Enhancer staves query

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 15:46

Enhancer staves query

Hi everyone. I'm still a bit uncertain about how to make best use of enhancer staves. I'm currently rocking a staff of fire on my DrFE, which adds one pip to my spell power. The knowledge bot description gives this formula - "(2*evoc + magic skill)/30 chance of getting random2(1.25*(magic skill + evoc/2)) extra damage that ignores AC (except earth), but checks the appropriate resistance."

This suggests that training Evocations would be useful if I wished to use this staff as a melee weapon; however, as I intend to stay out of melee where possible I don't think this would be a worthwhile use of XP. But can its enhancer power be increased i.e. if I trained Evocations would there be a point where two pips (or more!) were added to the spell power?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 15:54

Re: Enhancer staves query

Evocations only has an effect on the staff's bonus melee damage. The spell enhancer effect is separate.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 16:01

You train evocations later on to get better usage out of CBoE (or Wucad Mu if you're lucky). It just so happens this is around the time you want to have a melee option to kill harmless popcorn instead of wasting mp on them as you've cleared your memory of all the low level spells to make room for the big things.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 16:20

CBoE is better than Sif channeling is it? The description in the bot makes it sound potentially lethal.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 16:31

Moanerette wrote:CBoE is better than Sif channeling is it? The description in the bot makes it sound potentially lethal.

It is if you're not prepared for the downsides and the bot tells you those. At the same time, it's much faster than Sif channeling. Sif can't take you from 25 MP to 50 MP in one turn; a CBoE can.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 16:39

Moanerette wrote:CBoE is better than Sif channeling is it? The description in the bot makes it sound potentially lethal.

It's one of the reasons I've never worshipped Sif in years, replacing her with Kiku as my default caster god. Now with the new Veh, I'll have to see how I develop my preferences.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 17:00

Heh, I wanted to take the new Veh, but sod's law meant he wasn't in the temple. Thanks for the answers everyone.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 18:04

New Veh: definitely worthwhile.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 20:00

Moanerette wrote:Heh, I wanted to take the new Veh, but sod's law meant he wasn't in the temple. Thanks for the answers everyone.

If you really want him, you just skip all the Temple altars and stay atheist until you find his altar.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice