Trog vs. Okawaru

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th March 2019, 13:49

Re: Trog vs. Okawaru

byrel wrote:This is a lot less true than it used to be. First... they're only missing body armour for a slot that could be branded MR. They can use MR hats, rings and cloaks, which is the majority of MR sources. So I don't think they have particularly low MR in Lair (and what checks MR in Lair? Basilisks, which aren't that hard to deal with.)

No weapon, no boots, no gloves. Kirke, Rupert. Also note I was talking about Lair, Lair branches and Vaults, the latter two are full of MR-checking monsters.

For AC, steam/acid dragons and trolls are all decently common now, so you have a good shot at better-than-robes light armour. And if you go a start that doesn't sac dex and train a bit of dodging, you're going to have decent EV as well. Hydras will be tougher than average, but your regen makes pillar-dancing to chop heads with an untrained fire weapon quite viable (and that's ignoring large rocks, wands of acid, etc., which you probably have for dealing with a few hydras.)

I am playing OgHu at the moment, all I found before Vaults was a troll armour which is good enough for experienced players (especially since I am primary ranged character) but not for new players, also it is technically worse than +2 robe because it gives exactly the same AC (training Armour at this point is a serious mistake) and has EV penalty. It is ridiculous to compare the body armour to something like +4 plate armour which is typically used by Mi/HO at this point, also these species have a good chance to find boots and gloves and actually train Armour while also having much better aptitude in it.
Pillar-dancing with untrained fire weapon is far from tactics which new players use. Also I am not sure why but last time I used some flaming weapon it didn't cut heads (it was a hand axe as far as I remember).
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 14th March 2019, 15:25

Ogres and trolls are both far more frail than HP leads to believe. With a good shield + throwing trained they can output monstrous physical damage in both melee and ranged combat but they're not exactly newbie picks.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th March 2019, 17:36

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
byrel wrote:Pillar-dancing with untrained fire weapon is far from tactics which new players use. Also I am not sure why but last time I used some flaming weapon it didn't cut heads (it was a hand axe as far as I remember).

As far as I know, the chance of cutting a hydra's head with flaming weapon depends on the damage dealt, but I suspect the breakpoint is so low that one can notice this is actually a thing only with lower tier base type untrained weapon.

I am not sure I remember correctly this hidden gem so take it with a pinch of salt.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 17th March 2019, 11:38

Why use a fire weapon, though? For a troll of Trog, wouldn't BIA or rage + a giant mace be better options?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DsBeTr, 15DsFiRu, 3DsMoNe, 3FoHuGo, 3TrArOk, 3HOFEVe, 3MfGlOk, 4GrEEVe, 3BaIEChei, 3HuMoOka, 3MiWnQaz, 3VSFiAsh, 3DrTmMakh, 3DsCKXom, 3OgMoOka, 3NaFiOka, 3FoFiOka, 3MuFEVeh, 3CeHuOka, 3TrMoTSO, 3DEFESif, 3DsMoOka

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 17th March 2019, 18:41

Shtopit wrote:Why use a fire weapon, though? For a troll of Trog, wouldn't BIA or rage + a giant mace be better options?

For the extra damage !s, those are always nice. A +6 giant club of freezing appeals to me. :)
Honestly, even without a brand:
"You flatten the 7-headed hydra like a pancake!!!!" is a fairly common message with trolls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th March 2019, 07:46

Shtopit wrote:Why use a fire weapon, though? For a troll of Trog, wouldn't BIA or rage + a giant mace be better options?

BiA are not free, it is easy to run out of BiA if you use it for every hydra. Rage + weak weapon is a gamble, by berserking you lose ability to use scrolls/potions.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 18th March 2019, 10:56

With a troll I use large rocks against hydras. Large rocks and wands.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
nago

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 18th March 2019, 18:20

Yea, wands are good. Troll Artificer is a start I liked.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DsBeTr, 15DsFiRu, 3DsMoNe, 3FoHuGo, 3TrArOk, 3HOFEVe, 3MfGlOk, 4GrEEVe, 3BaIEChei, 3HuMoOka, 3MiWnQaz, 3VSFiAsh, 3DrTmMakh, 3DsCKXom, 3OgMoOka, 3NaFiOka, 3FoFiOka, 3MuFEVeh, 3CeHuOka, 3TrMoTSO, 3DEFESif, 3DsMoOka

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th March 2019, 18:37

Magipi wrote:With a troll I use large rocks against hydras. Large rocks and wands.

Training any ranged weapon vs them works well enough.

https://i.imgur.com/9ixnFh9.png --> https://i.imgur.com/rIn2SkV.png

Doesn't even have to be large rocks if you're throwing.
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice