Will aquirement gift manuals?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 03:02

Will aquirement gift manuals?

Right now I'm hard up for one manual of fighting. Not for the usual, hp related reasons, but because an incredibly cruel trove decided it would really like to eat one.

So is it possible to get one via a scroll of acquirement? If they are, do I ask for a book, or do they count as misc or something else? Does acquirement weight towards trove bounties if you have one? (man, that would be convenient).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 03:10

Re: Will aquirement gift manuals?

Book acquirement can give you a manual sometimes. I ironically got a Manual of Earth Magic when I was trying to just get any old spellbook so I could finally start casting stuff. Your odds of acquiring specifically a Manual of Fighting is probably pretty low, however.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 03:53

Book acquirements weigh in your skillset... if you have few or even no magic skills, chances are better.
The idea that acquirement could also take into account what your troves want is new. And good, in my opinion.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 10:43

I found a trove that took the short cut with that, and just asked for 2 scrolls of acquirement directly. I was really in doubt about that one, decided to chance it. It was a weapon trove, nothing good for me in there, but then again it was so late in the game that even two amulet/ring acquirements would probably not have helped me much. At least it wasn't that potion vault I got once :evil:
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 14:48

mageykun wrote:Right now I'm hard up for one manual of fighting. Not for the usual, hp related reasons, but because an incredibly cruel trove decided it would really like to eat one.

Did you use it three times at least before sacrificing it?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 15:20

Considering my current game wants a +4 ice dragon armor, I feel for you. At this point, I wish there were a way to pay gold to have the requirement changed, but which can only be done once.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 18:35

I sacrificed a ton of scrolls to build a +1/+2 up for a +6 Demon Blade to sacrifice to a trove for... armor. Got a +0 cloak of preservation out of it at least, which I bumped up to +2.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 21:39

mageykun: When a trove asks for a manual, it should be a shop item. Did you search for one? (Ctrl-F "manual") If you've already used it up, then the trove is not to blame at last :)

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 21:46

Tiber wrote:Considering my current game wants a +4 ice dragon armor, I feel for you.

Dragon armours are one of the easier things troves can ask for, you can always make them yourself eventually. It's worse when they want 8 potions of magic and such.

I do appreciate the new trove mechanics, the old made little sense (since you would virtually never be able to pay the gold fee). Still, I miss the smelly imp and the surrealism of fixing a broken magical lock with a specific item.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 22:14

dpeg wrote:Book acquirements weigh in your skillset... if you have few or even no magic skills, chances are better.
The idea that acquirement could also take into account what your troves want is new. And good, in my opinion.

Darn. I've got lots of magic skills- I'm never gonna see a manual for all the randart books. It's a pity acquirement doesn't take troves into account- but since you like the idea maybe I'll wiki that for you.

@Tiber, XuaXua. Things like ice dragon armor and enchanted demon blades are possible though. Just skin every ice dragon you meet, or hunt hell knights (Margery's band or abyss) and then get enchanting. It's like a quest- you'll complete it eventually. You're not completely at the mercy of the rng.

XuaXua wrote:Did you use it three times at least before sacrificing it?

Haven't found it yet. :p And as I understand it, manuals randomly have 3 to 17 uses, so I'd only have 2 guaranteed uses before I'd have to feed it to the trove.

dpeg wrote:mageykun: When a trove asks for a manual, it should be a shop item. Did you search for one? (Ctrl-F "manual") If you've already used it up, then the trove is not to blame at last :)

Good idea, but it didn't work. Despite several bazars, I've yet to see one in a shop. Must be a trunk thing.

I forget- are un-ID-ed manuals distinguishable from un-ID-ed books? Do they show up as an "adjective" book, or an "adjective" manual?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 00:37

Ah, you are playing 0.7. Nothing can help you then :)
Manuals are distinguishable from books, yes. We changed that (used to be not possible) when Trog got book burning.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 19:07

Hah! Actually, dpeg, you were right! The manual I needed was generated in a shop! I noticed this on mantis, to fix troves asking for manuals of fighting when they really meant something else, I remembered what you said, and I decided to see if my manual of slings fit the lock. And I'm in! :D

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 19:13

AND????

Details, man, details!!!

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 19:28

Well, if you want them. I was more proud of outsmarting the bug than actually getting the loot.

First trove I've seen that didn't have a theme concentrated on a type of item- it was a little of everything. ID scrolls, cure mutations, useless evokables, ego armors, a deck, and a cruddy randart dagger and ring. Aside from the utility items, mostly Nemelex fodder. Best prize was this:

o - the +5,+1 quick blade of Defiance {drain, *TELE MR}
(You found it in a treasure trove)
A truly terrible weapon, it drains the life of those it strikes.
It increases your resistance to enchantments.

Now I've got quick blades of stabbing, flame, frost, distortion, chaos, and draining. Just a few more until I complete the set! :lol:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 19:55

mageykun wrote:Now I've got quick blades of stabbing, flame, frost, distortion, chaos, and draining. Just a few more until I complete the set! :lol:

Is there such a thing as a quick blade of speed? Seems redundant.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 20:36

Nope, no quick blades of speed. The brand wouldn't have any effect. I'm short electrocution, holy wrath, pain, orc slaying, venom, protection and vampiric. ...dang, when you list them all out, I'm only halfway there. :/ Probably not gonna catch 'em all after all. But I am taking all I have with me when I go. :p

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice