how to play new monstrous Ds?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 11th December 2021, 11:24

how to play new monstrous Ds?

I have a monstrous demonspawn with a stinger and demonic touch.
Let's assume for the moment that I don't get antenna.

What's the best way to utilise these mutations?
With the usual hooves+claws+horns I'd go for statueform (with a shield), because that way I get to keep the benefit of all my mutations without suffering too much of the downsides. Also the statueform melee benefits from both Str and Int, so it's possible to play towards it regardless of background.

However the stinger removes the cloak, which is one of statueform's open equipment slots, and statueform + shield blocks the effect of demonic touch.

I could go for bladehands which (somehow?) doesn't block the effect of Demonic Touch (based on my wizmode testing), but I've never been a huge fan of late-game bladehands.

Character dump here: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/pete ... ordia6.txt

Any advice?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 12th December 2021, 09:11

Re: how to play new monstrous Ds?

That char is not monstrous, you have demonic magic and demonic touch. I’d play it as a stabber or quick blade fighter/summon hybrid. When you cast spells you have a paralyze chance for nearby things based on spell level that checks will, so you should be able to (using touch) land it pretty well. Short blade stabs to clean up. You can go lighter in armour because of your ice mail facet, and if you feel squishy add a reflect amulet to get some SH points while keeping your shield slot open.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 12th December 2021, 19:22

Re: how to play new monstrous Ds?

It says in the dump
  Code:
  1502 | D:2      | Discovered your monstrous ancestry.

So I think demonic touch and weakness stinger are body-slot facets; and demonic magic and condensation shields are tier 2 facets

Edit for small update: I got horns.
I don't know which tier 3 mutation it is yet. I consider going for short-blades, because it might be fun, even if I don't think it'll be stronger than using a shield would be.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice