DD of Pakellas... feel like Pakellas can be absurdly strong

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 13:47

DD of Pakellas... feel like Pakellas can be absurdly strong

With a healing wand, with just enough piety to cast Quick charge and 16 MP, I've been able to easily bring healing wands to max without effort like this:

1- Quick charge takes 10-11 MP, 2-3 charges to wand
2- Another quick charge, cost: 2 MP, 1 charge
3- Another quick charge with just 1 MP, 1 charge

the last 2 charges are incredibly cost efficient compared to the first one, allowing me to easily charge it without any plausible penalty. Am I exaggerating or is this incredibly strong?

Kind regards.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:37

Re: DD of Pakellas... feel like Pakellas can be absurdly str

Can you do this over and over, say with multiple wands all nearly full?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:41

having infinite wand charges is kind of good for any race

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:42

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Can you do this over and over, say with multiple wands all nearly full?

One full MP pool allowed me to recharge just one wand that way. For multiple wands I guess I would have to collect MP from killing monsters of quaffing a magic pot.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:45

Sure. I guess I meant this: Once the wand is full, and you use one charge, can you refill that one charge for only a single point of MP?

If true, that would be absurdly powerful.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:51

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Sure. I guess I meant this: Once the wand is full, and you use one charge, can you refill that one charge for only a single point of MP?

If true, that would be absurdly powerful.

Yes, I can do that. One charge for 1MP and meaningless piety for the buck. Try it on Wiz mode.
Last edited by Rydra on Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:53

Playing DD of Pakellas is a huge mistake if you want to have fun playing the game.

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks: 3
floatboth, nago, ZoFy

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:54

RBrandon wrote:Playing DD of Pakellas is a huge mistake if you want to have fun playing the game.

You mean it's very easy to win with it?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 15:36

RBrandon wrote:Pakellas is a huge mistake

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 3
Bart, duvessa, RBrandon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 18:00

Quick Charge costs 2/3 of current MP, and its affect is a function of MP spent and I'm assuming piety and/or Evocations skill. In the early game it has a highish cost since your MP pool is small and low-XP enemies don't replenish it quickly. Even so, in my one game with it thus far I never at any point felt like I was running out of wand charges even as I made hex-wand/stab my primary killdudes. By S-branches, you have accumulated enough potions of magic and have a high enough MP pool that regenerates quickly enough you can turn a depleted wand into effectively a fresh-off-the-floor wand whenever you want to. In the late game I'm using it more often to recharge rods during combat than to top off wands, and I like this usage of it a lot.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 18:02

Given that I'm only a so-so- player and I'm doing very well with my first-ever Pakellas character, it is probably overpowered. I think switching the effectiveness of abilities to Invocations instead of Evocations would go a long way towards balancing it. I still think though overall that it isn't a bad thing to have a blaster easy-mode god to parallel Trog.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 18:49

Pakellas's design problems aren't directly related to power level. It turns out he's also probably too strong but that's really a minor problem overall.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 19:04

Honestly, I don't get this "DD of Pakellas" thingy at all. So you picked a god that does exactly the same that you can do anyway? And instead of Makhleb refilling your health automatically, you do a routine of 20 key presses to do it? And that is overpowered?

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks: 2
floatboth, Sar

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 19:19

Time for DD reform!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:05

Magipi wrote:Honestly, I don't get this "DD of Pakellas" thingy at all. So you picked a god that does exactly the same that you can do anyway? And instead of Makhleb refilling your health automatically, you do a routine of 20 key presses to do it? And that is overpowered?

It turns out that putting two overpowered things together is pretty strong, huh.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:13

Magipi wrote:Honestly, I don't get this "DD of Pakellas" thingy at all. So you picked a god that does exactly the same that you can do anyway? And instead of Makhleb refilling your health automatically, you do a routine of 20 key presses to do it? And that is overpowered?

With just 4PM and a good amount of food, (which you probably can get easily from corpses) you have 3 charges of healing wand, which translates into about 50-90 HP. That's strong for sure for such a low sacrifice. Mixing this with the +3 evo apt of DD and a couple of good rods (god 2 rod of clouds and 1 iron rod from Minotaur) and surge, and suddenly you have a killing machine. I've tried it and I've been easily carried.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 21:53

Rydra wrote:

With just 4PM and a good amount of food, (which you probably can get easily from corpses) you have 3 charges of healing wand, which translates into about 50-90 HP. That's strong for sure for such a low sacrifice. Mixing this with the +3 evo apt of DD and a couple of good rods (god 2 rod of clouds and 1 iron rod from Minotaur) and surge, and suddenly you have a killing machine. I've tried it and I've been easily carried.

There is no way you will ever run out of recharges as a DD of Makhleb, or even come close, unless you are doing a speedrun or are extremely bad, as in, worse than using only the o and tab keys in combat, somehow. I don't really get it either, makhleb summons are quite good, and I don't think rods aside from clouds are that good. Sure, Pakellas is viable for DD but I don't see it as something to get overly excited about.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 16:36

From what I can gather; Pak gives you things no other god really gives you. The flexibility of the god is truly maddening.

Probably the biggest thing Pak gives however is a real alternative to Oka/Trog for melees. They're not using their MP anyway, and they invest into Invo instead of Evo and in trade off get on-demand healing; on-demand ranged spells; teleportations and so on.

Pak isn't even that bad for casters or more battle-mages. MP gain on kill that overflows into bottles? Gain MP killing weaker foes with your melee and you have the pots and the mana for when you actually need it. No other god lets you stockpile mana.

I can't really think of a background or race that can't take Pak and do well except maybe Vine Stalkers.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 18:34

Don't you still regenerate MP from bites as VS^Pak? If so, seems crazy strong.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 02:53

raikaria wrote:Probably the biggest thing Pak gives however is a real alternative to Oka/Trog for melees.

dude but "real alternatives to oka/trog for melees" is like, literally every god except sif and maybe vehumet.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 4
duvessa, nago, Sar, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th June 2016, 09:49

...and even Vehumet is fine!
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice