Rescue this DECj on the orb run

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 21:52

Re: Rescue this DECj on the orb run

Well here's something you didnt mention:
What benefits was lichform actually giving you in this situation?
It is clear it has drawbacks; you ran into some of those.
If the drawbacks of being in lichform outweigh the advantages you clearly don't want to be in lichform in this situation.

I believe that lichform is usually a waste of xp but if you somehow get it without spending xp (this doesn't happen, but let's pretend it does) then it is not a bad spell to have available; it certainly makes many things in extended simpler. Like every other transformation spell it is also not something you want active all the time.

I mean yes it is obvious there are also additional tactical mistakes that happened, but using lichform when it actively makes you worse is still a tactical mistake.

instead of risky meleeing which also requires xp investment

A comment on this: personally I find melee significantly less risky than relying on spells, and if you have done a 15 rune game the xp cost is completely ignorable at some point.
I am not saying your character should melee hell sentinels and brimstone fiends and reapers, but I am saying that it is definitely useful to not have to use mp to kill things like ynoxinuls and hellwings and guardian mummies.

Now I think you would agree that my actions were right there with tabbing through first levels on an unarmed OpWz in terms of unprofessionality.

Have you tried this? It's actually really strong, though obviously picking up a weapon is better than 0 skill unarmed. Op has a very noticeable aux and additionally has constriction.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 22:17

crate wrote:Well here's something you didnt mention:
What benefits was lichform actually giving you in this situation?
It is clear it has drawbacks; you ran into some of those.
If the drawbacks of being in lichform outweigh the advantages you clearly don't want to be in lichform in this situation.

I believe that lichform is usually a waste of xp but if you somehow get it without spending xp (this doesn't happen, but let's pretend it does) then it is not a bad spell to have available; it certainly makes many things in extended simpler. Like every other transformation spell it is also not something you want active all the time.

I mean yes it is obvious there are also additional tactical mistakes that happened, but using lichform when it actively makes you worse is still a tactical mistake.

Well, I totally agree that lichform was hurting me in this situation. But an overall waste of xp in my case? I honestly don't know :) Should experiment more.
Acquiring XP certainly didn't seem like a porblem in extended. I didn't pick it up until my 4th or 5th rune and it didn't take me long to get it castable.
Edit: I kinda see your point now. I certainly wouldn't get lichform for a 3-rune game.

A comment on this: personally I find melee significantly less risky than relying on spells, and if you have done a 15 rune game the xp cost is completely ignorable at some point.
I am not saying your character should melee hell sentinels and brimstone fiends and reapers, but I am saying that it is definitely useful to not have to use mp to kill things like ynoxinuls and hellwings and guardian mummies.

I'll try doing that in extended. I used to keep a branded weapon on casters in early and mid but it led to a lot of splats. There's always the temptation to finish off that ogre with just one hit of you dagger of electrocution after your mp is gone and it's standing next to you almost dead. Just one more hit... Ouch, you die.

Have you tried this? It's actually really strong, though obviously picking up a weapon is better than 0 skill unarmed. Op has a very noticeable aux and additionally has constriction.

That's me being incompetent, sorry.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 22:46

I have mixed feelings about your victory... Because I think such mistakes shouldn't be forgiven by RNG, more so - winning after them. It's kinda unfair to players who tried hard not to make them. Just kidding. I hope you remember this victory and hold this memory as dearly as I remember mine.

As for NM, it might help for those things from the abyss that torment you by exploding. Nothing else comes to mind, though.
Last edited by Amnesiac on Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 01:26

It's bad in the abyss though because wretched stars will stat drain and rot you horribly and quickly.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 01:43

I mean transform, let it explode and then end the transformation. It's also good as a substitude for the amulet of rMut. It's funny how half of this or more is a discussion of NM, it's related to the OP's problem, though, so it's not entirely off topic...

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 04:40

Awesome dude. I don't think anyone expected you to live, but you showed us...

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 05:45

Amnesiac wrote:I have mixed feelings about your victory... Because I think such mistakes shouldn't be forgiven by RNG, more so - winning after them. It's kinda unfair to players who tried hard not to make them. Just kidding. I hope you remember this victory and hold this memory as dearly as I remember mine.

As for NM, it might help for those things from the abyss that torment you by exploding. Nothing else comes to mind, though. Mabe

I wasn't thinking I'm gonna survive too, it's just that the new evocables are really that powerful (and fun!). Perhaps they should be nerfed at some point. For example when you use one of them you should get a debuff that prevents you from using other similar evocables for certain time or until the first one is recharged. As things are now, with multiple fans of gales and phials, you can shove panlords around along with all their minions to steal runes, create steam covers to esacpe (like this time) and you get decent summons too!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 06:23

Congratulations on your win!

Listen to what blue names advise but still use what you like more. I always go for Necromutation if I can (without any farming), even when I know it is not recommended by top players. For example, SpEn of Ash has +3 Transmutation aptitude - why should I avoid Necromutation which solves hunger/torment/mutation problem and is easy to achieve when I am basically happy with other skills and need Necromancy for DD or BR any way???

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 12:31

In the escape advice, I don't think any of us mentioned phial + fire to create steam, but that sounds like a smart move, and a good one to keep in mind for the future. Congratulations on your escape.
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice