I'm annoyed by everyone calling the wiki outdated!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 25th August 2012, 15:02

Re: I'm annoyed by everyone calling the wiki outdated!

mikee wrote:A result is that people end up developing a lot of bad habits and unnecessary concern about mechanics like str/dex weighting of weapons or the popular off-hand punch.
Many times I have read a help request from someone who states he has been using information from the wiki, and when he explains the choices he has made in his game and his reasoning for it, I don't know what to say. I want to help such a person, but the first thing I need to do is make him unlearn all the crap that the wiki taught him (and this can be more difficult than it sounds).

The more I play the clearer it becomes how true this is. Questionable information from the Wiki is responsible for dozens of deceased characters I played.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 25th August 2012, 20:56

Crawl is random enough that I don't believe guides are very helpful. It's infinitely more useful to learn the mechanics of the game, so one can react intelligently to situations as the RNG presents them.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 12th August 2013, 21:29

In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the Hitch-Hiker's Guide has already supplanted the great Encyclopaedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects. First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover. (Douglas Adams)

In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the CrawlWiki has already supplanted the great Knowledge Bots as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects. First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 03:28

The wiki has panic written all over it.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks: 6
and into, Arrhythmia, ebarrett, Grimm, mikee, rebthor
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice