Acid Damage

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 17:27

Acid Damage

Knowledge Bot keeps telling me

"Acid damage increases for each unequipped item slot (50% chance if wearing a cloak)."

So what does that mean?

Does that mean I should equip as much as I can (hat, gloves, etc.) and if I am not wearing boots, I take more acid damage?

Or does that mean I have to fill up every carry slot, like put a uniquely inscribed sling stone into each carry slot?

And if I wear a cloak, there is an additional 50% chance I won't get hurt?

Just not "getting it".
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 17:32

Re: Acid Damage

It's not that complicated. :)

I don't know the details but the idea is that acid on skin hurts a lot, so any body part that is covered in armour increases the protection. Gloves protecting your hands, boots your feet, etc. Apparently, a cloak fits loose enough that part of the acid still splashes through.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 17:34

True, but the rest of the time the cloak will protect your gear from harm, presumably since it goes on over everything. Do be prepared for a rather tattered cloak though. You might consider carrying a spare around just to deal with acid so your nice ones don't get negs.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 17:39

It is poorly worded.

Are characters that cannot equip certain slots (spriggans with boots, gloves, heh) more vulnerable, or do those sections qualify as "unable to hit with acid"?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2011, 17:45

Code-wise, the game simply counts the number of unoccupied slots (except shield!) and uses the (resulting counter + 2) as a modifier in the acid damage calculation. For each uncovered slot, if you are wearing a cloak, there's a 50% chance of the counter not being increased. The fur mutation reduces the modifier further by (mutation level) * (free slot counter) / 5.

Incidentally, cloaks also have a 50% chance of preventing corrosion of any non-shield armour piece.

XuaXua wrote:Are characters that cannot equip certain slots (spriggans with boots, gloves, heh) more vulnerable, or do those sections qualify as "unable to hit with acid"?

They are more vulnerable. Their hands and feets are as vulnerable to acid as any other species' (generally speaking, ignoring fur and DDs' damage shaving), they're simply unfortunate enough not to find any armour to protect themselves.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

For this message the author jpeg has received thanks:
XuaXua

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice