stabbing and daggers

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 03:58

stabbing and daggers

ok, so daggers provide a damage bonus when the stabbing skill is triggered. does this make daggers worth using over the otherwise superior and not-too-rare sabre? if so, it's almost certainly temporary; is there some level of short blades skill where the stabbing bonus gets overshadowed by the greater damage potential of a better weapon, or is it just in general better to upgrade when the chance arises?

all i really know about this is that daggers are good for stabbing, so it gets real tempting to just hang on to a SpEn's starting +1 dagger until i can find something enchanted or branded. am i horribly wrong in this judgment?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 04:10

Re: stabbing and daggers

Once your stabbing skill is high enough, you can stab very well with other short blades as well as a dagger, but daggers are better earlier.

See http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... ing_damage

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
marikvulpina

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 04:27

Re: stabbing and daggers

well, that is very informative in many ways indeed... but i wonder if there's anything that would give you an indication of when your stabbing skill and dex is high enough to make better short blades outdo daggers on stabbing? that seems like it would be as helpful as the spell hunger chart, to me. it may not matter as much as i think, though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice