my food fell through a shaft, is it gone?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 03:05

my food fell through a shaft, is it gone?

I accidentally played the Minefield card near my stash in Lair:1 and a a shaft opened up under my big pile of food. All the food fell through. I found a few rations spread out on the floor below, but not nearly all of them. I searched each level in the lair, first "clearing" my level memory so I could auto-explore again, but I can't find any more. I also can't find them in my .lst file. Are the rations destroyed? Is there another way to find them? I'm a Spriggan, so appropriate food is hard to come by. This might sink an otherwise promising game.
27 wins: CeHu(1), DgFE(1), DEEE(1), DEFE(2), DsBe(1), DsFE(1), DsFi(1), DsIE(1), HOFi(2), MiBe(1), MiFi(6), MiHe(1), MuFE(1), MuWz(1), OpFE(1), SpEE(1), SpEn(1), TeAE(1), TrMo(1), VpIE(1)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 03:32

Re: my food fell through a shaft, is it gone?

Perhaps some of it dropped down more than one level?

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 03:49

sgrunt wrote:Perhaps some of it dropped down more than one level?

I searched the entire branch. No food!
27 wins: CeHu(1), DgFE(1), DEEE(1), DEFE(2), DsBe(1), DsFE(1), DsFi(1), DsIE(1), HOFi(2), MiBe(1), MiFi(6), MiHe(1), MuFE(1), MuWz(1), OpFE(1), SpEE(1), SpEn(1), TeAE(1), TrMo(1), VpIE(1)

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 05:45

jiyva time!
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/pac.html
Sequell> Pac has 12 consecutive wins (CeAK, TrAK, DrAK, SpAK, MfAK, HOAK, DsAK, KoAK, MiAK, HaAK, HuAK, GhAK).
Abyssal Knight guide

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:08

I'm confused - what's the purpose of a food stash on a spriggan? I mean, I ran an itemless spriggan where I never did anything with food except eating it off the floor and never had anything resembling hunger issues.

1-2 rations with you +1-3 smaller foods (honeycomb?) and the natural spawn rate of food in the dungeon should really be enough, no? But then, I play a wizard so i probably have a different perspective on hungering.

-AHMAD
Last edited by BountyHunterSAx on Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:10

To not have to carry all your food around at once. Duh. :)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:18

BountyHunterSAx wrote:I'm confused - what's the purpose of a food stash on a spriggan? I mean, I ran an itemless spriggan where I never did anything with food except eating it off the floor and never had anything resembling hunger issues.

If you picked up items perhaps you wouldn't be so confused ;) . A lot of players prefer to stash excess stuff rather than leave it scattered across the dungeon.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:24

BountyHunterSAx wrote:I'm confused - what's the purpose of a food stash on a spriggan?

Spriggan Food Network.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:25

I can understand that for precious items - like cure mutation pots or (if you're saving it against later need) an acquirement scroll. But with food it almost seems like it would only hurt you to stash it rather than help you. At least on a character like a Spriggan where you're seldom in 'urgent' need of food since your meals last you for so long and can be eaten whenever. Isn't it *better* that food be scattered about the dungeon - so no matter where you are you're likely to have food on hand? I dunno, managing the stash seems like a bunch of back-and-forth that doesn't make much sense to me.

Incidentally, i know that when you shaft enemies and uniques they persist and show up one or more floors deeper cuz it's happened to me; so I'm surprised if food/loot isn't working the same way.

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:29

BountyHunterSAx wrote:I can understand that for precious items - like cure mutation pots or (if you're saving it against later need) an acquirement scroll. But with food it almost seems like it would only hurt you to stash it rather than help you. At least on a character like a Spriggan where you're seldom in 'urgent' need of food since your meals last you for so long and can be eaten whenever. Isn't it *better* that food be scattered about the dungeon - so no matter where you are you're likely to have food on hand? I dunno, managing the stash seems like a bunch of back-and-forth that doesn't make much sense to me.

Stashing isn't really beneficial, it's just done to make things more organized.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 17:36

I carry my early food down to L:1, then when I finish Lair I bring up all the food up on my way back to the Dungeon. After that I just drop food in corners.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice