All melee char- two handed axe or long blade and shield?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2018, 21:37

All melee char- two handed axe or long blade and shield?

I've beat a 15 rune run with two handed axes- haven't had a successful run with long blades yet. Does the shield really make up for the lesser damage+ the nice cleave skill axes provide?

At least I've read those are the two best choices for pure melee output. Excuse me if I sound dumb lol. I've played a while but not seriously for at least a year or two - just tabbing til death on my phone lately lol.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2018, 22:38

Re: All melee char- two handed axe or long blade and shield?

broad axe plus shield is fine

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Majang

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2018, 00:03

There's no reason why shields are specifically tied to long blades, you can use 1h weapons of any type with shields. I personally love unarmed + shields, as it has a lot of top end power, but weapons are generally more efficent at low skill levels. Still, if you are considering 15 runes, that's the kind of character who can afford to take unarmed to > 20 skill and still also train shields to 15. You can see how that kind of investment can be tough on characters without a lot of experience, of course. You still need to train fighting, armor/dodging, magic skills, invocations, etc.

If I had to pick a weapon to use with a shield, I'd probably say eveningstar/double sword are best, and then demon tridents next. If you can bless a demon trident, even better (at least for extended). The +1 base damage probably isn't worth giving up a good brand for non-holy vulnerable monsters. The first two can be somewhat hard to find, but by the time you've got 3 runes and are looking for extended you have a pretty good shot of getting one.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2018, 01:55

I mean no firm reason. Don't long blades have the best one handed damage?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2018, 01:58

I believe that's maces now; long blades were given riposte. While useful, the general impression I've gotten is most people think riposte is on the weaker side.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2018, 02:01

Ok nice. Think I'm playing .20. Whatever the dcss non tile version is from the play store- on my phone.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 22nd March 2018, 22:17

any of these work ok with shiled: unarmed, demon blade (eudemon blade), demon whip (sacred scourge), demon trident (trishula), broad axe, double sword, eveningstar
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice