Vampiric weapon - how do you use it?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 21:24

Vampiric weapon - how do you use it?

I get it that you need to be full to wear it. But I also assume that it will drop any time you become less than full. So how do you fix this? Even with amulet of gourmand you will sometimes lose the 'full' status. And you can't possibly count on permafood, because no way you'll find enough of it. So, what's the trick?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 21:39

Re: Vampiric weapon - how do you use it?

Vampiric only require "full" status to be wielded, then you can have any level of satiation. Wield that weapon - if it's good - and don't worry anymore.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
white_noise

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 22:03

The weapon is _not_ unequipped when you fall below full.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 04:21

But doesn't it require to have full satiation every time you try to equip it? I think other brands are much better.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 04:37

nordetsa wrote:But doesn't it require to have full satiation every time you try to equip it? I think other brands are much better.

1. Vampiric is very powerful.
2. You wouldn't need to re-equip it many times, unless you're also using ranged weapons.
3. Food is quite abundant.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 05:58

So what's the point? Devs should just remove the requirement. It's pretty pointless.

For this message the author daftfad has received thanks:
dassem

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 08:07

pratamawirya wrote:2. You wouldn't need to re-equip it many times, unless you're also using ranged weapons.

Good think is that you don't need to unequip main weapon to throw something. And throwing some heavy stuff 'of returning' can work wonders.
But I'm not sure if you can cut off chunks with a glaive... Can you?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 08:29

You can butcher with the 2-handed polearms (halberd, glaive, bardiche).
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 14:25

daftfad wrote:So what's the point? Devs should just remove the requirement. It's pretty pointless.

Because you're committed to using that vampiric weapon and can't just switch to it when you want some health back. Vampiric is already one of the strongest brands in the game, not a bad thing to have it have some sort of drawback

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th August 2012, 14:45

When I said "food is quite abundant", I didn't mean "food is quite abundant so you can just unequip and equip your vampiric weapon as often as you like".

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 05:30

Too bad some weapons with vampiric brand are really hard to use. Came across demon trident with vampiric brand, but unless I am undead or so it would be pointless to equip it.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 05:39

nordetsa wrote:Too bad some weapons with vampiric brand are really hard to use. Came across demon trident with vampiric brand, but unless I am undead or so it would be pointless to equip it.

Animate skeleton is kind of a common spell, or if you are a conjurer-style player, OOD also works wonders, so do wands of disintegration (there are much more of them then I need in my typical game). Even without it permafood is plenty and overrated and by the end of Lair you are pretty likely to end up with a heckload of rations and/or a truck of honeycombs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 14:53

There's also amulets of gourmand, and kobolds and trolls, which let you unequip non-bladed vampiric weapons to engorge yourself. Or spriggans which don't eat what they butcher anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 16:51

Don't forget Inner Flame!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 17:33

I want to say that LRD can gibbify monsters, if its scratch damage to fleshy targets happens to kill it.

And I also seem to recall that Petrify + LRD can scatter stones...which turn into chunks when the Petrify wears off.

(And I may be heading for badforum. Time to roll another EE and actually try this.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 17:38

Stormfox wrote:I want to say that LRD can gibbify monsters, if its scratch damage to fleshy targets happens to kill it.

Lee's can't target fleshy creatures anymore.
Stormfox wrote:And I also seem to recall that Petrify + LRD can scatter stones...which turn into chunks when the Petrify wears off.

It will scatter chunks, but not stones. Maybe the stones thing was from another game? It sounds cool.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 18:04

BlackSheep wrote:
Stormfox wrote:I want to say that LRD can gibbify monsters, if its scratch damage to fleshy targets happens to kill it.

By "scratch damage", I think he means damage caused when they are in the blast radius of a targeted wall. I'm playing a stalker right now and I know I've seen some chunks get blown around, but I can't remember if it was from this "scratch damage" or if it was from petrified monsters that I blew up. Probably the latter.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 18:14

Blyxx wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

By "scratch damage", I think he means damage caused when they are in the blast radius of a targeted wall. I'm playing a stalker right now and I know I've seen some chunks get blown around, but I can't remember if it was from this "scratch damage" or if it was from petrified monsters that I blew up. Probably the latter.

No, he meant the very minor damage that the spell used to do to soft targets. The blast damage from walls and solid creatures shattering doesn't do anything special to creatures. As I said above, a petrified creature killed by LRD can scatter chunks.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 15:21

Correct. Since it's been a while since I've played an EE (and even when I did, I didn't often hit non-petrified monsters with LRD and almost never on purpose), I didn't realize that the targeting of non-brittle monsters had been removed from it.

The point was that there are multiple solutions to keeping a non-bladed vampiric weapon equipped and still being able to feed yourself. (Or any cursed non-bladed weapon, for Ash worshipers.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 01:13

Stormfox wrote: (Or any cursed non-bladed weapon, for Ash worshipers.)

Ever wonder why one common vault for Ash altar have a book containing animate skeleton... :D

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice