DDBe: weapon for massive enchanting

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 14:04

DDBe: weapon for massive enchanting

I wasted some enchantment scrolls already but now I am saving them for uberweapon. The question is, what weapon it should be? I'm playing DDBe and Trog gives me some stuff from time to time. What should I wait for before putting enchantments on it? For example, now I got +1, +7 dwarven war axe of antimagic and +3, +4 broad axe of chopping. And I have no idea how good this antimagic really is, or how much dmg gives 'chopping' or 'dwarven'. So, shoud I pick one of this axes, or should I wait for better brands? What the best thing Trog can drop on me?

Another question: what should I wait from treasure trove? I never been there. Should I keep enchantment scrolls for stuff that I might found there? It asking for 14 scrolls of identify and I got half of it already. I guess it's crazy low price to enter and I get another half pretty soon.

Or should I enchant whatever I use right now, do not save scrolls at all, and just wait for artifact to drop.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 15:10

Re: DDBe: weapon for massive enchanting

I'd enchant anything useful to +4, unless you're sure it's your end-game weapon.
Beyond +4 you'll be wasting lots of scrolls, so no point doing that on "interim" weapons.
Antimagic is good against spellcasters (causes their spellcasting to fail).

Edit: Troves can have any type of items. Don't count on it having anything useful to you.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 16:22

May I ask why +4? Is this a breaking point of some kind? Can I fail enchanting? Or it's just average enchantment level?

Also I doubt I can identify endgame weapon, given that I never been at the end. What statistic tells? Does enchanted weapons beats artifacts, or vice versa?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 16:42

After +4 enchanting can fail, yes.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 17:04

For an axe user, the endgame weapon you want is probably some kind of executioner's axe. The biggest impediment to getting one is rarity, but you're worshiping Trog. You'll get one gifted eventually.

Generally, when picking an endgame weapon, you want the most damaging thing in the right weapon class, within considerations of handedness and rarity. Don't let artefact shininess tempt you into using something with inferior damage or enchantment, especially if the artefact bonuses aren't worth it.

Not that it's not possible for your endgame weapon to be an awesome artefact with useful properties. It just happens less likely than you'd like.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th August 2012, 18:00

Trog gave me an artifact executioner's axe called Xom's Favor. It has some useful properties, but unfortunately teleports me constantly. Maybe I'll get lucky and find control teleport somewhere...

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 11th August 2012, 05:32

Yeah, randomly tele probably isn't worth it. A source of ctele would be great, but you'll pile up glow having it on all the time. Stasis would keep you in place, but denies you berserk.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 11:39

Back to this topic. I got +6,+4 executioner's axe of freezing and +4,+4 dwarven battleaxe of flaming. First has bigger dmg rating, but second has 'dwarven' prefix. Which is better?
Another very promising DDBe is still alive and I wondering what brand should I really look for to be my end-game weapon? What resists later-game mobs tend to have? Or maybe I shouldn't look for elemental dmg at all and take 'of chopping' or something?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 11:48

Go with the executioners axe and pump axes skill up to ~20.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 15:27

Dammit to hell! 71dmg by titanic slime. How can I anticipate this?..
Lost my best char to this thing. And he was so young...
:(

Although my axe was really good :)

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 15:45

ouch. I have a few deaths from underestimating slimes too. I think titanic can do over 100. You couldn't anticipate it before it happened (or at least seeing a large slime creature hit you), but now you know.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 15:48

File that one under Tough Love. Standing next to Titanic Slimes is Dangerous.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 16:12

white_noise wrote:Dammit to hell! 71dmg by titanic slime. How can I anticipate this?..
Lost my best char to this thing. And he was so young...

Learned the lesseon not to fight merged slimes when my character got mangled for 100 damage.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th August 2012, 23:13

merged slimes are absolutely killer, and what's worse, they don't give you any real benefit for killing them, vs seperate ones. You just have to know how to keep them from joining, and have a way to get away instantly if they do end up merged and next to you. For bonus points, follow Chei and try fighting them...it becomes much more interesting :)

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th August 2012, 16:23

DOn't fight merged slimes in narrow corridors. They have a chance to split back apart if there is an adjacent tile near you that they can fit in.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice