Pick My Next Build For Me

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 22:11

Pick My Next Build For Me

I'd like some suggestions for my next build to try. I feel a lot more comfortable and have more success with melee or ranged builds than with mage builds, so I probably ought to try the latter though I'm not at all committed to "blaster-only". I'd also like to do at least two new out of the three species, background and god. So for instance, if I do GhEE I want to restrict myself to a god I haven't done, but if I do HEWr I can pick any god. I'm not looking for something super challenging, but o-Tab-zzz isn't quite what I'm after, either.

The ones I haven't done are:
  Code:
Hu   CK   Ash
Dg   Sk   Beo
DD   Tm   Chei
DE   Wr   Ely
HE   AM   Hepl
Fe   Wz   Jiyv
Fo   Su   Nem
Gh   Ne   Qaz
Mu   FE   Ru
Na   IE   Sif
Op   AE   TSO
Og   VM   Usk
Te   Wn   Xom
          Yred
          Zin

Please suggest a build and tell me why you think it would be fun and/or instructive for me.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 22:23

Did you know that you can ask RNG as well? When beem watches your game you can type something like

Code:
!rng Hu Dg DD DE

and the answer is something like

Code:
The RNG chooses: DD.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 23:05

Re: Pick My Next Build For Me

DgIE. The starting book carries you far and then you get the fun decision of adapting to what you've got, as you don't have a god to give you spells etc.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 23:14

Play dgwn or gham bc they are funny memes, or maybe play a word combo like husk or heck.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 17th December 2016, 23:42

Or muck, the only one where it describes the quality perfectly.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 12:50

Sprucery wrote:DgIE. The starting book carries you far and then you get the fun decision of adapting to what you've got, as you don't have a god to give you spells etc.

DgIE sounds good. I've tried IE in the past and a couple times last night and haven't figured out a good skill progression. It seems to me that up through Lair, there are six things one can train:
  • Ice
  • Conjurations
  • Charms
  • Summoning
  • Fighting/Dodging
  • Weapon
... and the best order in which to do this is not at all clear. Where my thinking is right now is this:
  1. Throw Frost is a trap that costs you spell levels, because Freeze is so good, and if you find a sling then that's just as good for no MP cost.
  2. Train just Ice and not Charms to get Ozo's castable, since Ice will help get the 4th-level spells online and they are important to get early
  3. I have no idea whether to get Ice Beast or Icicle first.
  4. This is more general for casters than just IE, but I'm not sure, when the time comes to trail melee, whether Fighting/Dodging or a weapon skill is more important to train first.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 14:59

I am not the best player, but here is my advice:

1.) Throw frost is ranged damage, which is very very useful in some situations, when you never want to stand next to a monster.
2.) I usually just train ice to 6 or even 8, not because of future spells but to increase spellpower of freeze. But the first few levels of a skill are extremly cheap, so you can train charms to 1 or 2 after it if you want.
3.) I always go for icebeast first, training summoning a lot to lower success rate asap. Ice beasts are very good even at low spellpower, and they are better in lair because many enemies have high ev. Throw icicle is also very strong tough.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 2
Sar, Sprucery

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 16:53

sanka wrote:I am not the best player, but here is my advice:

1.) Throw frost is ranged damage, which is very very useful in some situations, when you never want to stand next to a monster.
2.) I usually just train ice to 6 or even 8, not because of future spells but to increase spellpower of freeze. But the first few levels of a skill are extremly cheap, so you can train charms to 1 or 2 after it if you want.
3.) I always go for icebeast first, training summoning a lot to lower success rate asap. Ice beasts are very good even at low spellpower, and they are better in lair because many enemies have high ev. Throw icicle is also very strong tough.

Those are good advices, only an addendum: freeze is actually much stronger than throw frost against most enemies, because it ignores both AC and EV.

There are very few against which throw frost is usually better, namely very high melee damage, low defences monsters, such as ogres but I usually skip throw frost and just run away from them until I have ice beasts\other ways to deal with them - but as new player you can absolutely learn throw frost and use in the specific cases it's good.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 18th December 2016, 22:21

Re:

Turukano wrote:Did you know that you can ask RNG as well? When beem watches your game you can type something like

Code:
!rng Hu Dg DD DE

and the answer is something like

Code:
The RNG chooses: DD.

Do note that the RNG always chooses Xom. Xom always chooses the RNG? Something like that.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 21:21

nago wrote:
sanka wrote:I am not the best player, but here is my advice:

Those are good advices, only an addendum: freeze is actually much stronger than throw frost against most enemies, because it ignores both AC and EV.

There are very few against which throw frost is usually better, namely very high melee damage, low defences monsters, such as ogres but I usually skip throw frost and just run away from them until I have ice beasts\other ways to deal with them - but as new player you can absolutely learn throw frost and use in the specific cases it's good.

And if you play an older version where the bug existed so you could smite-target Freeze, there's no reason to ever use Throw Frost. XD

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice