Definition of a "vault"?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 12:43

Definition of a "vault"?

As you may have guessed, I'm not talking about the Vaults branch. I would like to know what people mean by a "vault" which (as far as I can tell) can occur anywhere in the dungeon.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 12:48

Re: Definition of a "vault"?

A human-designed bit of dungeon. Opposed to the randomly generated parts. This includes entry vaults (where you enter the dungeon), branch ends, encompass vaults (that replace a whole dungeon level), vaults that can just spawn anywhere on the level, portal vaults (sewer, wizlab, etc.), and so on. You can check them out here.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 31st May 2012, 23:21

Re: Definition of a "vault"?

Normally when people speak of vaults, they are talking about pre-designed rooms or levels (which can nevertheless be highly randomized). This is the common definition and the one you should usually use.

Technically, the definition of vault is a bit broader... it includes things like special rooms (which are generated by Lua), placement of unique monsters, and even weirder things, like the colours of Zot levels and a guaranteed early bread ration. All of those things are placed as "vaults", and you'll find them if you follow Galefury's link.

I should also note that the stuff in dat/des/builder/layout.des are not vaults. These are actual level layouts.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice