PSA: MR is not required to win the game

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 08:46

Re: PSA: MR is not required to win the game

AC/EV/Slay are definitely "not necessary or even that useful".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 09:36

Hands wrote:AC/EV/Slay are definitely "not necessary or even that useful".

They are somewhat useful in many situations, whereas resistances are useless in most situations.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 09:42

Sprucery wrote:
Hands wrote:AC/EV/Slay are definitely "not necessary or even that useful".

They are somewhat useful in many situations, whereas resistances are useless in most situations.

It's trivial to win without any one of them though.

For this message the author Hands has received thanks:
Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 12:30

As various people have noted previously, getting paralyzed isn't that bad as long as you're in control of the circumstances. Getting paralyzed in a pack is very different from being paralyzed at edge of LOS by one monster.

I can't control the examples I have to offer, as I haven't been playing with a goal of proving this particular point, so every win that had a resistance ring had it in inventory whether or not it actually was used or helped.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 12:49

Lasty wrote:As various people have noted previously, getting paralyzed isn't that bad as long as you're in control of the circumstances. Getting paralyzed in a pack is very different from being paralyzed at edge of LOS by one monster.

I can't control the examples I have to offer, as I haven't been playing with a goal of proving this particular point, so every win that had a resistance ring had it in inventory whether or not it actually was used or helped.

I died to a single Orc Sorcerer from full HP when being paralyzed for 5 turns and started complaining about paralysis, you survived a 6 turns paralysis from a monster who can kill any monster at range (if Ancient Lich has paralyse, it has OoD (9d20) also) and believe paralysis is ok as far as I understand.
Do you lure Ancient Lich to a kill hole to make sure it is adjacent if you are paralyzed so it cannot deal much damage with OoD? Your character was lucky to have rElec (the same AL has Lightning Bolt (3d29)).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 15:25

PSA - no specific resistances or attacks are necessary to win, but you're playing very stupidly if an item exists in your game that would give you resistances, abilities, or attacks that increase your chance of survival and you don't use it when appropriate.

There. And while we're stating the obvious

PSA - The best way to improve your chances to win is to not die whenever possible.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Sandman25

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 1st July 2016, 07:53

Yes; MR is not required to win the game.

Neither is worshiping a god.

Nothing is required to win the game. But a lot of things greatly help. You'll be wishing you had that MR when a Lich in Depths/Zot Abyss 5's you.
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice