Under penance for the first time ever - what now?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 22:00

Under penance for the first time ever - what now?

Even though I've been playing DCSS for some time now, I have never been under penance of my god before. I was doing ok on a MiFi of Oka (had 4 or 5 * piety with him) when a very unlucky turn of events happened:

I read a scroll to ID it. It was a scroll of unholy creation, a friendly Small Abomination appeared. One moment later an Orc Wizard and confused me, I then inadvertently attacked and killed the abomination and instantly fell under penance. How bad is this going to be when considering i'm only XL11?

EDIT: Ok, I think I misinderstood penance. I simply carried on killing and praying on corpses and simply got my piety back, I'm no lunger under penance. Heh, I thought this was going to get me killed.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 22:20

Re: Under penance for the first time ever - what now?

Basically, he'll occasionally drop a couple enemies, usually various types of warriors and giants near you until your penance runs out. You should be able to kill a good portion of them, but keep some solid escape options around at all times in case you get a titan or the like.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 23:48

Re: Under penance for the first time ever - what now?

Igxfl wrote:Basically, he'll occasionally drop a couple enemies, usually various types of warriors and giants near you until your penance runs out. You should be able to kill a good portion of them, but keep some solid escape options around at all times in case you get a titan or the like.

No, you're thinking of wrath. Penance is just when you annoy your god and lose access to your abilities until you get some more piety. (And if it had been wrath, I wouldn't give him great odds of killing a good portion of them at XL11).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice