YASDIP, how do I get out of this one?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 03:06

YASDIP, how do I get out of this one?

Here is the dump:
http://crawlus.somatika.net/dumps/ddubois/ddubois.txt

Here is the situation:

Here is what I have to deal with it:
Scrolls
a - a scroll of teleportation
f - a scroll of curse armour
h - a scroll labeled KYULUY PREZAUXO (this is either holy, EW3, or silence)
m - 2 scrolls of curse jewellery
o - a scroll of curse weapon
p - 3 scrolls of identify
q - 6 scrolls of remove curse
A - 2 scrolls of amnesia
E - 3 scrolls of unholy creation
J - a scroll of vulnerability
Potions
d - 3 potions of restore abilities
e - 2 potions of porridge
i - a potion of levitation
j - 4 potions of might
k - 6 potions of curing
r - a potion of cure mutation
w - a potion of invisibility
x - a potion of berserk rage
B - 4 potions of agility
F - 3 potions of speed
G - a potion of heal wounds
I - a potion of mutation
Miscellaneous
T - a plain deck of summonings {the Dance}

I guess if I was smart I would have bailed on the level when I saw the Ice Fiend, or potioned up before trying to approach a pack of sleeping dudes. The large pile of item symbols made me temporarily dumb and I hoped 22 Stealth would be able to stab through the whole pack. :( Instead dude woke up and bolted me for 52 in one round.

I'm hoping for suggestions of a specific order of operations, for example: 1) !speed 2) ?tele 3) !healwounds 4) !agility 5) step NW, etc.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 06:29

Re: YASDIP, how do I get out of this one?

You're probably hosed.

Next time drop your potions before entering an ice cave. Lugging cmut and your good tactical consumables into an ice cave is really sloppy play, even if you have conservation.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 06:44

Hmm...

IF you new for sure that that un-ID'd scroll was a silence (ie: by wizmode/scumming), then silence + running away would be DAMN effective, since you can probably oturun the fiends and they wont be able to do anything under the silence. Or better yet, tele+silence if you're willing to risk that one turn first.

Opening with wounds is a straight-up bad idea. If they're gonna kill you, it's gonna be a one-shot ... you buy yourself at best the one turn you use, and lower the distance.

Continued later...
-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 06:57

Couldn't stand waiting any longer, so I went !speed, !agility, ?tele, !healw, and started walking away. He never landed another shot against 41 EV, so the last two consumables were wasted. Given that, and the possibility that with a pre-approach speed/agil/might I may have wiped the pack and been able to go toe-to-toe with him, living feels like a loss here. Better than dead tho.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 07:01

BountyHunterSAx wrote:Hmm...

silence + running away ...is a straight-up bad idea.

Agreed.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 07:04

defen wrote:You're probably hosed.

Next time drop your potions before entering an ice cave. Lugging cmut and your good tactical consumables into an ice cave is really sloppy play, even if you have conservation.

Well, I was running away from Norris and some other mobs on a wide open level to enter the cave, so I didn't have time for inventory management.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 07:13

1. Don't escape into ice caves
to the other guy:
2. dont scum
3. fiends don't care about silence
4. teleporting isn't good either

OP: you did the right thing by hasting yourself asap

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 09:28

.. and I died going through some stairs directly into the middle of a centaur warrior-led pack that took me from 82 to 3hp in one round.

Man, SpEn are fun, but I always have some bullshit death with them. There's always some monster that wakes up and one-shots me the turn I step next to them, or some ranged guy who blasts me to bits while I'm invis, or back-to-back blade traps, or whatevers. Really frustrated with "fragile, but goes into melee range" archetype.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 12:15

I apologize for my ill-thought-out post. It wasn't malicious, it was just a mistake. I had to bail before I could finish or edit it in any way . . . and the result was that I never had the chance to get back to it till now. Still, seems you were okay and other people pointed out all the mistakes.

So no harm no foul :).

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 14:54

Sorry about your death ddubois. SpEn is a very powerful combo but so squishy that you can easily be taken from full HP to near-death in a single turn even if you're doing most things right. If you're speedrunning, you've got to take these sudden bursts of damage (and this sort of death) as part of the job description. If you're just trying to win, there are a few "best practices" a SpEn can follow to maximize her chances of winning:

Once you get to the level where yaktaurs and centaur warrior packs become common--let's say around D16/early Vaults--you should start to expect to occasionally descend into some nasty groups of enemies. At this point any squishy character should cast repel missiles (could you have learned this spell?) before descending for the first time. In fact, on SpEn, I often will pre-cast invisibility because there will likely be at least an ugly thing pack to stab on the new floor (if you're speedrunning you want to maximize your kills/invisibility cast so this might not be an option you're willing to take)

One more specific thing: as I suppose you now know, casting invisibility to escape monsters which are dealing heavy damage isn't the best option. The bad guys will remember where you are/were and can still hit you--better off healing and crossing your fingers.

Anyway gl with your games.

AHMAD: it's cool

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice