wow that abyssal rune

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 14th May 2017, 02:57

wow that abyssal rune

Playing DsAK, I figure "Abyss has to be easier than Vaults:5, I have Lucy"

Good GOD DAMN trying to get the rune out of vaults there though, there's just an endless stream of so many regular ol' Abyss monsters that fighting my way in was terrible. And yeah I can bail but to try again hahaha I'm on A:1 so have fun finding the stairs down again and then again. At least once I got the rune I could just leave and not get killed by the horde of monsters behind me.

Does the rune still spawn randomly on the ground?

tl;dr abyss suuuuuuuuucks
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 14th May 2017, 03:10

Re: wow that abyssal rune

I've seen it spawn on its own before, but that was when I exterminated almost all of the actual abyssal vaults to force mine to spawn. It might be very rare?

Go corrupt Slime instead, it's way easier than either Abyss or Vaults once you get the hang of it.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 14th May 2017, 03:12

Thanks, I did manage to gank the rune. Corruption in slime does sound easier.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 14th May 2017, 04:31

Apport is xtra broken in abyss.

Abyss is miserable in general tho. It is unpredictable and therefore more dangerous than vaults or slime, it is likely to mutate your character, and it deals real world sanity damage via tedium. Lucy makes it safer, but would not recommend regardless.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 2
Rast, 1158511

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th May 2017, 05:07

Well, Abyss is easier than Vaults for Lugonu because you can instantly escape if going to die. Monster-wise Vaults is easier IMHO: no torment, no mutations, stable tiles.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
stoneychips

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 14th May 2017, 20:43

If you're with lucy you can also go to abyss if you're gonna die in V:5, plus you can gate in a ton of abyss beasts to wreck everything else on the level. I imagine "hatch in, if you're in a bad area, read ?noise, corrupt, and tele out once things get scary" is not a terrible plan actually.

Just found a book with Apportation in it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th May 2017, 21:47

I usually only do abyss on characters that I'm intending to 15 runes on, and so by the time I get to abyss I'm completely and totally overpowered. Since pan often gives you an exit to the abyss instead of a real exit, I'll often run pan first, then exit to the abyss, and get the rune then. So by then, it's easy.

Generally in crawl I value defenses and trying to think about ensuring you can't die, but I do think that abyss (and some other parts of extended) do place more emphasis on your ability to quickly clear swarms of monsters. It's a good case where "the best defense is a good offense" really applies. But for most of crawl, I think the best defense is a good defense.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 02:00

The more I think about it, the more I realize I should not have tried to mess with that vault, and just kept running away until I either found an easier situation or just found the rune laying around.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 02:59

tasonir wrote:I usually only do abyss on characters that I'm intending to 15 runes on, and so by the time I get to abyss I'm completely and totally overpowered. Since pan often gives you an exit to the abyss instead of a real exit, I'll often run pan first, then exit to the abyss, and get the rune then. So by then, it's easy.

Generally in crawl I value defenses and trying to think about ensuring you can't die, but I do think that abyss (and some other parts of extended) do place more emphasis on your ability to quickly clear swarms of monsters. It's a good case where "the best defense is a good offense" really applies. But for most of crawl, I think the best defense is a good defense.

I'm pretty far away from this perspective. I think the abyss is an exercise in 1) threat assessment and 2) walking away. Abyss is ducking around corners and then casting blink to gain 2 spaces, /Digging when you hit a dead end. Abyss is generally not engaging monsters, but varies greatly by character.

I'm generally really content to go into the abyss if I have more than ~8 tele scrolls. If I'm going into the abyss after depths, I don't expect to use more than 5 of them.

I never go into the abyss with an intent to quickly clear swarms of monster, unless, as previously mentioned, a character is really overpowered, or I'm taking on a rune vault.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 06:54

Stealth is pretty good at netting a free rune in the abyss.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 24th May 2017, 03:59

+1 for the real life sanity damage.lol

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 24th May 2017, 21:03

The ones that have been nagging me lately are more the chock full of spatial distortion and negative energy bomb vaults, with some shining eyes or other mutators to boot.

I wander around finally hammering the melee dudes outside and then slam by all the unavoidable blast on contact, or at range stuff. Pooh.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 25th May 2017, 03:01

But if I didn't hate the abyss I wouldn't love it. It would be no fun being cast in the abyss if I knew it was going to be easy to get out. It has its certain charm to it.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 25th May 2017, 04:13

My latest win I wandered around the Abyss for a solid real life hour before I finally found the rune. It was... tedious. Although I think I was cheating as a DD in +14 shadow dragon scales with an executioner's axe. I went in there for my third rune because I figured it'd be easier than, say, Vaults:5 because I hate Vaults:5 with a burning passion. Thing was it really wasn't hard apart from a few tense moments where I ran into a Balrug or something. But yeah the Abyss sucks I've had so many others splat in there for one reason or another.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice