Mellee demonspawn 15-rune build?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 16:48

Mellee demonspawn 15-rune build?

Hi ... I've got a great character in progress, and I would like to try a 15-rune ending, but I really would like to avoid having to learn magic. I've got a very good demonspawn of Okawaru going: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Moose/Moose.txt

I was originally hoping to try TSO, then I remembered (DUH) that TSO doesn't accept demonspawn as worshippers. I've considered Trog, or Makhleb. Is this very doable? Is there any real hope of doing a 15-runer without magic?

Thanks for any tips!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 18:46

Re: Mellee demonspawn 15-rune build?

No, you don't need magic, no, it's not hard to allrune without magic (seriously, the game gets much easier as it progresses), Trog is viable and so is Makhleb.
Makhleb is generally more useful than Okawaru on a pure-melee allruner (for switching late) but Trog is also great. You see, he will often gift antimagic weapons which work well against the dangerous 1s and &s. It's important to remember that both Greater Servants and Brothers in Arms can still be useful.

Ways to have great damage output even without TSO are twohanders, which are much stronger than onehanders in extended, Unarmed Combat, and slaying.
If I personally wanted to allrune an unarmed and non-magic Ds, I'd pick DsMo of Makhleb. I'll give you some numbers for damage output.

Unarmed Combat, skill 27: 30 base damage (3+skill), delay 5 (reduced by 1 for every 5 skill points. Claws add 6 to base damage at mutation level3, other Ds mutations offer auxiliary attacks. Damage increases with Fighting skill. This also allows a shield (for what it's worth in extended, more on this matter below)
Executioner's Axe, skill 26: 20 base damage, delay 7. Damage increases with weapon skill. Damage increases with Fighting skill.
Demon Blade/Whip/Trident: 13/7, 11/5, 13/7 respectively.
Yes, these allow shield usage. No, this won't help a great deal *especially* in extended in comparison to a superior damage output. Your greatest fears will be paralysis (which disables your SH), hellfire and smiting (both unblockable), torment (unblockable), Fire or Ice Storm (ditto).
I advise either getting a better extended endgame demon blade than elec if possible, or optimally a triple sword.

Those boots of running will also help a great deal. If you have cTele and +Blink artifacts that will also help if you are incapable of distracting or killing a lord.
Rods allow spells like DMsl, Abjuration, Summon Demon, and a multitude of level 2-6 damage spells and clouds if you can find the right ones. This can be extremely useful, but requires luck or correct usage of acquirement scrolls and luck.
Last edited by cerebovssquire on Monday, 24th October 2011, 19:08, edited 3 times in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 19:02

Btw, isn't Unarmed with Claws 3 (+6 dmg) is going to be better then any two-hander except for ridiculous artefacts requiring about the same xp investment? It also can be used with a shield, too (you only lose off-hand punch which is insignificant).

Edit: nevermind, I can't read apparently...
Last edited by thenewflesh on Monday, 24th October 2011, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author thenewflesh has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 19:06

thenewflesh wrote:Btw, isn't Unarmed with Claws 3 (+6 dmg) is going to be better then any two-hander except for ridiculous artefacts requiring about the same xp investment? It also can be used with a shield, too (you only lose off-hand punch which is insignificant).

Yes. The claws aren't even necessary. Therefore
If I personally wanted to allrune an unarmed and non-magic Ds, I'd pick DsMo of Makhleb.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice