Some OgHu questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 02:06

Some OgHu questions

Ok I have been playing a ton of ogre hunters lately. They have some issues, but the giant rocks have gotten me through some tough spots. I still haven't gotten past vaults though, mostly due too crappy things like no Pr and running in to a gang of kobolds with curare needles or getting abyssed, once by a berserk rupert. Anyways I have been getting to lair fairly frequently so it hasn't been a total loss and I had a few questions. First, how should I distribute stats? I have been putting most in to Int to prepare for spellcasting later, haste and such. Second, when should I start using the giant clubs? Sometimes I get one early but the -6 to hit kept me from equipping it. I usually wait till I am around 16-18 depending on what else I have found. Should I enchant my rocks? I have been dumping all my enchant scrolls in to my GSC so far. Skills, armor vs dodging? How high should I get armor and dodging, and should I invest anything in to shields for TSOs ability? Any other advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 03:10

Re: Some OgHu questions

I, personally, use giant clubs as soon as I find them. Using a decent mace is probably better due to the obscene attack delay, but having the base damage that a GSC provides in the early dungeon levels will usually let you kill anything in a single attack. The -6 to hit isn't as much of an issue as the attack delay, imho.

You are correct with your stats. If you want to cast, hit int every time. If not, I prefer Str for Maximum Large Rockage. You'll really want to cast, though.

Dodging. You can go armor and hope for an early beefy dragon hide, but that is all going to be up to luck. I'd play it safe and go dodging unless you find a quick dragon armor.

Unsure about enchanting rocks and shields. If I had to guess, I'd say enchant the GSC and ignore shields until you have absolutely nothing better to level up.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 03:32

I'll try to fraps an OgHu to lair with commentary tomorrow. It is probably my most reliable combo to get to lair every time.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 14:19

Ogres like other large races get huge EV penalty: without raising dex (and for you shouldn't never raise Dex with an ogre), with 27 dodging and a robe you would get 19 max EV - I wouldn't ever consider to waste all those xp on dodging!

Personally, I'd try to find a whip of venom/elec or a mace with a decent brand and use it, at least until getting a decent attack delay with gsc (above average, I'd say). However, against monster with really low EV and big hp pool the gsc could be better even at low attack speed - you should use the weapons' spreedsheat to check.

For large rock: usually Hu should use enchant weapon II/III on melee weapon (if using any) and enchant weapon I on their missiles. In this specific case, considering large rocks are very common, have a really low mulch rate and do an insane amount of base damage and that gsc have a terrible hit modifier, using enchant weapon I on gsc could be more worthy - maybe a blue name could illuminate me as well on this point.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 14:32

nago wrote:Ogres like other large races get huge EV penalty: without raising dex (and for you shouldn't never raise Dex with an ogre), with 27 dodging and a robe you would get 19 max EV - I wouldn't ever consider to waste all those xp on dodging!

Oh dear, I guess you learn something new every day. Alright, forget dodging.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 14:55

For large rock: usually Hu should use enchant weapon II/III on melee weapon (if using any) and enchant weapon I on their missiles. In this specific case, considering large rocks are very common, have a really low mulch rate and do an insane amount of base damage and that gsc have a terrible hit modifier, using enchant weapon I on gsc could be more worthy - maybe a blue name could illuminate me as well on this point.

Here's my illumination: play trunk, new ammo is better :P

Right before ammo enchantment was removed, EW III was buffed to enchant missiles with 2d2. Just reading one EW III scroll on a stack (maybe 20-25 with !might or so?) of large rocks seems like a good idea to me, if we really want to be all stable and anachronistic.
Last edited by cerebovssquire on Saturday, 7th July 2012, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 15:31

Webtiles has no trunk :( I'll need to wait 0.11 release to play AK :( )

Has EW III changed recently? Because I wasn't aware of this addition, and the bot is neither - it still says that on ammo EWIII acts like 1d2 scroll of EWII, so it's better used on weapons...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 7th July 2012, 16:04

nago wrote:Webtiles has no trunk :( I'll need to wait 0.11 release to play AK :( )

Has EW III changed recently? Because I wasn't aware of this addition, and the bot is neither - it still says that on ammo EWIII acts like 1d2 scroll of EWII, so it's better used on weapons...

It happened right before ammo enchantment was removed. I'm unsure if it is in .10 or was a .11 feature, and I am quoting another player (crate I think?) who informed me about the 2d2 thing in IRC. I'm not 100% sure of it myself.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 8th July 2012, 03:28

I'm having some troubles with Avidemux (a video editor) which is embarrassing as someone who owns an unrestricted youtube account. I'll try to use the youtube editor to put this together tomorrow.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 07:44

Lair: is stopper to my oghu... since I don't like waste large rocks... that is fatal many times.

For this, I think a better thing is, dodging is necessary only when YOU have heaviest gear like large shield and very heavy armour - that you must need it.... or you will likely be blasted by many spells normal awful accuracy but hit very hard.

dodge to LVL 11 to make sure at least 8~9... except you have good gear provide EV.

Think which god you will use, I kind of chosen no god which is not good, oka or trog will gift you quite often if you have amulet of faith, and god ability/ or magic can make you safer when encountering dangerous enemy. So, I usually start as ogbe even I go oghu like way, with most skills training on throwing. You can find throwing deal better damage even in melee range... God can gift very good javelins- steel ones, but enemy can pick them up and throw back - that is terrible...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 12:23

I've won a 5 rune OgHu, and played 2 others to a few runes. (dump: http://crawlus.somatika.net/dumps/pubby ... 125550.txt )

I went Chei in all 3 games, and found the game got very easy and consistent after I found his altar. Chei is extremely powerful for OgHu for the first 5 runes, although I wasn't able to get into extended as he starts sucking there. Deimos's suggestions are essentially what I did, and they worked out very good.

Make sure you find more large rocks before you enter the lair. You should find a few cyclopes around D11-13. With Chei's bonuses and putting everything into strength you should be able to carry enough to clear out the lair, so long as you only use them against dangerous things like hydras.

A tip for throwing: use the . key to fire. The rock will land on the square of the enemy, which seems to have lower mulch rate and easier collection. I could be wrong on the mulch, but it is definitely worth doing anyways.

The most useful spells by far are apportation and repel/deflect missiles. Silence and statue form are also useful.

Webtiles has no trunk

http://crawlus.somatika.net
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks:
nago

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 14th July 2012, 06:10

What kind of stats/skills will a OgHu need to get Statue Form castable in -2EV dragon armour? And -3EV dragon armour?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th July 2012, 06:42

ddubois wrote:What kind of stats/skills will a OgHu need to get Statue Form castable in -2EV dragon armour? And -3EV dragon armour?

Why are you casting statue form in those armours? If you want to use statue form I would recommend sticking to a robe. If you do not want statue form, then dragon armours start to make sense.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 20:01

pubby wrote:
Webtiles has no trunk

http://crawlus.somatika.net

Thanks for the information, maybe I'll give a try in the future!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice