Butchering

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 19th March 2011, 18:43

Butchering

I notice that whenever I butcher something my exp pool will go down by 1. What is it training? Is there a butchering skill I don't know about?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th March 2011, 18:46

Re: Butchering

Well, it'd have to be one of the passive training skills, like armor, traps and doors, or stealth. No butchering skill (thank Gods).

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 19th March 2011, 19:46

While we on a subject of butchering.
Is there going to be new system of butchering without need of finding a knife or other sharp weapon?
Saw it somewhere on the mantis some time ago

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th March 2011, 22:12

Yes, we'll probably give the player a default knife when we fix butchery.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 13:36

galehar wrote:Yes, we'll probably give the player a default knife when we fix butchery.

Is it will be usable with cursed weapon in hand?
If no, wielded sharp weapon can be used for butchering?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 13:39

Curio wrote:
galehar wrote:Yes, we'll probably give the player a default knife when we fix butchery.

Is it will be usable with cursed weapon in hand?

No.

Curio wrote:If no, wielded sharp weapon can be used for butchering?

Yes.

Basically, it removes the hunt for uncursed edge weapon in the early game, and avoid non edge weapon users to have to carry a knife around. All other things unchanged.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 17:26

galehar wrote:Basically, it removes the hunt for uncursed edge weapon in the early game, and avoid non edge weapon users to have to carry a knife around. All other things unchanged.

AND removing message spam I hope?
Today I was playing with flail of protection and after every butchering appeared --more-- because, y'know, you feel protected! :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 17:40

galehar wrote:Basically, it removes the hunt for uncursed edge weapon in the early game, and avoid non edge weapon users to have to carry a knife around. All other things unchanged.

Perhaps butchery should be generalized to fail if the player has any cursed weapon wielded, with the exception of a couple of the smallest (dagger, hand axe) that have that as a specific weapon ability? It doesn't actually make much sense that you can butcher with a halberd or a katana. Large weapons are far too unwieldy to be reasonably used for that purpose. It would make weapon curses actually meaningful against almost all users, rather than just against mace, staff, and demon trident users.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 17:49

KoboldLord wrote:

Perhaps butchery should be generalized to fail if the player has any cursed weapon wielded, with the exception of a couple of the smallest (dagger, hand axe) that have that as a specific weapon ability? It doesn't actually make much sense that you can butcher with a halberd or a katana. Large weapons are far too unwieldy to be reasonably used for that purpose. It would make weapon curses actually meaningful against almost all users, rather than just against mace, staff, and demon trident users.

I concur. Basically of all weapons only daggers and hand axes are suitable enough for butchering. Sabres and shortswords already a bit inconvenient for this - they are tools of killing, not kitchen implement ;)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 18:44

I always assumed that, when you get chunks of meat, they are just that. A chunk. They aren't pretty burgers, steaks, or strips of bacon, but just some hunk of raw flesh you hacked off the opponent. Heck, maybe you just hacked off a limb and munched of that?
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 19:50

Yeah, what Phoenix said. I know they look like neat little roasts in tiles, but it never really struck me as an accurate representation of a 'chunk'.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 20:04

TwilightPhoenix wrote:I always assumed that, when you get chunks of meat, they are just that. A chunk. They aren't pretty burgers, steaks, or strips of bacon, but just some hunk of raw flesh you hacked off the opponent. Heck, maybe you just hacked off a limb and munched of that?

For me it's another way around. Limbs? Yes, maybe you could chop it off clean enough to consume later.
But what about internal organs? It's not very convenient to cut off edible parts from a torso of a dead body with something long like sabre, when there is heart, lungs and guts in the way.
In this case, more precise tool needed like knife.

I hope this sounded not very creepy :twisted:

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 20th March 2011, 22:04

Curio wrote:I hope this sounded not very creepy :twisted:

I imagine it would only be creepy to people who who have never actually butchered anything. But your post does make sense. You need the right tool for the right job, and trying to remove organs from something, or it's skin with a big clunky blade just sounds like way too much trouble to me.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice