Hat of Pondering question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 23rd March 2013, 15:09

Re: Hat of Pondering question

partial wrote:so is the hat any good or what?

almost always no

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 4th July 2016, 02:42

partial wrote:so is the hat any good or what?

:lol: This is the post that tipped the scale for me to register for the forum. Such a serious thread, with much passion in the posts, and a beautifully funny way of getting back on topic.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 12:33

I've concluded from this thread that I belong in the group that doesn't know yet how to properly evaluate the effect of Ponderous, so I should avoid the hat. Does this same caution apply to the new Ozocubu's Armour? I gather that the movement penalty is the same as the hat's--but unlike OP I am not at a zig, I'm before S-branches and could really use some AC.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 12:43

The biggest difference with ozo armor is that you now don't autoexplore with that always on, but you ideally cast it when you need after getting in a good position, so its malus very very rarely matters.
So if you spot a speed 10 monster you want to fight, you lure it in a safe cleared area as you should always do and then fight with free AC while the movement malus doesn't matter. If you don't want to fight a speed 10 monster you don't cast ozo armor and you move away.
Against faster monsters (like Centaurs or Black Mambas) you may end to cast ozo armor in a not 100% safe area but that very rarely matters and you should cast it anyways because is much more likely that the AC is gonna help against an hard monster than the speed movement penalty killing you later.

Oh, to be 100% fail proof you could learn flame tongue to cancel ozo armor in the very rare case it does matter. Yes, it is stupid.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 4
MainiacJoe, Sandman25, Sar, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 13:26

Thanks nago, that was clear, to the point, and very helpful.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 05:52

Hat of pondering is awesome for casters. You don't need to move a lot, and +0.1 move delay is not a noticeable malus while benefits really worth it.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 07:06

A character whose offense suffers greatly when they runs out of MP and typically makes lots of noise in combat doesn't need to move a lot?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, nago, Rast, Sandman25, ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 08:10

I played a DE a while back that found this thing somewhere in the midgame. I used it just for the hell of it. It was bad, but not so bad I didn't win.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 13:49

nago wrote:you could learn flame tongue to cancel ozo armor in the very rare case it does matter. Yes, it is stupid.

oh my wow
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 01:15

You don't need flame tongue you can just carry one of those useless fire wands. Or are they flame wands?

Thank god the other ice/fire wands were removed, that naming scheme was awful.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 05:57

Sar wrote:A character whose offense suffers greatly when they runs out of MP and typically makes lots of noise in combat doesn't need to move a lot?

You may build various theories, but I played with this hat a lot (and used fireball!) and I can say pondering doesn't harm that much.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
Sar

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 07:22

I wouldn't wear the hat if I couldn't get really good use out of it. I'd consider it for spell power dependent casters if I don't already have a +Int hat/helmet and less than MR+++.

Sadly I would then not feel good about auto-exploring. I'd become more paranoid about only revealing tiles at the edge of LOS if possible. Even with pondering it takes a speed 10 enemy rather a long time to catch up to the player if they start seven steps away. On most floors that's enough time to get to decent territory. That means on some floor layouts I'd probably take it off. Auto-exploring round a corner to stand next to an [insert speed 10 heavy hitter] would be very bad.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 07:26

"Grave digger" award spoted...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 21:33

Overall I think the hat is probably more likely to be useful to someone who's running a ziggurat, as the original poster was. You don't really have to move very much in a zig, you're probably hasted, and the mana/int/MR are quite good. Ah well, the thread is 3 years old, what am I even doing here? :)

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 11th July 2016, 21:37

I won with Hat of Pondering on a naga skald. It didn't seem to matter that much.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 17:53

No. It's a rare case in which the trade off is worth it.

Examples are people fast enough to not be slower than a human, people who are already so slow it doesn't matter, zigs, etc. But for a non-fast, non-naga character outside of extended, it's not worth it.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st July 2016, 19:48

make new threads

and raise the old

one is silly

and the other fool's gold

the tavern is a circle

it has no end

that's the thing

I cannot comprehend
Previous