A selection of axes: which has the highest average damage?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 05:58

A selection of axes: which has the highest average damage?

Something that has never been entirely clear to me despite playing for years is how to determine which of a number of powerful weapons is "best". In most games, of course, the selection is quite ordinary and often it's just a matter of deciding whether to use a battleaxe or an executioner's, that sort of thing.

Occasionally, however, you find an unrand and/or randart that really stands out, by having a higher enchantment than is normally possible, being branded with speed, or having a very high bonus to strength. This is where I have difficulties. In my current game, I have:

The +8 Mithril Axe "Arga"
The +10 battleaxe of Beyond {drain, Str+3 Int+3 SInv Stlth+}
and a +9 executioner's axe of flaming.

I have no idea which of these will have the highest damage output, or at what skill levels. Being a formicid only makes it more difficult to choose, as I will keep my shield regardless. Obviously, one could easily win the game with any of these; I'm simply curious as to which one of them is most effective for killdudes.

I'm aware of a fight simulator that can be used to shed some light on questions like this, but I do not know how to find or use it. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Blomdor on Saturday, 6th August 2016, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 06:11

Re: A selection of axes: which has the highest average damag

Press & in a game other than this one, then press f. This is fightsim and it's pretty easy to work.

e: PS if you have 26 axes the answer is the exec axe.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Blomdor

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 06:15

Thank you! I'm sorry for being stupid. Wizmode doesn't seem to work online, and I've always played there. Hopefully then I can answer the raw numbers question, but I'm still very curious about opinions as to which of these axes a formicid would generally want to use. People tend to put more thought into skilling efficiency than I usually do.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 14:01

Is there a way to get to wizmode online?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 16:32

As far I know most of the servers have it disabled because it causes too much load.
One of the less crowed server had it working if I remember correctly, but I don't know which one and if the option is still available
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 19:20

I think admins can also enable it per-person; I vaguely remember watching gammafunk fuck around in wizmode once upon a time.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
nago

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 19:25

admin privilege!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 20:34

Any of those is a great weapon. I'd probably go Arga. Speed is a great brand and it is fun to use unrands.

The exec axe will do more damage, but not until you get above 20 levels in axes, which is a lot of experience. But, again, any of these is really, really good.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 13:54

As a rule of thumb (assuming even brands / enchantment level) you can divide the base damage by the attack speed (modified by your weapon skill of course) for each weapon. Then go with the highest number.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 11th August 2016, 06:00

Sar wrote:admin privilege!
Arrhythmia wrote:I think admins can also enable it per-person; I vaguely remember watching gammafunk fuck around in wizmode once upon a time.

You lamers just go crawl.berotato.org:8081. I can't believe Arrhy and Sar don't know how to wizmode online!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 05:06

ololoev wrote:
Sar wrote:admin privilege!
Arrhythmia wrote:I think admins can also enable it per-person; I vaguely remember watching gammafunk fuck around in wizmode once upon a time.

You lamers just go crawl.berotato.org:8081. I can't believe Arrhy and Sar don't know how to wizmode online!

I play offline these days :D
take it easy

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice