Should I keep these mutations?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2016, 23:51

Should I keep these mutations?

I decided to quaff 4 mutation potions and eat 5 chunks of radiated meat because the game is still early, XP lvl 10.

I got

Positive
- RC++
- Shaggy Fur 1 (+1 AC)
- Clarity

Negative
- Clumsy (-2 Dex)
- Weak (-2 Str)
- Blurred Vision (Slow Scroll Reading)

I also got bigger wings on my Draconian body and immediately lost them in the same quaffed potion lol, the result was my avatar has the big wings model but can't use them to fly since, presumably, the same potion that spurred their growth has atrophied and rotted them. Still looks cool.

I feel like this was a fortunate round of mutation roulette.

Thoughts?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 00:53

Re: Should I keep these mutations?

Sorry, you gambled and lost. Blurry vision is worse than your positive mutations together.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 01:32

To put in context why that mutation is so bad, consider that scrolls contain some of the best escape tools, including blinking, teleportation and fog. When you want to escape, generally you want to do it immediately. Granted, teleportation already has a delay, but at least you can spend that delay running away rather than standing in place, squinting at a scroll, while something bashes you over the head.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 05:43

I recently had a TrCK that was steamrolling everything and then got into some trouble in Lair, where I then realized that Xom helpfully gave me blurry vision. So that game ended. So yeah, blurry vision is probably the worst mutation in the game, with the possible exception of reduced/no device healing. Although I would argue that reduced device healing is easier to work around.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 29th December 2016, 07:56

I would be tempted to dip a level or two deeper into lair just in case ice cave spawns.

But yeah quaff curemut asap

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice