)

Maybe thrown non-ammo things could not be set to be auto-picked up? But still pick up throwing weapons, needles, etc; just don't pick up thrown books, potions?

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 02:12

autoexplore will still pick things from a 1 tile exclusion if there is no apparent danger and it wants the item.

Also I don't understand dropping things in a corner, it has the disadvantages of taking things to L2 (taking irl time) with the added disadvantages of having crap laying around all over the dungeon.
Personally I just drop things I'm not using but still I picked up while exploring on the staircase down to the new level I'm entering.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice