Streak chars

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 10:33

Streak chars

Which chars are the best to play on-streak?

By that I mean, 100%able without major bad luck.

The best char I've found for this is DDCK, or DDNe, but SpEn comes close :)

I have a 3 streak at the moment, TrMo (okawaru), SpEn (nemelex), DDCK (makhleb) and am currently playing a MfIE of kikubaaqudgha.

Any ideas about what chars would be good to follow on? Thinking MDBe or similar.
Go kiku!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 11:50

Re: Streak chars

Go SpVM ;).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 12:13

(Fe/MD/Mi)Be, MiGl, and HEWz. CeBe is also surprisingly easy. Pretty much any combo that can survive D:1&2 with no problems has a high chance of winning if played well.

For this message the author lucy_ferre has received thanks:
Zicher

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 12:30

Zicher wrote:Go SpVM ;).

Hehe. Sadly, already a spriggan in this streak! :)
Go kiku!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 12:45

lucy_ferre wrote:Pretty much any combo that can survive D:1&2 with no problems has a high chance of winning if played well.

Very, very wise words!
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 12:52

I can't be playing very well then, since I lose a lot of players post-lair / in lair from what I feel is sheer power deficit. I sometimes reach that point and it's like every encounter, in every part of the dungeon I have access to, requires panic use of consumables just to stay alive...

But it's not exactly surprising that I'm not playing perfectly yet :) I just wonder what I'm doing wrong in the midgame.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 14:54

@vintermann,
I think that's the second problem area, especially with the now increased amount of uniques. My only advice would be to train/scum more if you can (especially lair) and use buffs and translocations if you have it. I find the Hive and Lair invaluable to training and always clear them out first, the Lair tends to be easy to escape from thing and the hive is ridiculously easy if you have poison resist.

Remember that you can uses 't,t' to shout for attention which is good for getting monsters to come over to you instead of going to them (and ending up next to hydras). Also, the mid game is where I find gods most useful, as well as training up either range/melee (depending on what you're lacking) I find range fighting is often overlooked as a way to soften things up, even just a few darts or slingshots can weaken up stuff enough not to have to resort to WAND WAND OH GOD HEAL HEAL WAND WAND TELEPORT ARGHHH HAROLD! WAND WAND BLINK WAND WAND NO NOT ELRO....you die.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 15:55

Bim wrote:Remember that you can uses 't,t' to shout for attention which is good for getting monsters to come over to you instead of going to them (and ending up next to hydras).

Shouting makes a lot of noise and will often bring more monsters than just the one you're trying to lure. Use ranged attacks to draw them more discretely.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 18:33

galehar wrote:
Bim wrote:Remember that you can uses 't,t' to shout for attention which is good for getting monsters to come over to you instead of going to them (and ending up next to hydras).

Shouting makes a lot of noise and will often bring more monsters than just the one you're trying to lure. Use ranged attacks to draw them more discretely.

Is new noise system was already implemented in trunk? I mean, where it spreads in waves from epicenter of the source and diminishes and stops at obstacles and doors

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 19:02

Yes
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 10th February 2011, 23:24

I had a long post written up but I clicked the wrong button and lost everything I typed, so I'll just summarize:

Play a centaur. I managed to streak unintentionally on a CeNe recently, and the only real bit of luck I had was finding a pain weapon. CeVm is probably also very good because you can kite things and branch out into necromancy later, although I haven't tired that combo. Centaurs have terrible aptitudes, but they are fast and have high HP, and those two factors mean surviving the early game is pretty easy.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 11th February 2011, 04:13

If I were betting big money on a crawl game IRL or something, my go-to dude would for sure be a SETM of Kiku. Just outrageously powerful at every single stage of the game. SpVm of Vehumet or HeWz of Sif also get honourable mentions for being so consistent.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice