The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 05:34

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Why didn't anyone ever tell me Deep Dwarves are like DCSS cake?

First one I ever rolled up was a Necro who got the snake rune without even sweating once... then I ran into Rupert and a 6 headed hydra.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 09:40

Galefury wrote:10-20. Less and more is also possible of course. Note that you don't always have to explore these, once you have the demonic rune you can just jump into the nearest portal to find unique levels. Until you start looking for an exit, then you have to start exploring again (or you can leave via abyss if you're playing 0.9.1).

What happened with the distortion unwield exit in 0.10?

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 10:03

hayenne wrote:What happened with the distortion unwield exit in 0.10?

It's gone. You get dumped back into the pan level you came from when you return from the abyss. Pan lord vaults got a fairly high chance to contain an exit however, so finding an exit is fairly easy if you can kill pan lords.

Blade wrote:Okay...where do you find the options files offline? I want to add some autotravel stop messages but can't find the files to do so.

That depends on how you installed crawl, and possibly your operating system. On windows: if you used the .zip download it's in the settings folder inside the folder you extracted crawl to. If you used the installer it could be somewhere else. Try %APPDATA% and go from there. I cant help you with linux or mac.

Note that extracting trunk over your old files will overwrite your options files. No idea what the installer does, it will probably also overwrite. In case this happens for you you can launch crawl with "crawl.exe -extra-opt-last include=myprefs.txt" to add an extra "myprefs.txt" file to your options (create it wherever your other option files are). You can put extra options in there, and it wont get overwritten because it doesn't exist in a standard crawl installation.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
hayenne

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 16:41

Is a whip of reaching or a hand axe better for a MdGl, I found the whip on D:1 so no training in axes other then what I started with.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 16:45

The whip is definitely a better weapon but it depends on what you want to use later game (m&f will be more useful if you chose to grab a shield, axes for eventual 2hand) tho I do believe the skills crosstrain anyway. Also M&F will help you out a lot if you find Pikel and get his whip of electrocution/flaming.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 19:22

I am all about ditching whips of reaching for long whips with inherent reaching and the ability to brand them with something that actually gives the weapon some punch.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 19:53

Use a spear instead?

Edit: referring to XuaXua's post, not Jabberwocky's
Last edited by Galefury on Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 20:16

Galefury wrote:Use a spear instead?

I'm not playing trunk plus I have -1 attribute for polearms, not that that really maters when I'm only training a couple of skills.
XuaXua wrote:I am all about ditching whips of reaching for long whips with inherent reaching and the ability to brand them with something that actually gives the weapon some punch.

It's dungeon one, there are not any demon whips.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 20:56

The choice between hand axe and whip on a melee combatant is basically a matter of style. Reaching is not sufficiently valuable to sway your decision, and if you find an axe or whip of venom or electrocution reasonably early you'll want to switch to it anyway regardless which you had before. I'd probably stick with the axe because it's slightly better with the meager skill the character starts with, but it wouldn't take much to change my mind.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 23:06

He's dead now, Crazy Yiuf's Quarterstaff hit me for 24 damage and banished me to the abyss. Thanks everyone for your help. :D :D

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 02:15

I didn't even know he could do that.. out of all the times i've been hit by one and used one that has never happened. The RNG is not your friend today :<

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 02:57

Will Invocations reduce the hunger cost of god abilities? I'm playing a Spriggan and picked Yredelenmul (new policy of picking the first reasonable-looking god I see), forgetting about food issues.

edit: well, I'm still curious, but managed to splat against a ghost by my very next staircase "surely I'll kill it at almost dead"
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 05:27

Also, does evocations reduce food cost of spells from rods, abilities from gear, etc.?

Edit: yes, it does, at least for spells from rods.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 13:41

rchandra wrote:Will Invocations reduce the hunger cost of god abilities? I'm playing a Spriggan and picked Yredelenmul (new policy of picking the first reasonable-looking god I see), forgetting about food issues.

edit: well, I'm still curious, but managed to splat against a ghost by my very next staircase "surely I'll kill it at almost dead"

Well if the ability descriptions are to be believed, no. Hit up wiz mode, and Yred's abilities were still as crazy expensive as they were at Invo 0 with Invo 27. That said, I'm probably wrong, because that's how things seem to work. someone correct me, if they would be so kind.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 15:37

Is it worth using the Disc of Storms as a powerfull circle-nuke weapon? Which character class and level has better chances of surviving with it?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 21:31

How is buff duration calculated? Does it depend on the buff? If so, how are they calculated for Flight and Haste? thx

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 00:30

I play a High Elf Conjurer, and twice in one day the Elven Halls have violated me fiercely (protip, even with Repel Missiles set, six Deep Elf Fighters with Fire and Frost bows at once is too much to endure). What/how should I prepare to take on that branch, or, is it worth the effort and resources to take it on at all? (I have a "completionist" complex and sometimes it's a weakness... maybe it'd be better to leave the Elven Halls alone entirely, but that would probably bug me SO BAD)
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 01:03

To kill melee and archer enemies in the Elven Halls, get into a corridor, conjure a cloud of poison or cold on top of them, and then run away from them. As they chase you, they'll die. If there are a couple of survivors you can do it again.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 09:15

Freezing cloud works great in Elf:5 (see message above). Abjuration helps, too. Identifying and taking out the most dangerous ones first make life a lot easier as well.

But if you end up in open space against six strong ranged attackers, elves or not, you're pretty screwed even with 50+ shield and Deflect Missiles. It's best to avoid such a situation and there's not much you can do in it, no clever tricks to pull, but to try to escape. Scroll of fog might will your chances.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 10:10

Another option is to just go there later. I don't know when you enter the Elven Halls, but unless I need a buckler I tend to put them off until very late (often until just before Vaults:8). Sometimes I do them early if I have cloud+haste and good resists. Abjuration is also very helpful.

avv

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 12:19

Is there a command to reduce the need to spam spacebar all the time when there's a big fight going on on the screen? Or replace spacebar with any key?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 12:37

avv wrote:Is there a command to reduce the need to spam spacebar all the time when there's a big fight going on on the screen? Or replace spacebar with any key?

You can definitely macro any specific key to serve like the spacebar, so you could look for one that is convenient. Theoretically you could macro every key to do this but that sounds annoying. :P
For instance macro , to serve as the spacebar in Crawl. Keypresses needed: ~ (open macro menu), m (macro key), , (select key), \{32} (tell , to function as spacebar). Upon (S)aving the game save the macros too.

I have heard of people modifying rcfiles to reduce message spam. I'd inform myself about that if I didn't want to use macros.

avv

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 13:08

cerebovssquire wrote:
avv wrote:Is there a command to reduce the need to spam spacebar all the time when there's a big fight going on on the screen? Or replace spacebar with any key?

You can definitely macro any specific key to serve like the spacebar, so you could look for one that is convenient. Theoretically you could macro every key to do this but that sounds annoying. :P

But how would I macro every key to work as space? It would be great to not have to spam spacebar in the middle of every command.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 13:16

You can theoretically just repeat what I said for every key. But I said that would be annoying and I meant that. This is because macroing a key replaces its function with the macrod function (seriously, is that grammatically correct or do I need macro'd?). If I macro everything to Spacebar, pressing "zg." doesn't cast spell g at the autotargetted monster, but instead acts as "<spacebar><spacebar><spacebar>", doing nothing.
So if you want to effectively reduce tedium by this and if you think macroing <spacebar> to a more convenient key isn't enough, you'd want to play around with your rcfile to reduce the amount of messages from the start. Good places to ask for this include the ##crawl IRC channel. I have somewhat reduced messagespam myself but only by copying out someone else's rcfile with his permission so yeah. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 14:50

QUESTION:

Does Beogh give a bonus for Orcish Helmet / Boots / Cloak / Gloves|Gauntlet? I have them maximally enchanted and there just doesn't seem to be any benefit between them and a +2 non-Orcish version. Even without Beogh, I was under the impression that orcs received some sort of advantage.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 17:20

At high piety I do believe that Beogh does. though if all of your equipment is orcish then you can check by finding a safe spot then taking off ur armor. checking ur ac, then taking off the rest of ur stuff and taking the difference and remove the bonuses on ur equipment from that. granted from what I know of the mechanics it's a fractional addition with rounding... so if u've got helm/boots/gaunts/cloak with 0 bonus on em all orcish it adds up to an extra pip of AC roughly+whatever ur main armor is with bonus.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 22:04

Am I missing something, or are certain uniques missing properties in their descriptions? I've had a couple of unpleasant surprises.. notably that Pan Lords can, in fact, see invisible, and that even seemingly intelligent, humanlike beings such as Geryon are not susceptible to Intoxication, despite lack of rPois. Is this just an oversight, or is there a definition of "demon" that I am not getting?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 23:01

There's not just resists, but also something called holiness. Most monsters are natural. Those can be affected by intoxication. Undead, non-living, plants, holy and demonic monsters can't be intoxicated. Just like only undead are affected by dispel undead.

The pan lord thing sounds like a bug, please report it on mantis. I think they all can see invis, and it should say so in the description like it does for everything else. Reproduced in wizmode.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
Dingo

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 05:14

I'm pretty sure the answer here is no, BUT are Spriggans able to wear Troll Leather? seems like something they'd be able to make to fit themselves in the creation process, but if not then whatever...

EDIT: answered the question myself. it is YES.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 05:37

Question: Vaults:7, HUGE circle area with smaller rectangle below it (possibly coincidental) with no entries from any angle or even from above or below. I failed a LRD on it and turned my ally orc sorceror against me. Cannot control teleport into it or disintegrate or dig into it. I may try passwal soon. Advice?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 12:02

Serne wrote:I'm pretty sure the answer here is no, BUT are Spriggans able to wear Troll Leather? seems like something they'd be able to make to fit themselves in the creation process, but if not then whatever...

EDIT: answered the question myself. it is YES.

They should be able to fashion themselves a full body troll suit complete with little gloves and boots and a belt made from the tail.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 23:22

Are there any tricks to getting only one or two orcs to follow you downstairs as a HOPr? I often find myself needing to dump Orc Warlords/Sorcerers/High Priests at my Lair stash because they end up taking all the kills and subsequent XP away from my flunkie orcs. It seems the only way to do that is through luck with the Wait command and hoping they're close to you while the other orcs are away and then make them Follow before the others can catch up.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 02:01

How do I maximize the chance of Okawaru gifting me a barding?

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 02:11

There's really nothing special you can do, but acquirement is weighted to fill empty slots so you'll probably get one sooner or later.
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 07:04

Is there any way to make things like krakens work properly in the arena? Really I guess there should be an option to adjust the terrain of the arena so that aquatic creatures aren't confined to a 1x1 area, but making anything fight a kraken tentacle seems to break the arena completely.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 07:24

Found a door scrawled with warnings in Elf that gives me a warning when trying to open it, and if I say no it gives a travel exlcusion option... whats with that?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 07:48

I've only seen a door covered in warnings as the entrance to the slime pits, but I assume it could be some other minor vault of enemies or possibly a portal. Travel exclusion is so that autoexplore doesn't open the door that you decided not to flex with, obv

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 08:37

Random monster opened the door... and inside was... Two Rotting devils and 4 Necrophages. THAT doesn't really need warnings all over it. Kind of a let down.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 08:53

Sounds like a quarantine

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 10:30

Serne wrote:Random monster opened the door... and inside was... Two Rotting devils and 4 Necrophages. THAT doesn't really need warnings all over it. Kind of a let down.

It can spawn in quite early D too, where you do want the warning.
I had a similar encounter on Elf:5 though. I was like "hmm, to do or not to do" and all paranoid about it and finally opened the door. Following that I felt that I had made quite a fool of myself. :P

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2011, 11:53

Will Jiyva give penance if I attack a slime-shaped shapeshifter?

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 30th October 2011, 04:36

At what point is it possible to have lvl9 spells such as fire/ice storm hungerless assuming the char has 27 spellcasting?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th October 2011, 05:01

Serne wrote:At what point is it possible to have lvl9 spells such as fire/ice storm hungerless assuming the char has 27 spellcasting?

You need 38 int, a staff of energy, or Necromutation. 38 int is not achievable with most builds.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 30th October 2011, 07:49

Think it's worth it to use a blink scroll to blink next to a Sleeping Boris in order to stab him?

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 30th October 2011, 11:10

not if it's the last blink scroll that you will need once he wakes up...

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 01:40

Can I dip weapons in poison to make them poisonous in this game? Just started playing it, only other roguelike I've really played is ADOM. Really like it. :)

For this message the author ClefAria has received thanks:
Yermak

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 04:10

ClefAria wrote:Can I dip weapons in poison to make them poisonous in this game? Just started playing it, only other roguelike I've really played is ADOM. Really like it. :)

No, it's not nethack :<

but the "poison" brand is permanent (unless overwritten by a god's brand). Only blue weapons can have enchantments (brands) other than [acc,dmg] and white (artifacts) can have other things such as resistances and abilities etc.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 04:30

AtT wrote:
ClefAria wrote:Can I dip weapons in poison to make them poisonous in this game? Just started playing it, only other roguelike I've really played is ADOM. Really like it. :)

No, it's not nethack :<

I wouldn't know. Like I said, I've only played ADOM before this.

but the "poison" brand is permanent (unless overwritten by a god's brand). Only blue weapons can have enchantments (brands) other than [acc,dmg] and white (artifacts) can have other things such as resistances and abilities etc.

I barely understand what a "brand" is at all.

What other kinds other than blue and white, if any? I think I've seen one white and a bunch of blues, but never anything else.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 04:49

ClefAria wrote:I barely understand what a "brand" is at all.

What other kinds other than blue and white, if any? I think I've seen one white and a bunch of blues, but never anything else.

A 'brand' is a special bonus that weapons might have in addition to its normal weapon properties. An axe of flaming, for instance, has the usual axe properties of a damaging cutting edge, but the blade also catches on fire when you swing it for extra damage. Brands are invisible when not in use, but your character will recognize any weapon he or she has seen in use and remember any relevant brands. Wielding a weapon yourself works to learn if it has a brand, as does letting a monster hit you with it. There are only a handful of ways to change a brand or add a brand to an unbranded weapon, and none of these are likely to be easily accessible to a low-level character.

The blue and white colors don't necessarily mean anything useful. Blue weapons might or might not have a brand. You'll have to check them to find out. Dull white weapons definitely will not have a brand, although they might have a modest + or - to accuracy and damage. A bright white weapon (which you probably haven't seen yet) is an artifact weapon, which might or might not be useful but you'll have to wield it to find out. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to gather up any blue equipment with plans to check for curses and try it on when you get a chance, but dull white equipment will almost certainly be a waste of time.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 31st October 2011, 09:09

Is the hunger cost of Sif Muna's channeling ability randomized or set?

And: can unrandarts floor spawn in the abyss?
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice