Uses for potion of brilliance?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 00:55

Uses for potion of brilliance?

I'm not sure I've ever quaffed a potion of brilliance, even on conjurer types. I just don't come across situations in which it would be useful.

Is it just used to temporarily cast spells that are slightly out of reach? I could also see it seeing being used to counteract int draining when restore abilities isn't available. Any creative uses?

I also rarely remember to use might and agility but those have obvious uses and are quite strong.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 01:02

Re: Uses for potion of brilliance?

It makes your spells a lot more powerful and reliable. Also, you could learn spells early.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 01:10

Huh, I was under the impression that it only boosted int. Good to know.

I'll give it a shot on the GrEE I'm playing right now.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 01:15

yeah id say the most powerful use for them is to be able to learn a spell you otherwise wouldnt be able to. but theyre great for a quick boost of spellpower too, kinda like might for your magical abilities
Last edited by variouselite on Monday, 9th December 2013, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 01:30

um the spellpower boost is very noticeable

think of it as a potion of might for conjurations

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 01:58

It's invaluable sometimes, today I was attacked by Nessos and had to quaff a potion of brilliance to get Bolt of Fire from 8% (yellow) to 1% (gray). Who knows whether I would survive without the potion, I had neither rF+ nor rPois.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 14:17

Brilliance's impact on spell success rates is good, but the real strength of the potion is in the large spellpower boost it gives you, which increases damage/accuracy on conjurations and chance of success on hexes.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 00:41

Cant imagine why it would be considered useful for learning spells, given that if you cant memorize the spell without the potion, you certainly arent going to be casting it reliably, if at all once the potion wears off.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 01:00

Sometimes that 100% failure spell is the only one you've encountered which uses the skill needed to train it.

For example once in a blue moon, Haste is the first charm spell I use/encounter. In that circumstance, using brilliance allows you to memorize the spell so you can start training it so you can use it.

More frequently it's useful for the bonus spellpower. Seriously, like might for spells.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 04:21

I have used !brilliance to get LRD usable on a character that had little magic training (at that point) in order to bust open one of those partly transparent stone cages with a glowing triple sword inside.

But, as others have said, the main reason to use them is for anyone who will like the spell power boost. You should quaff them for tough fights before using spells for which spell power matters, typically conjurations or hexes.

GC

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 20th December 2013, 09:56

I tend to let them pile up until I really need them....

You can use them to get lv 9 spells up and running fairly early. Just the boost you may need to get shatter or fire/ice storm castable for stair hopping on V5. If I have enough of these potions I can normally clear Vault 5 as soon as I find it (or die horridly). Just an idea.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 22nd December 2013, 14:39

1) Memorizing a spell that is at 100% failrate but don't have the respective school open yet or any other lower level spell that can unlock said school.
2) Killing Cerebov
Spoiler: show
>:V=3

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice