Just want to say a HUGE thank you to wiki contributors

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 19:36

Just want to say a HUGE thank you to wiki contributors

Seriously, you guys just rock. The wiki for this game is massive, detailed, looks great and so very helpful. Cheers :)

For this message the author AzuredreamsXT has received thanks:
Klown

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 19:59

Re: Just want to say a HUGE thank you to wiki contributors

AzuredreamsXT wrote:Seriously, you guys just rock. The wiki for this game is massive, detailed, looks great and so very helpful. Cheers :)

Most people on the tavern dislike the wiki, as it is edited by many-a-foolish young crawler. A lot of the information on there is either out of date or false. Hopefully one day it will be completely reliable.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:01

AzuredreamsXT wrote:Seriously, you guys just rock. The wiki for this game is massive, detailed, looks great and so very helpful. Cheers :)

While reading the title, I hoped it to be ironical...

Of course there is a lot of information, but the forum is really more accurate
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:05

Specific/more complex questions are better answered on the forum. Basic stuff like checking a Deep Dwarf's earth apt is a bit easier with the wiki.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:10

mopl wrote:

While reading the title, I hoped it to be ironical...

Of course there is a lot of information, but the forum is really more accurate

I disagree

The forum may have more accurate information, somewhere, but it's mixed right in with all the inaccurate nonsense and bad advice.
At least the wiki generally tells you if it's outdated info. And the wiki can be changed to remove the bad info, and make it good info. The forum can't really be changed to prevent inaccurate posting.

The wiki was pretty useful for learning the game, but I will say the character guides are pretty much worthless

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:15

For specific infos I use the wiki, like weapon speed...

But mainly Knowledge Bot + advised reading of the forum are enough
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks: 2
Klown, savageorange

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:18

Knowledge bot?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 20:19

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 21:18

Honestly the Tavern and CrawlWiki are both extremely unreliable and overall pretty bad sources for pretty much anything having to do with Crawl. Unlike many other games (such as NetHack), DCSS does not have any remotely well-maintained resources for learning about the game, and if you want a sure answer to a question you pretty much have to either ask one of a very small group of people (who may simply refuse to answer your question) or find it yourself by reading the source code.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
archaeo, mikee

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 21:25

On the plus side, Crawl's oral tradition puts you in contact with a wide cast of fascinating Internet people!

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 22:07

I appreciate and use the wiki but it has a lot of sketchy information. Use it but maintain a level of skepticism, more or less the same as you use any user generated content like Wikipedia.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 23:12

Yea I mean I'm a total newb to crawl, but I feel like people are being a bit hard on the wiki. People are clearly putting a good deal of effort into it (they should be thanked for this), and I'm getting the sense that it's far from perfect, but that effort is definitely appreciated and so far for me, it has helped much more than it has hindered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 23:19

Well the big problem is, even if you ignore all the advice (which is sketchy at best, in general, and in particular it focuses on the wrong things (strategy instead of tactics) but this is a common failing) then the factual information is still something that you cannot tell if it is correct or not. Probably it is correct more often than not (I don't go there).

The learndb is pretty good for the current stable version if you check entries that are actually used by other people, though it also has problems with old entries sometimes (for instance I just this week updated ??deck of dungeons to reflect the fact two of its cards have been removed, despite that happening like 2 versions ago).

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 14:47

Can people post some examples of incorrect factual information. From what I have seen so far it has all been stuff that a new player would not deal with starting out.

I do appreciate it. And think it helps much more than hinders.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 14:54

These aren't too severe, but I just noticed that recently:

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Nemelex
  Code:
Deal Four: Select a non-stacked deck in your inventory and draw four cards from it in a single turn. If the deck has insufficient cards, you draw the missing cards from a deck of punishment. If any cards remain, the deck is destroyed. (Costs 8 MP, 200-400 Food, and 10-15 Piety)

The Curse: Curse several items in your inventory (including potions, which turn into potions of decay).
The Tomb: Each unoccupied tile around you is replaced by a rock wall. You'll probably need a way to dig or teleport to get out.
Damnation: A monster in your LOS is banished to the Abyss. If there's no monster, you are banished instead.

You only get one card from Punishment if there's less than 4, not "missing ones".
Potions don't turn into decay.
Tomb walls disappear after something like 100 turns, so you don't need any digging.
You can be banished by Damnation even with monsters in sight.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 16:19

stickyfingers wrote:You can be banished by Damnation even with monsters in sight.

Yeah, I learned this one the hard way.
kekekela is my in-game name

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 18:25

battaile wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:You can be banished by Damnation even with monsters in sight.

Yeah, I learned this one the hard way.

Me too lol. Damnit wiki.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 20:24

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7575&p=102656#p102656

For me, the wiki as an entity is the single greatest barrier for helping new players understand the game.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 21:34

That's unfair. The wiki may be lacking on some finer details, but it's got a hell of a lot more info than you get in game. And just taking every little question to this forum wouldn't work.

Want to see what that god will do for you? The wiki's a good place to check.
Want to see a table of weapons? The wiki's good for that, although those details may change from release to trunk.
Want to know a good strategy to get your specific character 15 runes? Do not go to the wiki. Go here, and hope you pick the correct advice from the pile of conflicting advice you receive. But that's forums for you.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 10th January 2014, 21:47

People like you are probably the second greatest barrier because your primary interest is always in winning some argument rather than helping people, and the advice you give is almost always wrong in some way because you take zero time to actually think about or test it. So I end up having to compete with really weird preconceptions that someone got or a bunch of rabid noise over nothing.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 3
dck, duvessa, savageorange

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 11th January 2014, 02:28

I want to believe wrote:

Most people on the tavern dislike the wiki, as it is edited by many-a-foolish young crawler. A lot of the information on there is either out of date or false. Hopefully one day it will be completely reliable.

This is actually wrong, most of it is up to date and is likely edited by code divers.

The fact that people hate the wiki seems silly to me. You can obviously get better advice in the tavern, but that's a given.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
AzuredreamsXT

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 04:59

"likely"?

For this message the author Brannock has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 06:56

Tiktacy wrote:This is actually wrong, most of it is up to date and is likely edited by code divers.

The fact that people hate the wiki seems silly to me. You can obviously get better advice in the tavern, but that's a given.

Brannock wrote:"likely"?

Also: can

Small words that make a big difference.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 07:11

"there's this place with crawl advice, obviously you get better advice from the tavern but why do you hate it?"

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 3
battaile, duvessa, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th January 2014, 09:25

dck wrote:"there's this place with crawl advice, obviously you get better advice from the tavern but why do you hate it?"

No no, don't worry, there's a NON-ZERO chance that that first place has advice from people who have looked at the code!
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
dck

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 13th January 2014, 03:24

The problem of the wiki is not that it's wrong all the time.

It's that it's right enough of the time while being significantly wrong the rest of the time. That makes it untrustworthy.

(also, that when it is substantially wrong, it is often wrong in a way that a newbie will never notice.)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice