Where to go now?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 13:47

Where to go now?

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... rson12.txt
What should I do now? The electrocution dagger is better than the pain one, right (because I have no necromancy skill)? I am currently training fighting at 10%, maces and flails at 10%, armor at 10%, dodging at 10%, spellcasting at 20%, conjurations at 10%, fire magic at 10%, earth magic at 10%, and conjurations at 10%, according to the wiki guide for GrEE. Are these skill training settings right? Also, I zapped the wand of cure wounds once, but it took 3 charges because it was unidentified. Should I identify it? Also, I cleared the first circular chamber of orc 1, and part of orc 2, but there were a bunch of priests around the upstair to a second chamber of orc 1, so I had to leave, and a orc warlord chased me out of orc 2. What should I do now? Thanks!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 14:20

Re: Where to go now?

You must find the entrance to Lair between Dungeon level 8 and 11.

It is easier than Orc, and you should be able to gain a few xp level here. Do not enter Elven Hall at any cost now. It might be too dangerous to finish Orc now, but if you manage it more power to you, you might find a few good items in the shops.

You should definitely identify the wand of healing (and any other "yellow" wand). This is a potential life saver. You wil be able to recharge it with a scroll of recharging later.

It might vary with your resistance and ability but the canonical path is more like Dungeon to 10 -> Lair 1-7 (or 8) -> Orc 1-2 -> Shoals/swamps 1-3 -->spider/snake 1-3 --> finish shoals /swamps -> finish snake/spider --> Dungeon to 15 --> Vault 1-4 ( do not enter V:5 yet) --> Depth --> etc

Since you have scroll of remove curse, you should probably try to put on all your unidentified rings and amulets. This is rather safe if you can uncurse them.

Maybe do not overtrain fire yet because you don't have a lot a fire spell available.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 14:44

arandomperson12 wrote:I am currently training fighting at 10%, maces and flails at 10%, armor at 10%, dodging at 10%, spellcasting at 20%, conjurations at 10%, fire magic at 10%, earth magic at 10%, and conjurations at 10%, according to the wiki guide for GrEE. Are these skill training settings right?

Sorry, but stop following that guide. Also stop training Spellcasting for a long time. Stop training M&F, you have no useful weapons in that class. Don't train any spell skills until you have new spells that require training for.

Wield-id the axes. Use the dagger of electrocution until you have a better weapon. Enchant the cloak or the boots. Like seren said, try on the unidentified jewellery, including the ring of protection. Find and do Lair.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
duvessa, osklington, Tiktacy

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 14:47

arandomperson12 wrote:I am currently training fighting at 10%, maces and flails at 10%, armor at 10%, dodging at 10%, spellcasting at 20%, conjurations at 10%, fire magic at 10%, earth magic at 10%, and conjurations at 10%, according to the wiki guide for GrEE.

What guide is that? We all should memorize who wrote it, and never read anything from that guy ever again. You should only train 1 or 2 skills simultaneously. Try to decide what is best for the characterin a short run, and improve that.

Right now you have a great weapon: the elec dagger (all elec weapons are great). You should use that, and train some short blades skill for it.

And yes, find the Lair and go there. After that: back to Orc.

Edit: Oops, I was ninjaed by Sprucery.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 15:01

You can probably finish Lair with Petrify + LRD, you can use LRD on petrifed monsters, (except maybe for things who have a very high MR like death yak). So maybe focusing on conjuration + earth for the time being would be enough.

I suspect you might have used some automatic training, move to manual training right from the start.

With a caster, training evocation as early is probably useless. Important wand like healing, hasting or teleportation do not rely on your evocation level as far as I know and you have plenty of other mean to kill things at range.

M&F won't likely be your endgame weapon, it is more likely that you will use a magical staff, so don't over train your main hand weapon unless you want to have a hybrid caster/fighter but that does not seem to be the case here.

Armour might not be really useful in the end either since you are going to use a light armour with a low base AC. (Armour only increase your base AC, and diminishes the spell casting failure associated with AC)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 15:54

LRD is Earth-only, LRD is also good and doesn't need petrify because characters can move and levels have walls and features.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 16:29

You probably want a Staff for a weapon that enhances casting. You can get by with a mace that has high damage, until then.
Dagger will not be enough damage towards the end of lair in my experience.

Earth magic is strong on it's own.

I would advise to focus on Armour and Earth magic and get staves to min delay when you get one. Learn as many earth spells as possible. Grab utility spells that give mobility and regen. Translocation will probably give you your panic button spells.

Earth Magic can be noisy so having translocation magic would help you get away. Or just the swiftness spell.
Getting regeneration up and running would be a good idea. the spell is better than the amulet at high power.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 16:34

You can assign items to slots with = key. If you assign one item to slot a and another to slot b, pressing ' key will swap between them. Handy if you, say, want to hit things with a weapon and cast spells with a staff.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 16:38

TonberryJam wrote:Dagger will not be enough damage towards the end of lair in my experience.

I bet that you have zero experience with elec daggers.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 17:30

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 21:18

The number of people willing to write entire novellas worth of bad advice still amazes me. Like, when people win a few times do they suddenly start thinking they aren't terrible at the game?

Giving advice on CrawlWiki needs to be officially and indefinitely banned and purged, unless they are going to start allowing good players to edit it.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, Hellmonk, osklington, RBrandon, Sar, Tiktacy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 21:33

Never understood it either. I guess that is what having self-esteem is like. How terrible!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 21:37

Magipi wrote:
TonberryJam wrote:Dagger will not be enough damage towards the end of lair in my experience.

I bet that you have zero experience with elec daggers.

He forgot to train to min delay ;)
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 21:41

duvessa wrote:The number of people willing to write entire novellas worth of bad advice still amazes me. Like, when people win a few times do they suddenly start thinking they aren't terrible at the game?

Giving advice on CrawlWiki needs to be officially and indefinitely banned and purged, unless they are going to start allowing good players to edit it.

I spent weeks following a Mountain Dwarf Fighter guide when I first started playing and in hindsight I think it set me back several months. It literally was so bad that it made me do worse at the game for a long period of time even after denouncing it as garbage.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 00:58

Should I train short blades? Gargoyles are bad at them. Also, I saw Maud, who has a scimitar of distortion, and am scared to fight her, as I do not want to be banished. Will petrification +LRD work? She has 80 MR.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 02:05

arandomperson12 wrote:Should I train short blades? Gargoyles are bad at them.

Low levels of skill are very cheap, and short blades get good benefits from low levels of skill but cap out early. If you have a good weapon, like a weapon of electrocution, you don't need to worry too much about species aptitudes. Those aptitudes are more important for a weapon that will be your main killing tool all the way until the end of the game, not necessarily something that you use for killing river rats in Lair. But even then, a really good weapon with a bad aptitude beats a bad weapon with a good aptitude.

arandomperson12 wrote:Also, I saw Maud, who has a scimitar of distortion, and am scared to fight her, as I do not want to be banished. Will petrification +LRD work? She has 80 MR.

This is an excellent time to execute your special move 'quietly walk away'. You don't want to be hit by a scimitar of distortion if you can avoid it, because even if you are hard enough to face the Abyss doing so will still involve an extended period of time in the Abyss, which is a punishment. You might be able to kite Maud around for an extended period of time to chip through that bloated hp pool, but it certainly isn't worth it and if you make a typo while dancing around you might end up cornered and eating distortion attacks. Just walk directly back to the stairs whenever Maud finds you, and return to the level by a different set of stairs. It'll take some time before Maud can find you again, and in that time you can either explore that level more or just go down the stairs to the next level, leaving Maud behind. Maud can sit on that stupid level until the end of the game for all you care.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
arandomperson12, osklington, Sar

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 03:53

I would also like to add my ten cents that I found the exact same advice and had a really difficult time getting used to the game. Why on EARTH is GREE suggested as the beginner build on the wiki? (get it?). I agree that gargoyles are pretty awesome with additional ac, poison resist, and flying for early lair runes. But why EE? That is a very difficult class to play as opposed to a berserker for instance. Beserker you are tab machine with brothers in arms for anything that has a red name. I would say conjurer is a much easier class to play with much more powerful spells with more range and you don't need to find another book for iron shot midgame. Granted I should have read the manual/need to.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice