DDEE Deity choice

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 4th March 2012, 23:12

DDEE Deity choice

I'm playing a Deep Dwarf Earth Elementalist and am curious if I should be looking towards Makhleb for the passive healing, perhaps even forgoing Invocations and the other benefits he brings, or should I look towards one of the "caster gods" like Sif Muna or Vehumet?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th March 2012, 23:35

Re: DDEE Deity choice

Deep dwarves' *one* relevant weakness is their lack of healing ability, and Makhleb exactly patches that weakness leaving only all their really good qualities for your gameplay concerns. Sif Muna and Vehumet are fine and dandy for most casters, but they don't patch deep dwarves' *one* relevant weakness and earth elementalists start with a book that already has Lair-capable spells anyway, so they don't need early spellbook gifts.

If you're playing deep dwarves and the idea of taking Makhleb again fills you with some sort of existential angst, you might try one of the other deities that patch over that *one* relevant weakness, like Elyvilon, Trog, or even Jiyva. None of them is anywhere near as good at the job as Makhleb, though, and all of them make you put up with some sort of drawback. Makhleb just gives you exactly what you want, plus some extra, in exchange for killing things you would've killed anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 00:54

No mention of Kiku? I used to devote DD casters to Kiku a lot.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 02:38

BlackSheep wrote:No mention of Kiku? I used to devote DD casters to Kiku a lot.

DD are winnable with kiku. Makhleb just makes things much easier, because he gives the best "healing on kills" boost, of all the gods that heal you. With kiku, you'll need to watch your HP carefully and if you do get damaged, its up to you to heal yourself. This can be hard if you wind up with low max hp from too much wand recharging. Helps to use vampiric draining and a vampiric weapon.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th March 2012, 16:28

minmay wrote:Makhleb, in that order.

Well, if you're talking chronologically, and going for 15 runes, you might make a reasonable case for Makhleb and TSO, in that order. The healing is plenty good and you'll appreciate angels more than demons once you're in Tomb, Hell, and Pan. And Mak's wrath is less threatening than the average Pan level; you simply won't notice it at that point of the game.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 6th March 2012, 17:28

So if you have Makhleb and lets say you get hurt badly and have to run away. What do you do when you have limited other healing options?

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 6th March 2012, 17:57

Whatever you would have done if you'd chosen kiku or sif muna

I.E. Wands and potions

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 10th March 2012, 18:12

Remember that you can give up a point of max MP to recharge that wand of healing, too. Not something you want to do all the time, but it sure beats dying. Don't run around with your /Healing out of charges.

Also, you're an EE. Find some stuff you can stone arrow to death, and Mak will have you healed up right quick.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice