The Second Best Nemelex Follower?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 02:53

The Second Best Nemelex Follower?

I've noticed the general consensus that a SpEn is the best follower of nemelex, but I always starve to death from spell hunger before I can find enough non-meat food.
Now I'm trying out a KoAs, but there has got to be something else. Any suggestions?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 07:53

Re: The Second Best Nemelex Follower?

"everyone"

I've noticed the general consensus that a SpEn is the best follower of nemelex

Err.... the consensus is probably that SpEn is a *good* follower of Nemelex and that Nemelex is one of the best gods for SpEn along with Kikubaaqudgha. Consider, for instance, how many consumables a mummy can sacrifice (besides the general sacrificability (is that even a word :P ) of detect curse or vulnerability scrolls, you have no use whatsoever for food or potions, so you can snag quite a number of Wonders decks early.

(also, you know that you should train Spellcasting on SpEn quite heavily and not spam Honeycomb/Ration spells? Getting Ensorcelled Hibernation castable without a hunger cost is rather trivial)

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 19:12

What class would you recommend for a mummy of nemelex?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 03:09

Stalker! (or Transmuter if not playing trunk)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 12:15

Necromancer, Air Elementalist, Warper would be my first choices... but as said before Nemelex is good on anyone (with the exception of those who start with Trog or Lugonu, where the wrath is nothing you can deal with before higher-levelled).

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 13:22

For me Spriggans and Felids are at the top because they're pretty "noob-friendly", then mummies just because they don't need any food. But mummies are a pain in the ass to get going. You need some great luck with experience cards to get your skills to decent levels so you don't get your ass kicked, well, at least not too much. Try a MuWz of Nemelex, though. :D
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 22:42

Everybody has a great endgame with Nemelex. Really, I think decks are sorely underrated. I even ditched Makhleb for Nemelex with my DDNe at endgame. Decks are pretty crappy without Nem's abilities, but with them they can be amazing. I think thick melee classes would greatly benefit from Nemelex after running with Okawaru or similar for a while; nothing quite like having a few stacked decks of escape and destruction to have instant, controlled teleport and sick LCS for someone who can't even cast a spell (think golden dragon armour or silenced)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 08:28

Dingo wrote:Really, I think decks are sorely underrated.)

Huh? Nemelex is usually regarded as "overpowered with a lot of micromanagement needed to be really powerful" which seems quite accurate to me.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
TehDruid

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 19:32

Eh, not that much micromanagement. I think they're more overpowered than most people realize... what with tomb cards, instant controlled teleport, legendary trowels (see here), early powerful summons, exp cards, helix, and the fact that none of these require MP or stats besides evocations to use

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2011, 19:41

There is micromanagement involved to use Nemelex to his full; this means knowledge of deck weightings (for instance, if I'm just sacrificing everything I'm only going to get destruction and summonings decks), gift timeouts if we want to be really pedantic, and the fact that you're going to want to micromanage your decks by stacking them, etc.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2011, 22:46

Just don't do what this noob did here.
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 9th December 2011, 21:04

Spriggans in general are probably the best nemelexites, thanks to their high speed allowing them to run from bad draws and high Evocation apt.

Mountain Dwarfs are excellent Nemelex worshippers, with a high Evocation apt and a heavy armour playstyle where the magical powers of the cards become very useful.

Mummies are pretty good since they can sacrifice all the corpses and food and potions. And then immunity to both poison and torment make the Destruction decks pretty much harmless to them (just be careful where you aim).

Kobold have good Evocation apt, so they can make a good choice, and they're not as frail as Spriggans, much more basic to play than mummies, and unlike MD they can easily go into spellcasting.

That would be my ranking. But honestly, Nemelex is great with pretty much everyone.
(as a side note if you have Hunger issues with Spriggans, try a Wizard, they have lower hunger-cost for their spells and higher starting Spc)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice