Ru question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 10:21

Ru question

Is there an "optimal" way to play Ru? Like going for minor sacrifices only? How do you feel about saccing hand on melee char or saccing eye/resists/artifice?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 10:38

Re: Ru question

I like to take the biggest sacrifices I feel I can handle, to quickly gain piety. Hand or eye can be ok.

A good combo imo is love, artifice and stealth. When you've sacced love, artifice does not hurt that much because you couldn't summon allies anyway. And without summons, distraction stabs are rarer so the stealth boost to stabs can go.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 10:52

Agree with Sprucery. While it can be tempting to try to not cripple yourself too much with many minor saccs that means the healing/jump/wrath come that much later online, when the worst of the game is already over.

If you start by saccing artifice you immediately get healing access. What to sacc though does not follow an easy decision matrix, Ru is really well designed here.

Dont sacc words/potions together; dont sacc your only defensive skill; a spriggan doesnt want to sacc stealth but is fine with armour/eye, octopodes can afford to sacc resistances but not dodging etc.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 14:03

Taking minor sacs is a mistake in my opinion, especially early on. Go for big sacrifices unless the character is already very strong (in which case I'd still try to get to Leap quickly I guess). Don't sac your main magic attack school of course.

Saccing a hand or an eye is more a nuisance than a serious handicap.

Artifice is the one I would be most reluctant to sac. Evokers, wands (HW/Haste) and some rods are just really strong. Still, early on it gives a lot piety.

The last time I looked at the piety gain I saw that some minor sacs (like purity/essence) give 0 piety. I don't know if that's been changed, but it feels like a bit of a trap. Stay away!

If you got the right items saccing resists has a very small cost for a lot of piety!

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 14:26

I recently took a GrFi of Ru with 15 runes.

Think I did Courage, Resists, Stealth and no Conj/Trans magic.

Courage was interesting. It made me play a less reckless. But with Ru I tend to be more reckless so maybe I just played normal. Lack of resists wasn't a big deal.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 14:28

My dumb answer is that, if you are a melee character, you can sacrifice essence, arcana, stealth and love without losing much. I wonder how sacrifice love and demonic guardian interact.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 14:51

Shtopit wrote:My dumb answer is that, if you are a melee character, you can sacrifice essence, arcana, stealth and love without losing much. I wonder how sacrifice love and demonic guardian interact.

Yes, of course. But you don't get those every time, and it's not like you are going to decline everything else waiting for those to pop up.

Basically, the reason I made this thread is that currently I'm playing a melee dude of Ru, and from the first set of sacrifices I chose hand, because yolo. This gave me *** instantly at XL 6 and I pretty much snowballed from that. I was lucky enough to find a decent one-handed weapon too (+11 vorpal morningstar). This made me wonder if making major sacs is a way to go with Ru or this will usually screw you over and I just got lucky. In other words: should you prioritize getting piety ASAP over not crippling your char or vice versa?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 14:56

Yes, you should pick big sacrifices early. Once I get power leap I relax a bit. It's possible to get there with 2-3 sacs, so that can often be before lair. Power leap is insanely strong. Most of the time I use it to fight near safety (stairs, open doors, plants, other unpassable terrain) and then jump out when needed.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice