Doors Vault

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 17:03

Doors Vault

In general, should this be opened? It contains many monsters, which you can kill to get lots of exp. However, the monsters might also kill you. Reading a scroll of teleportation right before opening it, and then letting the monsters disperse might be a good idea?

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 17:05

Re: Doors Vault

I've always been opening those, since most of the times there isn't much of threat in there and it is basically more exp. If there is - just use fear\tele\blink.
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 17:15

In depths, it can contain titans/juggernauts/gold dragons, and one I opened in zot had, among other things, 3 orbs of fire.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 18:28

I'll be the first to admit I'm bad at Crawl, but in general, I think trading tactical consumables for XP is not a good trade. There's plenty of XP and loot you can get with no risk of dying; there's basically no time in Crawl when making a risky choice is a good play.

So I'd say no, don't open it.

Me? I would probably open it. But I get killed opening vaults I know I shouldn't open.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, vergil

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 20:03

There is nothing in the vault worth burning a consumable, or possibly risking a death for, the only point in opening it is for novelty.

Don't ever open it if your goal is winning.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice