Comments on new-new Nemelex: Still good af

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 14:31

Comments on new-new Nemelex: Still good af

Friends,

If you are looking to turn your mediocre combo-guy into an invincible killing machine, Nemelex is your man. Nemelex has never been better. Switching the card spellpower from piety/evocations to piety/invocations was a buff, because invocations apts are generally better and the benefit of having better evoker power was always marginal compared to the awesome power of decks.

That's not the big buff though. The big buff was switching from decks of war to decks of summoning. Decks of war were garbage, but because the summons were so good, you spammed them anyway if you knew what you're doing. Now that you have actual decks of summoning, previously a rare treat, you know you're going to get something good every draw. No more retreating to a hiding place to spam useless deck of war effects until you summon something good. It's like you have high power summon demon and shadow creatures, except you're xl 13 wearing +2 plate of fire resistance and you have unlimited mp.

Now there are folks out there who worry about things like hostile summons. Let me tell you, everyone I know who worries about this also thinks berserking is dangerous. The most elementary ally tactics get you out of almost every hostile ally situation decks can produce, even if you draw blind, but most of the time you don't even have to do that. If your character is so frail you can't handle a round of combat with a hostile summon, just use triple draw.

In conclusion, trunk Nemelex is the best Nemelex. Top tier.

Yours Faithfully,

goodcoolguy
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 5
cerebovssquire, duvessa, Hellmonk, Queen Cassie, scorpionwarrior

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 14:40

Re: Comments on new-new Nemelex: Still good af

What's the proposal here? Did you mean to post in CYC?

Spoiler: show
I have never played Nemelex in trunk, it's not that great in 0.18. Do you berserk on Zot 5 as often as on D1? Really?
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 14:59

Wow, bad moderation. This is commentary and criticism on recent changes to a god.

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 16:33

I dunno, I played Nem before and after the Evo->Invo switch and it felt like a nerf to me. You usually find a bunch of useful wands even pre-Lair and with oldNem you could use it with better efficiency. And I don't think there's a summoning card as powerful as high Evo sack of spiders with its ranged antimagic and MR-bypassing confusion, webs and just the general amount of fast hard-hitting creatures it creates. That's on the high end. I'm not saying that Evo > Nemelex, but it feels like now I have to train two skills to get the same amount of power.

I guess it's a buff if you're something like a Ds, though.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 20:16

Sar wrote:And I don't think there's a summoning card as powerful as high Evo sack of spiders with its ranged antimagic and MR-bypassing confusion, webs and just the general amount of fast hard-hitting creatures it creates.
IDK, I'm pretty fond of getting a friendly pan lord.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 21:16

Friendly pan lords are the most fun summon in the game IMO, but they range from amazing to more-likely-to-kill-you-than-enemy.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 00:27

goodcoolguy wrote:Friends,

If you are looking to turn your mediocre combo-guy into an invincible killing machine, Nemelex is your man. Nemelex has never been better. Switching the card spellpower from piety/evocations to piety/invocations was a buff, because invocations apts are generally better and the benefit of having better evoker power was always marginal compared to the awesome power of decks.

That's not the big buff though. The big buff was switching from decks of war to decks of summoning. Decks of war were garbage, but because the summons were so good, you spammed them anyway if you knew what you're doing. Now that you have actual decks of summoning, previously a rare treat, you know you're going to get something good every draw. No more retreating to a hiding place to spam useless deck of war effects until you summon something good. It's like you have high power summon demon and shadow creatures, except you're xl 13 wearing +2 plate of fire resistance and you have unlimited mp.

Now there are folks out there who worry about things like hostile summons. Let me tell you, everyone I know who worries about this also thinks berserking is dangerous. The most elementary ally tactics get you out of almost every hostile ally situation decks can produce, even if you draw blind, but most of the time you don't even have to do that. If your character is so frail you can't handle a round of combat with a hostile summon, just use triple draw.

In conclusion, trunk Nemelex is the best Nemelex. Top tier.

Yours Faithfully,

goodcoolguy

Unironic thank you for this post. I've used Nemelex way less than I should because I disliked deck spamming and the inventory cost, but you actually make it sound fun. I will reconsider playing Nem instead of my usual strat of 420 Fedhas every game.

Blaze it,
Hellmonk

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 06:16

Low power cards are still dangerous as summons can be hostile, so you have to pump up your Invocations fast, and try to not use decks of destruction unless you enjoy things exploding in your face. Other than that I agree, decks of summoning are incredibly powerful, so you just need to get one, get some Invo to be safe and you're set.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 07:02

This has made me want to use Nemelex for the first time ever in this game.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

For this message the author Queen Cassie has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 11:58

Leszczynek wrote:Low power cards are still dangerous as summons can be hostile, so you have to pump up your Invocations fast, and try to not use decks of destruction unless you enjoy things exploding in your face. Other than that I agree, decks of summoning are incredibly powerful, so you just need to get one, get some Invo to be safe and you're set.

Actually, they are not dangerous.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 13:22

Hellmonk wrote:Unironic thank you for this post. I've used Nemelex way less than I should because I disliked deck spamming and the inventory cost, but you actually make it sound fun. I will reconsider playing Nem instead of my usual strat of 420 Fedhas every game.

Blaze it,
Hellmonk

Yes, gods that play the game for you are crucial to my lifestyle as an alcoholic who also plays crawl sometimes. Blaze it, drop it, shoot it up -- Nemelex will take care of you.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice