0.9.1 odd Pet Behaviour

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 04:30

0.9.1 odd Pet Behaviour

Played a Summoner in 0.9.1 and I noticed early on (on former player ghosts) that my pets didn’t attack those. Later on I met Boris (which became my undoing) and cast every summon I had on him, including see invis/sense inv canines, Ice Bears, Imps, Hydras and still no one attacked him. Is this a known bug in 0.9.1? Noticed afterwards that theres a newer version out (0.9.2) and wonder if that´s fixed in the latter?
Last edited by graffen69 on Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 05:13

Re: 0.9.1 odd Pet Behaviour

Default ally behavior is different in crawl than with nethack's pets.

In nethack, a pet will tend to charge enemies as soon as they enter LOS, even if it's suicide to do so.

In crawl, allies tend to stick around you, until they acquire a target. This target acquisition can happen in a few ways: you attack something, something closes and attacks you or your ally, or you shout (t) a command to attack a specific target. If you expect your allies to target acquire on their own when fighting ranged opponents, you may be disappointed.

Latest stable is up to 0.10.3 now, actually. Or if you want cutting edge, you can pull trunk (pre-release development version). Downloads page is here.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 05:48

Nods, i probably shoulda mentioned i usually play trunk, but for summoner builds I go back to 0.9 for intelligent summons to use weapons and to avoid polearm reaching and i use (t) commands all the time. Despite of this, my pets seem to treat undead mobs (or at least player ghosts, wights and Boris) as they weren't there, only striking back if they were attacked first. No amount of ordering them to attack did anything. Regarding the "newer" version i was only referring to the 0.9.X - series.
Last edited by graffen69 on Thursday, 16th August 2012, 04:33, edited 2 times in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2012, 12:19

minmay wrote:Press t and then w. This orders your allies to attack anything hostile they see.

This probably is the key. Allies as far as I know, can't attack what they can't see.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice