Testing the Summon Demon spell in wizard mode

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 3rd January 2014, 23:04

Testing the Summon Demon spell in wizard mode

Hello.

So I've been trying to run a summoner of Sif... blah blah blah... my demon killed me. I could not abjure him. I decided to research it in the wizard mode. The idea is to find out when does the combo "summon demon + abjuration" becomes reliable. Unfortunately, in wiz mode spell power is shown in number instead of #.

Is there a way to change this behavior?
Is there a better metric? Skill level seems relevant but less accurate as spell power includes other parameters like staff of summoning.
Is there a better method to research?

Version 0.14.
That's a silly name!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd January 2014, 23:10

Re: Testing the summon demon spell in wizard mode

So the big thing is you're probably confused about how abjuration works.

Abjuration never fails to affect a summon. What it does is it reduces the duration of the targeted summon by some (randomized) number of turns. So in addition to never eliminating a high-duration summon in one turn, there is a number of casts that will quite reliably get rid of the summon. (Compare to mr-resistible hexes, which have a much higher variance because of how they work.)

Summon demon has a very large summon duration, so abjuration will not eliminate them in one turn (and in fact as you get more spellpower the duration gets higher, I believe, so this probably cancels the gains to abjuration power). Abjuration is not really a good method for dealing with hostiles from summon demon; instead you'd be much better served by e.g. summoning some distractions and then walking away.
Last edited by crate on Saturday, 4th January 2014, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
moocowmoocow, Slap and stab

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 4th January 2014, 00:01

Re: Testing the Summon Demon spell in wizard mode

Hmm, I did not know it. The description sounds like it tries to destroy the summon and, if it fails, shortens it's lifetime. Thanks for the clarification.

Still, I would like to know the answers to the my questions. I have some other spells in mind to test. To generalize, let you have a spell and you want to check it's effectiveness in different stages of the game. How would you do it in wiz mode?
That's a silly name!

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 4th January 2014, 03:01

Slap and stab wrote:Still, I would like to know the answers to the my questions. I have some other spells in mind to test. To generalize, let you have a spell and you want to check it's effectiveness in different stages of the game. How would you do it in wiz mode?

Set your skills to "reasonable" levels, cast the spells, and see what they do.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 4th January 2014, 08:31

yea, but what about other stats difference? If during the test skill did well starting with 16 skill level, is it reliable on lvl 13 with a ring of something, staff of something, a +6 int ring and following Sif instead of Vehumet?
That's a silly name!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th January 2014, 17:31

You can set your character level, character stats, any skill level, and create items and altars in wizmode. Type &? to see a menu of wizmode commands and customize your character as you see fit.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 4th January 2014, 20:48

I think he just wants to know how many bars represents what spell power number.

From the bots:
Got bars (#)? You have at least 0, 10, 15, 25, 35, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200. In 0.12-, add 5 to the list but remove 200 at the end.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Slap and stab

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 4th January 2014, 20:57

Hm, ok. Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks.
That's a silly name!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice