Spriggan Enchanter

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2022, 03:06

Spriggan Enchanter

Having fun, but absolutely clueless.

1) What god? Usually pick Okawaru, but that is just because I understand the benefits.

2) Where to put attributes? Str, int, dex?

3 In stabbing, (10 short blade, 15 stealth) is a +4 dagger of speed or a +2 dagger of electrocution likely to do more damage?

4) Shields: have a +2 buckler of fire but no other fire resistance, worth using the shield and investing in skill ups even at -3

5) Armor: 0 skill in armor, 12 in dodge. Using +2 robe of the archmage but have steam dragon and acid dragon armor available. Worth investing in skillups even at -3?

More as I think of them till he dies.....

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2022, 07:42

Re: Spriggan Enchanter

The only one I'm confident in is (4): Yes, it is worth wearing a buckler when you're using short blades and investing in a little shields skill. I have no idea how much shield skill is optimal, and have not had any idea ever since the shields change a while back.

As for the rest, I know there's a viable build focused on casting Hexes/Discord at maximal spell power (maximizing Int and wearing Archmagi) and another viable build where you invest in some Dex and wear acid scales. I find the former easier to play than the latter.

Oka is stupidly OP, but on a short-blade wielder I might actually prefer Ru.

When you're stabbing confused enemies, the dagger of speed will do better, and when you're stabbing sleeping enemies the dagger of elec will do better (but you'd also hope to one-shot everything you sleep stab regardless)

For this message the author petercordia has received thanks:
grinrain

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2022, 12:05

You can use steam dragon armour without any armour skill. If you can fully enchant it, you'll have considerable protection.
Maɟaŋ

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2022, 12:55

grinrain wrote:1) What god? Usually pick Okawaru, but that is just because I understand the benefits.

SpEn is strong enough to win without a god, so it is best to choose the one you enjoy playing.
That said, the best gods are those that let you deal with monsters that you can not hex. With Oka you generally hope for either a highly enchanted quickblade and slaying, or perhaps a demon whip, and use melee. You can also use darts and throwing, but I am not sure if darts are still efective against unhexable enemies. I feel that Oka is not the strongest option. Many gods works fine: Vehumet (conjurations), Makhleb (demons), Nemelex (cards), etc. Ru is very good in my opinion. You need some strong, irresistible attack to kill the few unhexable enemies.
grinrain wrote:2) Where to put attributes? Str, int, dex?

Choose int or dex. Int helps to hex things (better if you have high level hex spells), dex helps to have more EV. Str is useless.
grinrain wrote:3 In stabbing, (10 short blade, 15 stealth) is a +4 dagger of speed or a +2 dagger of electrocution likely to do more damage?

In sleep stap it does not matter. Train stealth to 27 eventually. (Note that heroism boosts stealth and short blades, so activate it before stabbing high hp opponents, and you can simply leave stealth at 22 if you wish.) Confusion stabs are better with the speed dagger. In fight the elec is much better, unless you have a lot of slaying. Try to find a quickblade or demon whip for fighting.
grinrain wrote:4) Shields: have a +2 buckler of fire but no other fire resistance, worth using the shield and investing in skill ups even at -3

Once your character stabilized it worths it. You do not need high level of shields skill and low skill levels are very cheap (from mid game onwards) regardless of the attribute.
grinrain wrote:5) Armor: 0 skill in armor, 12 in dodge. Using +2 robe of the archmage but have steam dragon and acid dragon armor available. Worth investing in skillups even at -3?

Acid dragon armour is actually not better than steam for a spriggan, because it has EV penalties. Steam dragon armor does not need any armour skill. I would not train armour skill and would not wear acid if I have steam. Archmagi is a solid choice over steam dragon armour anyway, especially if you found high level hex spells to disable things. (Altough maxly enchanted steam armour is also ok, and better if you have no high level hex spells.).

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th June 2022, 03:48

Ok, making slow progress.
How does enfeeble work? Should help a stabber, but not sure worth using.

And, with short at 10, stealth at 16, at +2 dagger with drain or a +6 quick blade?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th June 2022, 12:05

And as I was finishing Lair 2, got the Dagger of Immovable Spirits +9 (Pain, Fr++, will-, +3 int). So start skill up on necro?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th June 2022, 13:26

You can get strong melee with that dagger + Necro, but the problem is that those monsters that are impossible to hex are usually immune to pain, too. It is convenient to have good melee, though.
So skilling up necro is not super important for the dagger. I most likely would only train much necro if I have some necro spells I want to use as well.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
grinrain

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice