Draconian Transumter!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 11th October 2012, 17:40

Draconian Transumter!

I have een trying to decide for a long time what god I would follow, so I fugured I'd ask you guys. normally i go with Okawaru for everything,but the armor restrictions and the unarmed combat training make his gifts very unlikely to be helpful.

What do you suggest?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 11th October 2012, 19:12

Re: Draconian Transumter!

Finesse and Heroism aren't bad, and maybe you can get lucky with some piece of randart armour.

Otherwise if you like to go "exotic" you can try Chei or Nemelex. Ely and Makhleb can be a nice addition, the latter providing summons that you cannot get from Trog due to spellcasting. Ely makes for a seamless switch to TSO.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 11th October 2012, 19:14

Okawaru is still really good, as UC benefits from Heroism a lot. He won't give you unusable armour and will help with your assorted slots. Makhleb is probably the other simplest choice. Sif Muna guarantees you dragon/statue forms, but is not ideal. Elyvilon could be interesting but it's probably too much XP needed. Nemelex Xobeh will give you many good abilities. Yredelemnul would be pretty good. Cheibriados for damage output and a death.

While I'd likely go Okawaru here, I'm baffled by "Okawaru for everything" - there are so many gods, all reasonable for something.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th October 2012, 19:18

Good gods for transmuter in no particular order: Makhleb, okawaru, elyvilon, fedhas, nemelex, yredelemnul, jiyva. Gods who are definitely bad for transmuter: Zin, Trog. Gods who are ok but imo not the best: everyone else.

Okawaru's armour gifts are actually better on average if he cannot gift you body armours, since most artefact body armours are bad (especially heavy armours), so being a draconian is an advantage there. Additionally heroism is probably better for UC than for most weapons. Personally I like makhleb, fedhas, or ely the most for transmuter, but I also just dislike okawaru in general.

edit: As an aside, the spell I most want from Sif as a transmuter is actually Ozocubu's Armour, not another transmutation. But then I also use ice form more than blade hands all game long, and my transmuters don't train dodging nor armour very much.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 11th October 2012, 20:33

rchandra wrote:Cheibriados for damage output and a death.

sigworthy
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 11th October 2012, 20:53

Ash is my preferred for this combo. The skill boost brings statue/dragon form online earlier. Although admittedly you still have to find them...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 01:09

I think the reason 'Okawaru for everything' is because he's easy to go with. Just use heroism/finesse whenever you see hoard of enemy or particularly tough unique.

I'm doing Draconian monk now, and found transmuter book so I'm like transmuter now. Personally I didn't find his gifts really useful. He bestowed me with all kind of weapon and large shields, which I don't really intend to use it. The +4 glove with stat bonuses were nice though.

I'm heading lv 20 now, and would like to know how do transmuters fight. For the moment I use beastly appendage for extra dmg when fighting group of monsters, blade hand+heroism for tough moments, and spider form to escape. Training earth magic to cast statue form. Is this okay?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 01:59

My transmuters ice form everything. Spider form for early game while it's still super OP and better than ice form; blade hands lategame if I'm fighting stuff with fire attacks.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 12th October 2012, 15:27

Rapigel wrote:Ash is my preferred for this combo.

Yes, Ash is nice.

Rapigel wrote:The skill boost brings statue/dragon form online earlier.

... and lots of other useful spells like haste, cBlink etc. And detection and scrying is great.
This was my Dr"Tm", although he started as DrNe.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 21:11

Rapigel wrote:Ash is my preferred for this combo. The skill boost brings statue/dragon form online earlier. Although admittedly you still have to find them...

Having Heroism and raising less Unarmed Combat to use that advantage also brings statue/dragon form online earlier.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 21:46

cerebovssquire wrote:Having Heroism and raising less Unarmed Combat to use that advantage also brings statue/dragon form online earlier.

True. However, Turgon nailed the other reason I prefer Ash for this one. I also have a irrational bias against gods that gift items. I just never liked that mechanic, and I'm prepared to play suboptimally to indulge my bias.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th October 2012, 21:47

I don't like ash for unarmed characters because you can't just bind your weapon to gain piety more easily. Well, you can do so with transmuter, but it's tremendously awkward (can't fight outside of forms at all) and I wouldn't recommend doing so.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 15th October 2012, 15:27

Well, my DrTm of Ash simply binded the first halberd I found. This means it's realy easy to bind two slots (unlike when you realy want to use a weapon). It's a little awkward, yes, but terribly so - I used my forms in almost every combat anyway. You still can kill a rat with an unskilled halberd.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice